1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garner's comments

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Apr 15, 2005.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Minutes after the Mets completed a three-game sweep, Astros manager Phil Garner grabbed the scouting report he had on the Mets, ripped it and tossed it in the trash can.

"You don't need this," Garner said, "because you can't defense dribblers."

He is right....you can't defense them....but unfortunately, that dribbler last night...and the bloops in the previous games, were/are not the reason we lost. We lost because we have ZERO offense....ZERO. Perhaps Garner realizes this and he is just as frustrated as we (the fans) are....but can't do a damn thing about it. You "homers" still excited about seeing the young guys play? Still think pitching will get us to the playoffs? Good pitching will win playoff series.... but we probably won't get a chance to see that.:mad:

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

This team isn't as bad as they were in the Mets series, and not as good as they were the first two series. This is a middle-of-the-pack team with 4 good starters, a great closer, and an offense that is very poor without Berkman and very well could be below average with him. I don't know that the offense is strong enough this year to carry defense-only players like Everett and Ausmus. I don't know who we'd replace them with though, at this point. We'll see how it goes I guess.

3. NJRocket

which brings us back to the offseason when Renteria, Cabrera, and Eckstein were all available

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

NJ, you're not helping your cause. Where were you last week after the Reds sweep? Are you seriously coming on here in early April after one series and after an even 4-4 start after 8 games to call people out?? Ridiculous.

5. SamCassell

Renteria would have been a nice signing. Varitek was a FA, too. Both got big money though, I don't think we would have been willing to pony up that kinda cash.

The thing is, the knock on Everett in the minors was that he was an incredible fielder who couldn't hit. It's not like he's regressed, he's the same guy he's always been. I really like his fielding, but I have no illusions that he'll suddenly become, at age 28, a good hitter.

6. NJRocket

i was right here complaining how bad of a hitter Everett is....and i have been preaching that we should have gone after other guys for months to improve our lineup...dont make it like i just came here out of the woodwork and i am all of a sudden

we have the LOWEST amount of runs scored in the league

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We do have an awful offense right now... yet we are 4-4, and probably should have been better if not for some of the awful/lucky plays that all went the Mets way.

95% of that is due to the stellar pitching we've had so far.

If anything, this start merely proves again how much more important pitching is than hitting. We've had the lead in every ballgame except the first one, and while the entire offense hasn't come around yet, I've seen enough from Lane and Tavares to have me content that they can be productive, especially once Berkman comes back.

If they continue to hit like this for the whole season, however, then yes... they won't be going anywhere. But, just like everybody was too early to jump on the bandwagon last week after the sweep, its still too early to jump off after this series... where we should have won all three of these games.

I'm reserving judgement on the offense till both Berkman comes back, and the weather gets better ... plus, this team is just perpetuating what they've done the last 6 years... whether they're hot or cold, they're either ALL hot or ALL cold.

8. NJRocket

or worse had we not gotten a 2 run infield hit by our pitcher

berkman....yes......the weather??????:confused: you gotta be kidding

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The only problem with Everett is that he is batting leadoff in our lineup. Move him to the bottom of the order and give him some time. He batted .270 last year and he has steadily improved with the bat ever year he's been in the majors.

10. MadMax

and you made comments all offseason that we'd suck. you use one series in early April to plant your flag and declare victory on that.

imagine how much you would have basted me if i had done the same for my opinion of this team immediately after the Reds series. it would be ridiculous to do that.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

See... good pitching helps! :D

And yes... the weather. Our guys aren't going to hit longballs in cold 50 degree weather... actually, nobody is (the Mets didn't have any either).

There were 6 shots to left in the last two games by Biggio, Ensberg, Lane and even Tavares that would have been easy HR's in MMP.

The bottom line is that this team seems like they haven't played well at all... and yet they are 4-4. No team stays down offensively forever... not even the Royals or the Pirates. However, pitching will be the difference maker. If they ever lose that, they'll be in much more trouble.

Also, I expect this team to be a much better home team... no reasoning, just a hunch I had going into the Mets series.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

You can't base the potential of a post season on 1 the 3rd freakin' series of the season...:rolleyes:

Seriously, we weren't dominant, but we didn't stink up the joint either...Do we have great starting pitching, sure, but without the bats, we're stuck like chuck...anyway, I think its still a good idea to have our current team play and hopefully Berkman will provide us with the offensive HR power we desperately need...

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Everett isn't a leadoff hitter, he should be hitting either 2nd (where he can move runners over) or 8th.

Ausmus shouldn't be hitting at all, which he isn't, but since DH'ing isn't an option 7th or 8th in the lineup.

For better or for worse, Taveras should start leading off.

Biggio should either stay in the two hole or move back to three and let Bagwell hit cleanup until Berkman returns.

I'd rather start the season with a solid starting rotation, closer and a weak offensense then start off with no pitching and a great offensive club. It is a lot easier for the bats to show up later then try and find pitching.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

BTW... NJ... the "kids" are not exactly the problem in the lineup right now.

Scott went 3-4 yesterday, and probably should have gotten more than the 1 RBI had Baggy not slowed up at 3rd in the 1st inning. Taveras, while his average wasn't too hot, was all over the basepaths yesterday... making a huge difference w/out the benefit of a hit.

Everett and Ausmus have been horrible... I still think Everett can get back to where he was before he got hurt (not at leadoff, however)... but Ausmus may be close to being 'done'. The fact that he's tried a new stance/swing almost every year, and he seems to be getting worse, probably lends to the fact that he has absolutely NO confidence right now, whatsoever.

As I said before the season, the difference-makers in this offense were going to be the production of Ensberg and Lane. Each has the capability to have a monster season with the bat... but, since they've never done that before, it will always be suspect until they actually acheive something.

15. SamCassell

I actually agree with Nick on a baseball post. :) Everett and Ausmus are the problem so far. Tavares has been outstanding, I really like what I've seen from the kid. Luke Scott is still a question mark, especially since we need some power from LF. He had a good day yesterday. Ensberg and Lane are "potential" guys who are too old to be prospects and are thus facing make-or-break years, at 28+ you've got to produce or get off the field. So far so good.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I would have to be considered one of NJRocket's "homers." We are not doomed. I do think it is already time for some tinkering. Everett is not a leadoff hitter. Ensberg is not a cleanup hitter. I would like to see Taveras get a shot at leadoff. Biggio is doing too well at #2 to move him. Move Lane to #4, Scott to 5 and Ensberg 6th. When Burke starts in LF, move Ensberg back up to 5 and Burke 6th. Everett should be 7th or 8th. Ausmus, well, Ausmus is Ausmus. Unfortunately, we don't have many better options. Maybe Quintero is slightly a better hitter than Ausmus and Chavez. Who knows? Either way, the catcher should be 8th.

We've played 4.9% of the games so far. There is a lot that can and will happen between now and the time to make actual judgements.

BTW...I was a little disappointed to hear that it will be Duckworth and not Astacio starting on Sunday. That is by no means permanent, but I would have like to see Astacio or even Wandy Rodriguez given a shot. Depending on what happens on Sunday, that might be possible next week.

17. msn

msn Member

b****ing when they lose, silent when they win, calling people "homers" who choose to be optimistic, frantic emoticons...

Standard MO for whiners. Nothing to see here.

18. NJRocket

I wasn't silent when we won...but if it makes you feel better to say so, then by all means...:rolleyes:

19. MadMax

were you using that Reds series to say, "hey..looks like i was wrong...we can win in spite of our weaknesses??" i don't recall reading that. why is the Mets series more significant than the Reds series? what about it allows you to extrapolate out to support your contentions for this team for the entire season more so than the Reds series does?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, you intend to give up on Everett after the 2004 season (with his .273 average)? His average was just as good the past 2 years as Eckstein and I would venture to say Everett is a better fielder. Eckstein makes 7x what Everett does.

Cabrera signed for 6 (~ 13x Everett) million and Renteria signed for 8 million (~19x Everett). Why would either of these two guys even consider signing with a team that has a young starting SS who has done well in the field and has been an adequate hitter?

Also, in addition to those 3 shortstops, you also mentioned that Drew, Finely and Dye would be nice additions. 8 or so games into the season we have the following:

Drew - 9.4 million, .125 average
    Finley - 6 million, .176 average
    Dye - 4 million, .194 average

I suspect those 3 will hit better as the season progresses, just as I expect Everett to settle in at .260 - .270.