1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gamescom 2013 (More PS4/XBO, oh and other stuff)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Aug 18, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

2. RC Cola

Looks like PS4 event is just 2 hours of Shu playing PS4.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

oh god. The youtube comments page, full of fanboys throwing turds at each other. Reminds me of the 360 vs ps3 days where I participated in the pile on. Now it just looks sad.

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

November 15 launch for PS4!

5. RC Cola

The crazy buttocks was wrong. :|

Sony went a little crazy with the games.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I didn't realize GT6 was coming out soon.

7. RC Cola

I'm pretty busy right now, but there's some new screens for Witcher 3, and I think some gameplay for various XBO/PS4 games out there. Here's one place I like for video/screens from events like this:
    http://www.gamersyde.com/index_en.html

I'll post some specific games I liked maybe later in the week. I really loved some of the games (mostly indie games) Sony showed yesterday. Really interested in Rime:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rku4n1uXOrM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think there are some UI demos for XBO and PS4. Not 100% about XBO (only saw that referenced somewhere), though of course there was the PS4 demo to start off the conference yesterday. Love how quick they are (could go from watching a live stream to joining the game in the live stream in less than 10 seconds...unless it was all smoke and mirrors :().

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Titanfall looks great. Saw a little bit of it with what they showed at E3, just saw the gameplay demo though which looks awesome. I may pick that up.

9. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

RC - which system are you planning to get and why? If you've already responded/posted this, can you point me to your post.

Thanks,
    Lazy Mr Boo

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's a Sony guy at heart. All the best people are.

11. RC Cola

I think I may have posted something along these lines in the E3 thread, but much has changed since then (sort of).

I bought into PS4 hype during E3 and preordered a launch system. Will likely keep it since I've been happy with what Sony has continued to show with the PS4. Love the indie games, and while I was going to play some of them on PC (and might still), getting them for free with PS+ might push me to play them on PS4 instead (assuming good ports and all that). I like the exclusives over XBO in general (really excited for inFamous, as is my nephew), so I'll generally lean that way. I have a Vita too, so if Remote Play actually is good, that could get a lot of use. I prefer their TV plans (if they actually do it) over what MS has planned...though much like Gaikai, I'm not holding my breath on the "dream" being a reality anytime soon.

I was totally against the XBO at E3 for the obvious reasons. Since then, it has become a MUCH more attractive option. No point in me getting 2 almost redundant systems right away (and PS4 would be cheaper yet more powerful), but I'll probably consider it after a price cut and some of the games I like come out (right now, Quantum Break probably has interested me the most). A $399 (or less) SKU in 2014 without Kinect would be nice. If they could ditch the paywall to use things like Netflix, etc., and/or mimic more of what Sony is doing with PS+ (they kind of are), then I might jump on sooner (just to get more free games, if nothing else).

Wii U...well...X looks pretty cool...so maybe sometime in the future when I feel like it. Depending on what support Atlus gives after their sale (beyond SMT x Fire Emblem), I could support them more. I've not been very happy with the offerings from Japanese developers for PS4 and XBO to be honest (not sure if Wii U is much better, but Nintendo can put out some decent stuff).

Not at all relevant, but Shu has been working overtime it seems:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tUY6qXiLFXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I really hope XBOX never sells the system as a stand alone...the kinect needs to be with every system if they actually want developers to try to put it to use. There was a video posted in the xbox thread that demonstrated just how easy it is to incorporate the kinect into routine game play.

14. Mr Boo

Thanks for the feedback RC. I'll be honest, I don't really know all the differences between the PS4 and the XB1. I will say this though...I'm leaning towards getting both (eventually). As I'm getting older, it seems like I'm getting to the point where I want to enjoy things and not worry too much about costs (the costs extrapolated over time shouldn't have any notable impact). All I care about nowadays are the console only titles, and I have to say that Titan Fall has me interested, especially if it's a COD killer.

15. Mr Boo

Oh man, that reminds me of ICO & SotC ... where's Last Guardian? Damnit....

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Not really related to this event, but since this is the latest games thread...

...RC, have you played Dragon's Crown? If so, what do you think of it?

I would suggest anyone interested in side-scrolling beat 'em ups is really missing out if they don't get Dragon's Crown. IMO it is up there with the best the genre has had to offer since the genre was at its height in the NES/SNES/Genesis days 20 years ago.

It's not quite as perfect as I believe Streets of Rage 2 to be, but it's really, really good nonetheless.

17. Mr Boo

Good to know ... I heard the reviews overall were high, albeit there were some issues with the aesthetics. Quick question: how deep is the game? I'm hoping the RPG elements (character leveling up) is deep.

18. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

I was disappointed with Sony's E3 since they just showed one new PS4 exclusive title (The Order) , but I was even more disappointed with the Gamescom event since it was hyped up to have some new exclusive AAA games shown, not the indie crap they did show.

Indie games are nice, but don't make it a selling point on a console when i can play those indies on an ouya or a PC.

I'm buying a PS4 but man the xbox one exclusives are way better. Titanfall (yes i know it will likely come to ps4 after the 1 year timed exclusive deal is up) :(

I want to play that game very badly, but I can't since i don't want to spend $500 on an xbone just to play one game, and my pc is not capable of running it.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Oh man, that's one of the best parts about it.

Every character has a skill tree, and there are also "common skills" (such as evade up or more inventory slots) that all characters have. As skills get higher level they cost more skill points. Maxing out a skill is generally a big jump, and can make abilities game-changingly good. There is pretty good variety and balance among the characters. The Wizard, Elf, and Amazon are the high-damaging boss-killers, the Sorceress and Fighter are great support characters, and the Dwarf is the only guy in the game who can throw (which is a very powerful ability).

Equipment-wise, every character has a type of weapon, and 4 types of accessories/armor they can wear. When you open chests on quests, they will be given a letter grade for how good the item is (S, A, B, C, D, or E), and at the end of the quest you identify them and use them. Higher-grade items generally have better and more effects. Also, when you get farther into the game, you gain the ability to do continuous dungeon runs, where you're awarded random bonuses to stuff like equipment rank, gold, exp for each successive dungeon you do. So play enough in a row and you can get a ton of great items fast. But you never feel the items are wasted, because each character can have 9 sets of equipment handy at a time. Pieces of your equipment will start breaking after 3 dungeons or so and can't be repaired until you return to town, so you really need many sets of good equipment to be able to do long, epic dungeon runs.

The gameplay itself is very much like the Dungeons and Dragons arcade games, but on steroids. And of course, it's Vanillaware, so it's gorgeous-looking (even despite the slightly annoying fact that the characters are hyper-sexualized to the point of caricature, which has gotten a lot of press).

So yeah... basically my only 3 nitpicky criticisms of it are: the art is too sexualized (you get over that though), the screen often gets so busy you lose track of your character, and local co-op is sort of poorly implemented (they clearly were keeping online multiplayer more in mind than local). None of those are deal-breakers for me, and other than those things it's hard to praise it enough.