1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Games] Valkyria Chronicles is the best game I've played in years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

...so I'm vaguely surprised there hasn't been a thread about it.

Haven't finished it. In fact, I think I'm less than halfway through. I didn't really start playing it until I was kinda spent on Fallout 3 (which I'm sure I'll go back to eventually), and man... within a few hours, I knew this was the best game I'd played on this generation of consoles.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE Drake's Fortune, I LOVE Gears of War 2, I LOVE Burnout Paradise, and I'm positive I'll love Mass Effect when I play it. I love Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. I love Fallout 3. The list goes on. But Valkyria Chronicles beats them all. Not a doubt in my mind.

For one, this game is beyond pretty. I mean, I was just stunned when i first saw this game in action. To me, it has to be somewhere up there with Shadow of the Colossus and Okami as one of the top 3 prettiest games ever made. There are two voice tracks, and an excellent, unassuming score. There is an unquantifiable charm to everything this game does visually and aurally.

Every single character is likable. The story has a fantastic balance of political baseline combined with human elements. You can just sense that they wrote a ton of backstory that you'll never see, just to add that depth to the world, rather than making things up as they went along. The storybook format is perfect, and it's something other games might do well to copy when appropriate.

Leveling up is simple, yet it makes sense. You could spend hours getting the most out of your squads by configuring them so friends and complementary abilities go together... or, if you're more casual, you can get away with just throwing people out there. The gameplay itself combines the simplest, best parts of strategy games and traditional JRPGs.

I can't say enough about this game. If you have a PS3, it would be criminal not to buy this. Seriously. Even if you're not a strategy RPG fan, this game will change that.

As far as I'm concerned, you have to go back to Okami on the PS2 to find the last game as completely great as Valkyria Chronicles is. The only other current-gen game that comes close, in my eyes, is Burnout Paradise.

Large screenshots below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Loved the demo. Probably should have bought it last year, but I ended up going with some other games (probably should have got this instead of R2). Once I finish up some other games, I'll probably look into getting this game. Looking forward to it, especially given the positive impressions.

Only bad thing is that I think it bombed in Japan and the US (well...more so Japan than the US). I thought I saw that they were thinking about making a sequel, but that may have just been speculation. Unless sales pick up, that probably won't happen. They should rename it Call of Duty: Valkyria Chronicles.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

It looks nice.

I picked up a 360 recently(couldn't pass it up for 158) + Mass effect. Very cool looking, but I haven't gotten very far in it at all.

I don't understand why more games don't use cell shading though. It is very pretty, and stands the test of time a lot better imo.

As soon as vesperia gets a price drop, I'm all over that(and fallout 3 as well).

I didn't like Okami near as much as you did. Kind of turned into a grind about halfway through. And it was good that you could run from most of the battles because they were a bore. I liked making trees grow though. It kind of became an obsession.

4. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Bought this and Resistance 2 last night. Haven't even THOUGHT about unwrapping Resistance yet because I'm having so much fun with this. It's been awhile since I've really been hooked by a game, but Valkyria Chronicles might do it. Only 3 chapters in, but LOVE it so far, beautiful game.

Y'all playing with the English or Japanese voices? I've stuck to Japanese so far, but does this happen to be one of those rare cases with a good English dub? Haven't heard...

5. Drexlerfan22

Yep, the English is pretty good. Give it a shot.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

Gasp

Yes it is incredible

I picked up a day after its release and I love it

7. Drexlerfan22

Have you finished it? Is the 2nd half of the game as great as the first?

8. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Drexlerfan, based on many of your previous posts, I think we have a very similar taste in games.

This is the next game in my Gamefly queue. I'm looking forward to playing it, even moreso now.

Gotta hurry up and beat Silent Hill Homecoming.

9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I've beaten it. The 2nd half was more challenging to me. I thought they did a really good job pacing enemy difficult with your own leveling so you don't really have to grind skirmishes. Playing on game+ really shows how much of a difference leveling and equipment makes.

10. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Didn't know what to expect when I picked this game up (based on reviews and I just wanted something different). I usually play sports, fighing, and shooters. Haven't played many RPGs since the PS2. This game is great. Sadly, not many people will play this game and it won't get the recognition I believe it deserves.

11. Drexlerfan22

Probably.

I can only hope that maybe it will have enough of a cult following to see a resurgence at some point. It may have sold poorly in general, but in my experience, that's because there didn't seem to be that many copies to buy.

Gamestops around me were always out of stock, and I remember getting a mailer from Amazon.com not too long ago saying this was the #5-selling PS3 game of 2008, behind only LBP, Fallout 3, Prince of Persia, and Resistance 2. It beat out CoD: World at War, Mirror's Edge, MK vs DC, the new Motorstorm, and Shaun White Snowboarding.

So it's not like no one bought it. It just seems like the publicity was non-existent, and the supply was poor to boot.

Reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics... supply was so sparse when I bought it that the only place I could find a copy was a Blockbuster rental copy without a case, which I convinced them to sell to me for $45. Then a year later people started noticing it, for whatever reason... there was some kind of re-release, and all of a sudden cheap copies were everywhere.

Maybe something similar is in store for Valkyria Chronicles. I really hope so, because as you illustrate yourself, this game is so good that it can turn people on to the genre who rarely touch these types of games. That's just good for the industry, and certainly good for sequel prospects.

12. Drexlerfan22

SHH any good?

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Not coming out on 360?

14. Drexlerfan22

Nope.

Which pisses my brother off to no end... I wish it would come out for 360, because then more people would buy it, and a sequel would be more likely.

15. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Does Tom Cruise make an appearance?

16. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The game only sold ~33K in November. Sales could have possibly been better in December (LBP sold better in December than October or November), but I think even the best case scenario for sales wouldn't have it very high. I don't know how much Sega shipped to the US, but I'm guessing they probably didn't underestimate how much to ship by very much...or rather, retailers didn't underestimate how many to buy.

To be honest, while sales weren't that great, I'm not sure US sales were really the problem. Few of the HD JRPGs have sold that well in the US, except for Lost Odyssey @ ~200K IIRC. Tales of Vesperia, for example, sold about the same as VC in its first month, and if I'm not mistaken, it sold better than some/most previous Tales games (at least recent ones...maybe since the PS2).

VC was probably a bigger disappointment in Japan, selling around 142K. I guess it didn't do too poorly compared to other HD JRPGs (Blue Dragon sold ~200K, Lost Odyssey ~100K, Tales of Vesperia ~146K, Infinite Undiscovery ~120K, White Knight Chronicles 300K+ IIRC), but then again, it didn't have the "backing" those other games had, especially the 360 ones (or at least, I hope Microsoft helped pay for those releases). Probably could have used another 100K+ or so at least. Sega's other exclusive PS3 RPG-esque game, a Yakuza game, sold ~270K...although that was probably disappointing too *(edit: Or maybe not...70K better than Yakuza 2, and this was a spinoff on the PS3...hmm)*. For even more comparison, Final Fantasy Tactics sold 800K+ in Japan (I think in a month? 1.35M+ overall) and ended up shipping 2.27M by 2003. Of course, I haven't really kept track of European sales, so maybe they're making up for us idiots in the US and Japan. ;)

There is/will be an Anime and Manga in Japan, so it is possible that sales will increase if these become popular, potentially leading to a sequel. As for a 360 port, it certainly is possible, as is the case for pretty much any game not developed/published by Sony/Microsoft. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Sega decided not to do it since it probably won't help sales too much. The biggest boost would come in the West, but sales are so low for games like this that it probably wouldn't matter (even if PS3 sales were doubled, it would only be ~90K for both). They'd probably want some big sales boost in Japan, and porting the game to the 360 would likely not provide that. I'm not even sure sales would justify the cost in porting the game, let alone the costs to make the game. Ironically enough, I believe the game was once planned as a multiplatform release...or maybe even 360 exclusive. I forget.

edit: Now a Wii port (assuming it is possible)...

edit2:Hmm...thought I'd check out the VC thread at NeoGAF to get some more insight on things (usually avoid it since I haven't played it). They mention low shipments too...maybe Sega did screw up there (although again, don't know how much they shipped and what has been sold). Apparently, they're going to re-release it in Japan with the new anime. They're definitely trying.

#16 RC Cola, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If I can find this tomorrow, I will buy it. I have two weeks off between jobs and need a break from Civ4 anyway.

18. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

They have them in stock at Walmart.

19. Drexlerfan22

I knew something wasn't quite right with how few copies there were around.

Good to hear though. Maybe a re-release with better timing/publicity could make this game hit it big. It more than deserves it.

20. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Well, I was intrigued until I saw it was a PS3 exclusive. I dont have one of those...