1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garoppolo in the 2nd

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Real Shady, Mar 1, 2014.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

For those wanting to go Clowney then Garoppolo in the 2nd he may not be there.

If the Texans do like him another option I could see is trade down in the first and use one of your extra picks and our 2nd to move into the end of the first to draft him.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well if Garoppolo is picked, then someone else will drop, there's only going to be 3 or 4 QB's picked in the first round.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The only guy that I would take a serious look at in the second or third round is Murray from Georgia.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't know what I think anymore.

I'd be okay with Garoppolo in the second, I think.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You might be able to take a serious look at him in the 4th or 5th rounds as well, he was considered a 3rd round prospect before he got hurt. There are plenty of good QB prospects left by the first pick in the second round.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course what scares me is that there are probably going to be 3 or 4 QB's taken, if those teams are smart, they'll take Bortles, Bridgewater, Carr, and Garoppolo and the pressure to take JFF in the second will be intense for the Texans. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope there is some stupid team (perhaps the Raiders) that will take Manziel and let either Carr or Garoppolo fall.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Looking at the history of QB's taking after round 1 the odds are only one could become a NFL starting caliber QB. The rest most likely will be hot garbage.

8. tmacfor35

If he is there in the 4th or 5th, than I guess you can take JG and then Murray.

Murray has potential. Good arm strength and decision making. I have absolutely warmed up to the Clowney/Mack idea.

What is the upside about JG?

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Every QB class is different, odds based on the aggregate are not relevant or helpful. Overall, odds are that there is a franchise QB in every draft, tell that to the teams that picked QB's last year.

10. Two Sandwiches

If Manziel is there in the second round, you take him. You watch his video, and he's got a ton of potential. He also has a ton to work on (as do most of the qbs in the draft), but he could potentially be great. I don't think you can pass on that in the second round. Especially if you get a top defensive player in the first round.

I know that McNair is hands off, yada yada, but if Manziel is there in the second, and O'Brien feels at least somewhat comfortable with him, it wouldn't surprised me if McNair gave the decision on that pick.

If we came out of this draft, after the first three rounds, with Clowney, Manziel, and someone like Shane Skov, I would be ecstatic.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

JG has really good field vision and instincts, very good accuracy, he's smart, he has a strong arm, and a quick release. Like most of the QB's in this class, he's on the small side, and he'll need to be coached up on some of the finer points of being a QB such as footwork on 5 and 7 step drops

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I worry about. Manziel isn't an NFL QB prospect. There are at least 6 or 7 QB's in this class I'd take over Manziel just from a skill set point of view, throw in the media machine and attitude and I wouldn't draft him as Mr. Irrelevant. People can try to argue that he could be modeled after Russell Wilson, but he's not smart enough to take care of the ball, and I HIGHLY doubt he'd accept being relegated to a game manager role. I just don't see any way that he's still in the league in 6 years.

13. tmacfor35

Had only two fumbles and had the lowest INT chance rate per throw apparently. He takes care of the ball. He just isn't what you want from a pocket stand point.

14. Two Sandwiches

Totally disagree. I wouldbt take him top 5, but he's worth a late first to mid second round pick. For a team that needs a quarterback, I think you take him in the second if he's there.

Tebow was created off the hype machine. He was not a passer. Johnny can throw the ball. He tends to rely on his receivers a bit, and needs to learn to stay in the pocket more, and needs some work on his footwork as well, but he's got the arm, he's got the passion, and I'm pretty sure he's got the football mind, by all indications.

The only quarterback worth a top five pick is Bridgewater. After that, I think you have Manziel, Bortles and Carr and possibly Garoppolo who should go anywhere from late first to third.

15. Remii

Remii Member

If the Texans don't draft a quarterback in the 1st round... They may have their choice of Jimmy, Johnny, and or Teddy in the 2nd round. It's going to be some quarterbacks that drop like Geno and Barkley did last year.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Manziel isn't really a passer either. He was bad at making reads at the college level and that running around BS that he does will lead to big losses and probably injury. For him to be successful as an NFL QB, he'd have to completely purge himself of the entire way he plays football. He's not smart enough, he doesn't have the field vision, he's not a good enough passer, he's not refined at all as a QB, he's too small.....and that's not even taking his personality or media circus into the equation. I really feel sorry for whoever drafts him.

17. Two Sandwiches

I disagree with most of that, but there's no arguing it...

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Now you've just gone off the deep end.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Jesus dude let it go.