1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[gamespot]GameStop launching Elite with 360 trade-in promo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Apr 17, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

come on Cola, you are slow today

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169221.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0
    GameStop launching Elite with 360 trade-in promo
    Ubiquitous game retailer will increase trade-in value for old Xbox 360s when the new deluxe version of the console goes on sale April 29.

In two weeks, Microsoft will release the Xbox 360 Elite, the deluxe version of its latest console. Though equipped with a 120GB hard drive and a sleek black finish, the Elite's lack of game-data transfer options from current 360s and $479 price sparked controversy from when it was announced. Console-war partisans were quick to point out that the Elite is just $20 cheaper than the 20GB PlayStation 3 was--until that model discontinued, anyway.

Now, though, it appears that current Xbox 360 owners will have an alternative to hocking their old consoles on eBay. GameStop reps confirmed today that the nationwide game retailer and its EB Games subsidiary will be holding a promotion that will increase the trade-in value of Xbox 360s. The promotion will begin when the Elite goes on sale on April 29, and will continue "while supplies last."

However, it's still unclear how much GameStop will be increasing the trade-in value of Xboxes for Elite purchases. Several managers contacted by GameSpot confirmed a promotion would be unveiled next week, but said that they didn't know its exact terms. "It hasn't been announced yet," said one friendly but uninformed rep.

However, several online game-press outlets, most notably Xbox360fanboy.com, claim to have confirmed that GameStop will offer $250 in in-store credit for a Premium 360 with wireless controller and hard drive, $200 in-store credit for a Core 360, and $50 for an original Xbox. Currently, the retailer offers $215 in credit for a fully equipped Premium 360, $190 for a Core 360, and $30 for an original Xbox.

There is also some confusion as to whether or not the value of Xbox and 360 trade-ins must be applied to the purchase of an Elite. Though some online sites reported that said credit could be used to buy anything in the store, every GameStop that GameSpot contacted said that the 360 trade-in credit was increased only when used to purchase the new console.

Inquiries sent to GameStop corporate representatives regarding the 360 trade-in promotion had not been answered as of press time.
    By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Nice but unfortunately my premium died last week, so much for PREMIUM!!

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm not slow today. I just didn't think this was worthy of a thread, although the fact that at least two people are interested in it proves me wrong I guess.

4. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Yours did too huh? I wonder what our chances are that we could take it back and try to get the elite system. :cool: :D

5. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That's crazy. Mine died last week too.

6. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Guess Microsoft planned this all along, wait a year and half or so and everyones Xbox360 will screw up. Then we release a "not-so" elite version, in which the only cool thing about it is the change of color. Then make everyone who's 360s died, buy the "not-so" elite version.

Curse you Microsoft......curse youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

7. intermill

intermill Contributing Member

http://games.gearlive.com/playfeed/...e-trade-in-hasnt-thought-it-through-04172105/

Gamestop, always looking to keep their inventory of used systems and games well-stocked, will be taking the Xbox 360 Core, Xbox 360 Platinum, and original Xbox as trade-in credit towards purchase of a new Xbox 360 Elite (or other purchase). Thus sayeth Kotaku.com and other games websites in the area.

According to Kotaku, you’ll also be able to get a better trade-in deal on your used console… the Xbox 360 Platinum will get you $250 (normally $190), Core packs get you $200 (normally $140), and the lowly original black Xbox will get you $50. That all sounds like a pretty good trade-in deal for a new 360 ‘l33t, but we’ve gotta wonder how exactly Gamestop is hoping to help the droves of Premium owners that want to transfer their data from the 20GB drive to the Elite’s 120GB drive… will you have to sit there and wait for them to do it in-store? Or will they let you keep your 20GB drive for a deposit? Or will they somehow use the magic of the internets’ pipes to get your 20GB worth of Elder Scrolls saves and Xbox Marketplace purchases to you? What’s the deal here? So far, we’re waiting for details on how exactly this operation is going to work. My money is on “not smoothly”.

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

So I'm still going to have to spend 250 for an Elite. Do you think it's worth it?

9. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

i'd rather keep my 360 and spend that money on a Wii--i want one.