1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garner's moves defy baseball logic

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by arkoe, May 12, 2007.

1. dskillz

dskillz Member

I know. He flip-flops so much that I can't take anything he writes or says seriously. Before the season he wrote an article about "Why the Astros will succeed and the Rockets won't", fast forward a few weeks when the Astros are in a free fall and the Rockets are starting the playoffs, he does an article totally flip flopping.

I hate it that when he is on 610 that no one calls him his flip-flopping ways.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

when he revealed he was essentially persona non grata with the astros, i sincerely asked what, then, was his benefit to us as readers, and still believe it's a question the chronicle should ask.

the only positive i can muster for justice is that he doesn't grind axes in his columns, like, say, a mariotti or bourges - those guys are even more worthless - no access AND they have a very overt agenda.

small consolation for us, though...

3. swilkins

swilkins Member

I've never cared for anything RJ writes about.

I pretty much avoid his articles, because I just want to inflict pain on someone and that is not right.

4. Buck Turgidson

There is virtually no Astros knowledge to be had from reading the Chron. McTaggart's about it, and he rarely has anything not on astros.com.

Did you catch Garner's latest smackdown of The Jesus?

5. msn

msn Member

I didn't. Could you share?

6. Buck Turgidson

After the extra inning game against the Giants, JdJO asks a completely dumbass question: "Why did you pitch to Winn?" Remember that Winn's cheapo grounder hit the freaking bag, right? Garner replied in a not at all pleased tone "Because I wanted to lose the game in the 12th!" He followed that up with another stupid question that Garner shot down, and that was all the talking Jesus did.

So the cockweasel fires back on his blog:

"He reacted to the question as though no fan or media person could have wondered. Although he wasn't serious, the move cost him the game. Garner wasn't the entire reason they lost, but he shared blame in this one." JJO

Just total b.s. As ridiculous as Justice is, he's miles & miles better than this semi-literate clown.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

i bought JDO's book, ARMED & DANGEROUS about the 04/05 astros (back when, if an astros logo was slapped on it, i bought it - anyone need astro sharpies?). it's horribly edited (if it ever actually was), which can't entirely be placed at JDO' feet, but some of the sentence structures and grammar - i mean, there are entire passages that make no sense to me as a reader; it lacks even a rudimentary understanding of how to properly construct a story. how did he get a job, you know, as a writer?

i find feigen equally as bad. he was never taught what a lead is, writes as if we're all nesting in his brain and understand what he's talking about (not all of us, jonathan, follow the NBA, even from a distance) and prefers awkward sentence structure to a straight-forward writing style that gets to the point. he also belabors his point.

justice is, actually, a very skilled writer; i'll give him that. JDO and feigen fail even at that seemingly obvious preresquite.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

Burke is sucking in AAA

9. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Member

I have this book, too. It is so horribly constructed and written that I could barely finish it. One second he's talking about the offseason, then he's talking about the NLCS, then he's talking about the Tombstone, then he's talking about the offseason again. No coherent order or structure. It makes your head spin.

And the quality of the writing itself is sophmoric.

10. MadMax

MadMax Member

is he really? :( i'm sorry to hear that. not just for the 'stros, but for him. seems like a great guy.

11. Buck Turgidson

Yep, this is exactly why I used "semi-literate". I could only make it through about 50 pages; I wanted to like it, but it was just too painful to read. I have no idea how someone who makes a living with the written word can be so unbelievably incompetent.

12. Buck Turgidson

In all of 23 ABs.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Right!

Hunter Pence had 4 hits in his first 23 at bats for Round Rock this year. Burke is upstaging him!

14. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Member

Just realized the irony of that post ... :)

It's "sophOmoric."

15. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

how about tonight's lineup. ALL right handed hitters
    zito against lefties - .309
    zito against righties - .218

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Unbelievable.......Lane over Scott....come on !!

DD

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

And to show it's not a fluke:
    Career Numbers
    Lefties - .253
    Righties - .227

18. Uprising

Uprising Member

Great performance by the stros tonight. Well, looks like another losing streak.

Love how we suck, then start playing well and move up in the standings....and now back down we go.

Ladies in Gentlemen. This is you Hustn Astrs! (there is no O...)

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Astrs and Rckets: Who needs offence?

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

Wouldn't have made an ounce of a difference.