1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gamer gets "Swatted"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KDJ3, Aug 29, 2014.

1. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nz8yLIOb2pU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is apparently a growing trend in the game streaming community. Someone watching a gamer live stream calls in a fake shooting, bomb, etc. threat to the police and watch as SWAT breaks in and apprehends the streamer. The people who do this need to realize that someone could get killed in these kind of situations. The guy who gets "swatted" in this video is a part of a gaming/Youtube group that has an office in Colorado where they do a lot of skits; some involving masks, fake guns, things of that nature. If they happened to have been filming such a skit when SWAT showed up, they could have been shot on site. This is something that more gamers should be aware of and that the police monitor more closely.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I hope whoever called this in gets hard time.

Also, the cops had no right to turn that camera off.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This has been going around for a while now. A kid in Houston just last week I believe was SWATTED and had a SWAT team surround his home for no reason. Insanely ridiculous and a waste of money, time and officers on patrol.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

i remember when they were swatting celebrities... its funny imo but it can go wrong pretty easily

5. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I think I heard about one in Austin recently.

I agree.

6. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

I can understand sending someone pizzas or taxis or something and just causing a minor disruption, but something as dangerous as this is way beyond the line.

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Can't understand why anyone would find swatting entertaining except for trolls. Such a waste of time and money. Just imagine if the guy was playing with loud speakers and the cops stormed in when they were shooting. Itchy trigger fingers already.

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I feel like the real issue here is why do cops get the right to bust in your house and put you in custody just because they receive a phone call

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The people who initiate this stuff should go to jail. Seriously.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This is further evidence that gamers are completely divorced from reality. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

11. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

For this particular situation, they were in an office building near two public schools, so it's sort of understandable. They shut down and evacuated both schools and other nearby offices and handcuffed all of the guys in the office. All because some troll wanted to laugh.

12. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Vice video on this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-ziLjOPCQwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Unfortunately, it is easy to call in these threats and hard to track down the people who do it.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

The first real issue here is that it isn't funny at all, and anyone who does this sort of thing needs to be strung up by the short curlies.

Why they get the right to bust in is another issue entirely.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

seeing all those swat officers walking down that street made me sick... the over militarization of our police forces is a real issue and its only going to get worse.

15. droopy421

droopy421 Member

The scene with the largest amount of swat officers was during the Boston marathon bombing search. They used many scenes from that one instance. I'm glad you can find humor in 'swatting' and disgust with the officers.

1 person likes this.
  16. bigben69

bigben69 Member

A lot of the times the calls say that there are hostages or people in danger. Otherwise, they would just send an officer. This is a really dumb trend. This is one of the few that I do not see the humor in at all. Well this and the knockout game....

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Im sorry that I'm not to keen on the idea that someone can bust down my door and shoot me if i dont do everything they say... plus the whole thing would probably be covered up by the local PD so they can keep receiving grants for weapons that they do not need.

I find it funny in the sense that the officers look like dip****s

18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

how do they know where the streamer is to SWAT them?

19. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

probably got his IP address or something

20. VanityHalfBlack

That's it I'm playing all my games offline.