1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gangs of New York - *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Timing, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Timing

Timing Member

Anyone seen this movie yet? I've held off a little on the holiday films to avoid the noisy teens but I saw this yesterday and it was terrific. Scorsese is a freaking genius. Daniel Day-Lewis was spectacular! I really didn't expect it to be that great, the previews looked like Westside Story with a bunch of knife wielding kids dancing around the town square but it was pretty damn good. I really like the way Scorsese just set the tone for the movie with the first few scenes and the brutal killings. He really has a way of getting a certain intensity and rawness into his films. And at the end with the riots with people just going on a blood thirsty rampage. Great stuff! I also thought the Native American thing was pretty funny and ironic. I really liked the film and it's amazing how we look at important points in history like the Civil War without really understanding everything that was going on in the country at the time.

Question for anyone though, is there any significance behind the dead squirrel thing? Does that have any meaning in Irish history or anything? Just curious.

Also saw Catch Me If You Can recently and was kind of disappointed. If might have been a disaster if not for Tom Hanks.

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my take from a previous thread

Oh, I think Gangs of New YOrk was a big piece of crap and isnt worth starting a new thread on.
    my basic feeling was "Gee, Marty, this is what we have been waiting three years for?"

about half way through I realized that I had nothing invested in the characters or story. they were just people dressed in 1860's gear doing bad monologues in Irish accents with folk music going in the background.

the movie is classic Scorcese, interesting editing, great fight scenes, detail to historical accuracy regarding the history of The Five Points section of New YOrk City.

SPOLIERS:

boy(Leo DiCaprio) witnesses fathers(Liam Neeson) murder in a great gang war to open the movie.

boy is sent to an orphanage and returns to The Five Points 16 years later.

boy joins a Gang of New YOrk.

boy becomes right hand man to his fathers killer(D. Day Lewis)

boy vows to kill his fathers killer, but first.......

all the rival gang factions revolt against Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall to protest the Draft, and then....

in the mist and fog of the Draft Riots of 1863 , boy kills fathers killer, buries him next to his father out of respect.

skyline of East RIver morphs into modern day skyline of Manhattan.

final shot: The Twin Towers standing tall above the Brooklyn Bridge- my favorite part of the movie.

a bit formulaic if you ask me. like I said, with all that re-tooling Scorcese did, I was expecting a masterpiece.
    put it this way, it aint no Lord of the Rings.

3. Timing

Timing Member

So, you're saying you didn't like it or something? ;)

Well perhaps it depends on expectation. I certainly wasn't expecting a masterpiece and was actually expecting it to be terrible so I was pleasantly surprised. I don't really care for DiCaprio films usually but Daniel Day-Lewis was so terrific that it didn't really matter to me that DiCaprio was in it.

4. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Two different views... I really want to see this movie and Catch Me if You Can.

To see who I agree with, let me ask you guys this ,what did you think of -

Moulin Rouge

Fight Club

Black Hawk Down

Signs

Harry Potter

Thanks!

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I originally thought Gangs was going to be terrible from the trailers. I saw an HBO special and the Today show interview with Leo and Scorsese. Now I am actually thinking it might be ok, my expectations are definitely lower than normal though. I didn't like Scorsese's last film with Nic Cage/Tom Sizemore, Bringing Out the Dead.

6. across110thstreet

funny because i was pleasantly surprised by "Catch Me If You Can." I preferred Leo in Spielberg's pic more than Scorcese's.

D. Day Lewis was brilliant, he reminded me of DeNiro in that way. Maybe Martin Scorcese told him to channel all of DeNiro's previous gangster roles ;)

7. Timing

Timing Member

I really thought it'd be terrible too from the trailers and I didn't like Bringing Out the Dead much either but I really think it's quality.

On those films, I refuse to see Moulin Rouge (lol) but I liked the rest on that list though Harry Potter is a little too much of a kids flick for me.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It looked like THE GODFATHER - the irish version to me at 1st
    but now i may give it a looking over

Rocket River

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

It was disappointing. I couldn't wait for it to end. "Catch me if you can" was awesome though.

Also, Daniel Day Lewis was awesome in "Gangs."

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I thought Gangs was good but not great like Goodfellas. Nice history lesson on a part of history that no one likes to talk about. The movie is well worth seeing just for the performance by Daniel Day Lewis. Incredible! The begining scene was done extremely well from the ritualistic buildup to the bloody battle at the Five Points.

Question for anyone though, is there any significance behind the dead squirrel thing? Does that have any meaning in Irish history or anything? Just curious.

I assume you mean Dead Rabbits right? I was watching the History Channel's documentary on Gangs of New York and they said that the Dead Rabbits name came from a misinterpretation by the other gangs. Their real name was something like Deerabi which is Irish slang. The other gangs thought that they where saying Dead Rabbits and that name just stuck.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I loved it. The beginning scene and finale made up for any thing lacking in the middle.

I was somewhat disappointed by Catch Me If You Can. It wasn't as fun as the trailers made it out to be. However, it's definitely one I think I'll enjoy much more upon a second viewing. I died at Carl's joke though.

Chicago rocks.

12. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

the movie was a huge letdown. terrible. cameron diaz had NO business in the movie. her role had no bearing on the plot. the movie sucked once it transitioned from the daniel-day lewis/dicaprio feud, to focusing on the draft riots. lame.

daniel-day lewis was awesome though, which brings me to this question:

should an awesome performance like that, but in a crappy movie, be worthy of receiving an Oscar? i mean, priest holmes isn't going to win MVP because he played for a crappy team. seems similar to me. what do you guys think?

13. across110thstreet

funny because i was pleasantly surprised by "Catch Me If You Can." I preferred Leo in Spielberg's pic more than Scorcese's.

D. Day Lewis was brilliant, he reminded me of DeNiro in that way. Maybe Martin Scorcese told him to channel all of DeNiro's previous gangster roles ;)

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, we got that 3 hours ago. ;)

15. across110thstreet

:mad: stupid double post

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think it might be the first one ever with that much time elapsed. :D

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I didn't want to see it but got dragged to it. Ended up really liking it.

And Lewis was excellent. The whole thing had an appropriate atmosphere...you could feel the depression of the time. Really well done.

Now to see Catch Me If You Can....

18. Nomar

Nomar Member

Worst movie ever.

I've seen other movies with slow pacing, but at least they had climaxes and moments of triumph. (See Chariots of Fire)

What just happened? That's what I asked myself after it was over.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Nail on head, for me though I did enjoy the historical aspect of Gangs.

20. Timing

Timing Member

Yeah I meant rabbits, thanks. For some reason I was thinking of Roxran as soon as I began typing the question. :)