1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garuba is looking like a miss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayhow92, Dec 27, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Guys taken in the 20s are more projects, he looks like a project to me.....guys at the top of the draft are supposed to be NBA ready.

DD

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For at the top of the draft and with how young players can get drafted, teams value more what they think a player will be over current ability unless the team is a title contender already. Duarte would have gone a lot higher last year if NBA ready was a supposed requirement of top picks.

Green was/is a risk.

#242 Joe Joe, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    aaquaa likes this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Not giving up on Garuba.

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, that’s the type of play on D that we had in mind.
    However, he said in an interview before the season that he’d like to handle the ball more. Then in training camp the word came out that he’s letting it fly from 3…
    I think he’s an intelligent kid who saw a guy like Jeremy Grant come in like him as a weak-side shot blocker, then develop a 3ptbshot, then become a primary option with a big contract… He has the physical tools to replicate that with hard work, but has got a looooooooong way to go, obviously.
    G-league gives him the opportunity to work on all those aspects. Let’s see if he progresses down there.

carib likes this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's too late. Some know-it-alls on CF already labelled him as a bust. Didn't you hear? :rolleyes:

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Garuba is fine right now. He's 19 and pretty stiff offensively, but getting starter's minutes in the G-League is where he should be. He's got great defensive instincts and could become a very good rim protector and individual/team defender at the NBA in short order. Where he needs extra work is flexibility, post-up/finishing, outside shooting, and ball-handling.

He's surprisingly a good passer for a young big man. Imagine Sengun as our starting 5 next year and Usman starting to get some backup minutes. I could also see them seeing the court together some if they both improve their 3pt shooting. I'm very pleased with all of our rookies so far. Yes, I wish they were all playing like 25 year olds, but that's just not a reasonable demand for their age or this level of competition.

Really hope we move some vets in the next few weeks so we can go full (or almost) "Youth Movement". It will be beautifully ugly at times, but oh the potential we'll see start to develop and also the draft position we can attain!

#247 Shark44, Jan 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

If you are drafting 2, you expect to get a centerpiece to build around for years to come.

1, 2 and 3 picks should be those guys.....the rest you hope to get.

DD

D-rock likes this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Precisely, to expect these kids to contribute in the league immediately is unrealistic.

Green’s struggles shouldn’t be surprising given his age and lack of ‘NBA strength’, and both Sengun and Christopher are surpassing expectations.

i3artow i3aller and jcmoon like this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Could Chet Holmgren,Garuba, and Sengun be played together. Blocks for days. You press with your guards and block shots at the rim?

jcmoon and Shark44 like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Our version of Cleveland's Big 3? I'd have to study lateral movement skills for Garuba and Chet, but likely BBIQ wise they're all smart enough to be able to switch and play team defense. That would really be an interesting combination, really kind of like 3 PFs. Damn, I'm not sure how well it would work, but I like you're thinking out of the box. Offensively, how those three shoot the 3 would be a big factor in it working as well.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

The big thing is that they are kids. They are 19. You have to give them time to develop. I can't give up on these guys. They will find their place eventually on this team when they are good and ready.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Garubage dump?

hakeem94 and coachbadlee like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Seriously. I predict Garuba will surprise us before the end of this year. He does need the G League reps and to work on his shooting but his defense has tremendous potential. His shot looks to me like he has a softer touch than a Siakam or Draymond. Very optimistic on his future.

i3artow i3aller and jcmoon like this.
  15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

‘Garuba is looking like a miss’ and ‘Alperen Is our best player’ are two thread titles that provoke a lot of unnecessary conversation.

How can you think you can a judge a 19 year old coming from Spain after half a season in the g-league? I mean he could be terrible and still you need to give more time. But he has actually a ton of positives. And he has a successful history. I guess the only player who is not a bust is Mobley in this draft.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes. So you agree that a team should risk going for a potential centerpiece and not base decisions on NBA-Ready. I'm not sure Green is the guy, but going for how good a guy is now at the expense of what he could be is a bad idea.

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think that the top should be NBA ready right away or danged close to it........if you are hoping for DEVELOPMENT - those players should be below 5 and around 10, IMHO.

Can't miss prospects at the top......contributors right away.

DD

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its a pitty they dont send sengun in the valley as well... he needs repetition if they think of making him into a shooter...not gonna learn by taking 2 jumpers a game....

19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they will find their place on this team when its their time to get traded...bwhahhahaha

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if there is a way i dont think silas would be able to find it...

peleincubus likes this.