1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Garbage Disposal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yuantian, Aug 3, 2010.

1. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

how much does a sink garbage disposal plus installation cost? i had some broken glasses in the sink yesterday. took out as much as i could. some small pieces might have fallen inside. now it turns on but does not spin or something. any ideas if i can fix it myself? thanks.

2. tested911

tested911 Member

get a flat head screwdriver (small wooden handle is preferred) and see if you can turn it manually.. Also on some Garbage disposal there is a Allen wrench socket underneath it which will turn it manually to loosen any stuck blades..

I've changed 1/2 dozen Garbage disposals and they were all easy to replace.. Does get messy if it's been clogged awhile and water is still inside.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

I think they come with a reset button.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1 person likes this.
  5. yuantian

thanks guys. i will give it a try when i get home today.
    i already tried to reset after it wasn't making any sound anymore.
    the reset will turn it on again, but something must have got stuck there.

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

If you do have to replace it and you do it yourself, make sure you REMOVE THE PLUG from the hole meant for the dishwasher drain line. /me remembers stupid mistake....

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

My father in law made that mistake installing ours.

8. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Unplug it, use the allen wrench to see if you can get the blades to turn, check inside really well to make sure you got everything, then plug it back in and reset. I've drunkenly ground up a fair share of shot glasses in the past and that usually fixes it, if all else fails, remove it and clean it out well then plug it in and test it before buying a new one. You might be able to just take it off get everything out and reinstall the same one.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I recently used an allen wrench on my stuck disposal and it wouldn't budge. Then I read about using a broom stick and trying to turn it from the top through the drain and it loosened it up.

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

If the allen wrench doesn't work, you can buy a new one for $80. Obviously more powerful ones 3/4hp and 1hp ones cost more. It's pretty easy to install. Takes maybe about 1 to 1.5 hours. Make sure you have a low bucket on hand to catch the water. Only tools usually required is a screwdriver and pliers or something. Buy some plumber's putty and pipe sealant.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

along the same lines, I've used a big pipe wrench handle to loosen it...in my current place it got clogged/stuck and did the same thing to move it...

12. yuantian

i will try with my chopsticks first. :)

13. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Be careful you don't end up like the dude who stuck his hand in the paper shredder.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

yuantian,

Remember that you've got to dismantle the latch hasp from the auxiliary drainage line.

What do you got, a Clarkman?

15. yuantian

man, i tried to loosen it with a broom stick. it sort of moves a little bit if i turn it really hard. but it won't become completely free. i think the glass shards are too strong. i am worried if i use too much force, i may break it. going to spend some time this weekend to see if i can open it up and remove the shards or something.