1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Most rookies come in and flash tangible attributes/skills (athleticism, ball-handling, range etc), but struggle to fill gaps in terms of winning basketball (defensive reads, intangibles, setting solid screens etc).

Garuba is someone who already showed on a high level internationally that he can do the latter. But players like that don't thrive in chaotic rebuild situations with high-lineup turnover and minimal structure, they thrive when there's a clear pecking-order, culture and the goal is to win games.

Now, he clearly needs to put in work on his J and his ball-skills, and maybe shed some weight in the off-season, this is clear. But I'm not worried about him, as long as he puts the work in, because he'll find his role and his value will start to show once this roster starts to come together in a year or two.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Give him more mins. I can forsee him being Lou dort type player. Poor offense, great defense.
    Too early to say we whiff on this pick.

D-rock, AroundTheWorld and vator like this.
  3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

If what we saw of him lately is any sign, with some offseason work Garuba is going to breakout next season. Some dudes just have a knack for getting rebounds and their hustle/defense keeps them in the league. Chuck Hayes anyone?

4. vator

vator Contributing Member

5. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

The kid comes from an injury and is overweight due to inactivity! Give him more time to develop!
    It seems we haven't learned anything from the Jalen Green case!

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

16 assists and 6 TO's as a big man.

Two blocks per 36.

5 of 7 FT's. 61% from 2pt land.

27.8% from 3 for someone who has never shot 3's in his life.

I know, the sample size is too small but there are no bad signs. His on floor defensive ranking (vs his teammates) is always good.

He's going to be our best defender in less than 12 months if he doesn't get packaged, and he will be excellent for both Jalen and Sengun once he develops a 34% 3pt shot. I can see it. He's obviously going to do nothing else but shoot and get in shape this summer and I'm excited to see how that turns out.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Everyone repeat after me… ROOKIES NEED TIME TO DEVELOP!

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Players like Garuba, like most young players, need well defined and SIMPLIFIED roles.

Silas prefers his players to do EVERYTHING.

Coaches like Nurse, Kerr, D'Antoni, etc. put players in systems to maximize success and limit failures.

fattz and vator like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Like the way he looks. Hoping he can drop 10 pounds going into next year

RocketsTerps and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lou Dort has shot better than 33% the past 2 seasons since becoming starter.

Good comp.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He can give that 10 pounds to Green. :D

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

As long as @DreamShook has faith in Destiny Garuba, I’ll have faith in Destiny Garuba.

Mathloom, DreamShook and D-rock like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, now do Bruno.

14. vator

15. vator

16. anchel

anchel Member

Yes. I hear Silas preaching for possessions with no plays called. Early offense definitely works better arriving in transition than getting the ball from the baseline after a basket. Still, that's obviously an strategy focused on the development and decision making of our talented wing young men (Porter, Green, Christopher), yet the roster is made up of more players and if you want to play good basketball eventually (we suck), you're gonna need some kind of structure and assign some roles.

vator and D-rock like this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He'll get back in shape after the injury.. here. And, I see him filling out over the next few years. This kid isn't the best athlete, but nevertheless seems destined to be a good role payer.

ApacheWarrior and vator like this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That tweet is by someone who is afraid to tell you that Bruno Fernando finished with a 26.5 PER with thd Rockets this season.

Not only is it - by a mile - best on the team and 2x that of Garuba, but it's better than 1994-95 Hakeem Olajuwon.

Also - lol, I'd say the Rockets have no business being more successful, today of all days! They're exactly as successful as they wanted to be

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Great post, do you think Fernando is a part of the future?

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Even better - we should build around him. Trevelin Queen, too. His net rating was 5.6. Jalen Green should be benched or cut. His net rating was only -11.6. One of the worst on the team.

All hail the net rating.