1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garner's moves defy baseball logic

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by arkoe, May 12, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not with that final score....ouch !

DD

2. Little_Scott

Little_Scott Member

Why is Brian Moehler still on this team? All the guy ever does in give up runs in mop-up duty. Borkowski never pitches anymore either. Any chance one of them gets demoted instead of Albers upon Jennings return? Probably not though, because it would stunt Albers' growth.

If I recall correctly, I remember Garner stating near the end of Spring Training how important the 'pen was gonna be this year and how Moehler may be even more important than the fifth starter (Sampson at the time, I believe).

This team just feels so poorly constructed this year with too many infielders, no decent fourth outfielder option and new lineups every night....Disarray....nevertheless, this is the way it always seems to go in the first half. Go 'Stros...

3. BigM

BigM Member

you're right moehler has no business being up here. even if his era was 0.00, his roster spot wouldn't be justified pitching every 6 games. borkowski isn't bad at the long relief job, and he's about all you need there.

put albers down for jennings and moehler down for bruntlett or burke.

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

no, just release moehler AND palmeiro.
    don't need 2 left handed bench players that can't field. lamb>palmeiro

5. rterry

rterry Member

Now what I hear on the talk shows is we can't blame Garner. Garner's trying everything. B.S. Garner may not be causing this horrible hitting, but he definately shares the blame. The righty/lefty shuffle has always drove me crazy. Yesterday, left-handed hitters were batting over .300 against Zito and righties under .200. So again, why remove Luke Scott who hit a couple balls hard the night before just right at somebody, for Jason Lane? It is insanity. Put Scott in the lineup and leave him there unless he gets below .200 too. Scott has a sweet swing, leave him in the lineup permanently and he will get comfortable and be an asset to this club.

Garner talks out both sides of his mouth. When questioned about why he keeps running Biggio out in the lead-off spot, he says that Biggio not the reason were losing. No, he is not "the reason", but he is "a reason". Using that logic why are you benching Ensberg and Scott on a regular basis. Are they "the reason".

I agree he has very little options, so the best thing to do is a pick a resonable line-up and leave it in place the majority of the time. Maybe with a little consistency the hitters will come around and quit pressing. Here is what I would do the majority of games:

Loretta 2b
    Ensberg 3b
    Berkman 1b
    Lee LF
    Scott RF
    Pense CF
    Bruntlett SS
    Ausmus C

I would move Loretta to SS on days you are playing Biggio, but leave him at the leadoff. Of course, if you have to platoon I would do it with Lamb/Ensberg.

I would send Albers and Moehler down to bring Bruntlett and Jennings up. I would bring Burke up and release Lane or if you can possibly play Burke at SS in the minors to just give it a try. If he can do it you bring him up and insert him at short. Everette can be a defensive replacement late in games with lead. there is no reason to carry 12 pitchers. Palmeiro is a joke too. Surely Burke is a better option for spot outfield duty and pinch-hitting. Quit playing hunches Garner. Pick a reasonable line-up and stick with it, instead of caving to the media, except where Biggio is concerned.

6. franchise?..NOT

I get the feeling, when watching Garner's moves, that he thinks he is still managing a young Detroit or Milwaukee team. He is giving these guys too much rope. Grown men? OK hold them accountable.

Drayton is probably not so different form Steinbrenner just more laid back. He expects his guys to produce or be held accountable. I guess as long ass attendance is up 3k/game this yeaer he may allow a longer noose. I sure hope not. We have the pitching and core bats to challenge. Just need to get an infield that can hit and we should be good to go.

The talk going around is how long you stay with guys and why. Well, Ensberg, Lane, Everett, Biggio and Ausmus are five outs in the lineup when they play. Biggio may get a bye but it's time to cut bait on the rest. These guys have been the main culprits in a terrible offense now for over two years. If Purpura is clinging to these guys and won't make the changes then he needs to go and better realize whatever credibility he may have is on the line and dwindling daily!

7. Howyalikemenow

He's simply making some seriously questionable lineups...

I mean when I turned on the TV to see who was going to start last night, I see Palmeiro again in right field?!? I turned the TV off right than and there. Seriously, WTF!

Of course, than I turn it back on just in time to see Palmeiro do a balet jump into the wall totally of course, when he tried to catch that fly ball against the wall that Pence backed him up on.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Garner... get a grip.

8. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

garner is a damn fool. he plays biggio yesterday against Webb who completely owns him 1/24 9Ks. and benches him against Livan Hernandez where hes 15/39.

9. mrdan

mrdan Member

I hear they are hiring an new general manager to bring back the club's defensive status.

[​IMG]

10. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

I love Biggio and all, but he's gotta realize that he is the cause of many of the Astros problems right now. He should walk into Garner's office and ask to become a part time player. Burke or Loretta should be getting the bulk of the minutes at 2B.

11. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

haha...classic.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

He really hurt us today. And he's the only one who's playing like crap. I mean, with Lance lighting everyone up and our dominant pitching, Biggio is clearly the sole reason we're losing games.

13. Buck Turgidson

Loretta, Ensberg, Lane, Burke, & Biggio all have higher slg% than Lance Berkman. If you have to b**** & blame someone, I'd start there.

14. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

yep, berkman is leader if he doesnt perform why should anyone else. of course the new guys (pence/lee/loretta) don't know this yet.

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

i'm telling ya...that's reason #1 we are where we are right now. i've been saying that since very early on. 6 extra base hits and counting...and it's May 28th.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Or in this case, not counting. :D