1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Garner's comments

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Apr 15, 2005.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Whoops, I forgot game 6 was for game 7....(of course, we all assumed Scott would win :) )

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

bobreak. yeah they were one game away, but last year was more impressive since they actually had to win a series. Technically in the past they could have made the playoffs, and not won a single game. . and still woudl have been closer to the world series than any recent teams..

In other words, every year that they made the playoffs in the old system, they were automatically closer than we had ever been recently.. before last year.

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

One of our problems has been developing good young power hitters.

Other than Berkman, who has come through our system in the last 5 years?

Scott and Lane are probably good platoon players but nothing more.

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I was born in 83 though so, for me last year was way further than we've ever been :)

5. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Now that I think about it, you could argue that last year was less impressive since in the old system we wouldn't have even made the playoffs

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

To be optimistic, I think if at some point this season we add one more bat.. I'd feel a lot better about this team..

I never expected to keep Beltran anyways, but if we go out and somehow replace Kents bat.. I think we'd be okay this year.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

it was plan B unfortunately

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

nj.. I'd hate to see plan C :)

Another reason I'm less optimistic about this year is. at least in the past we knew Gerry knew how to make midseason trades..

Purpura might be able to too, but we just don't know yet how good he is at deadline deals. He could end up being great, we just don't know yet.. so it's hard to judge how likely a midseason deal is for us.

9. bobrek

...and 8 games into the season, it looks like a better plan than an outfield of Dye in left, Finley in center and Drew in right, which I assume you would have been satisfied with if it were the Astros "plan B".

10. NJRocket

Ive actually posted something similar in the past month or so....I think we will miss Hun a heckuva a lot more than people think. If guys want to say that Purpura is the talent guru and is good at finding kids in the minors etc who can play...then fine...i wouldnt know if he was or wasnt good at that.

I DO know that Hun was a master at pulling off trades...good ones at that....and I guess it remains to be seen whether or not Purpura can do the same.

11. bobrek

To me, the biggest loss was the loss of Hunsicker. The only "mistake" I think he ever really made was leaving Abreu unprotected in the exapnsion draft and using the excuse that it was between he and Hidalgo. It would be a reasonable mistake to make by choosing Hidalgo over Areu, but i never understood why they couldn't have left both of them protected and exposed someone else? Oh well....

12. NJRocket

Drew or Finley in the OF over Scott or Burke would have bettered our lineup...period.

And enough with the "8 games into the season " crap.....those of us who were furious about doing nothing in the offseason and plan B being rookies, have said all along that we would have been better off having an actual plan B...and not just a default.

13. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Absolutely true. Hunsicker was fantastic.

Other than protecting Johan Santana and Richard Hildago's contract, he was pretty much right on almost every move.

14. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Everett will not hit 0.200 if he stays in the leadoff spot. That much I can bet on. Garner is now setting him to fail.

I would have prefered AJ Piertzinski to Brad Outmost ...errr Bad Ausmus...errrr...our catcher. Though AJ is not be all, he at least looks like he can play.

15. bobrek

But you are basing your opinion on assuming that 2005 performance will be relatively close to past performance - correct? That being the case, wouldn't you agree that 8 games into the season is too early to make a determination as to what the proper course of action should have been? Isn't it possible, that whichever outfielder remains predominantly in the starting lineup once Berkman returns (Scott or Taveras) will have a better season than Drew or Finley?

16. bobrek

There are reasons that Pierzenski gets traded (granted Joe Mauer was one of them). He is not a good teammate. While you may prefer A.J. (easier to spell), to Ausmus, I doubt any of the pitchers would.

17. NJRocket

yes

yes and no.....8 games is certainly not the benchmark to judge the next 154...however, the performance thus far (even in 1 or 2 of the wins) is exactly what I expected when we did nothing this offseason

possible..yes

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While I was too excited about this offseason, the young guys have been playing well. I've been pleasently surprised. Heck, Taveras bats between Mr No. O and the pitcher still has a early BA of .370. Lane and Scott are batting over 300 as well. Berkman coming back won't give us the boost we need as he will be replacing one of the .300+ guys though he does have more power.

A couple of things hurting us so far.

1) Middle relievers - not good enough to bridge the gap between our starters and Lidge.
    2) Brad Ausmus.
    3) The batting order - please Phil, it's time to adjust to get the most out of this line-up. I'd try:
    Taveras
    Biggio
    Scott
    Bagwell
    Lane
    Ensberg
    Everett
    Chávez
    pitcher

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Giants spent big for an Aumus-clone in Mike Matheny to replace AJ... that alone should say what teams think of that guy.

20. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I know and I have heard above his abrasive side but we badly needed help knowing Berk's situation and the Beltran no show.

Heck we signed Carl Everret knowing his baggages. What about Mitch Mulosky [sp?]? - didn't we put up with his antics? He would not have been traded if he was able to stay healthy despite his numerous personality negatives. All we needed was a stop gap - we could then trade A.J. if he was too much of a negative effect in the locker room by midseason. With Vets like Roger, Bidge, Baggs, etc I would bet that A.J. would have respected them and behaved himself.