1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[game] Pillars of Eternity RPG by makers of Baldur's Gate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by morpheus133, Nov 12, 2014.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

What is Eternity?

[​IMG]

Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!

Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Races

[​IMG]

Choose to play as one of the six playable races: Human, Aumaua, Dwarf, Elf, Godlike, and Orlan. Whether you're playing a stout Dwarf, a towering Aumaua, or one of the otherworldly Godlike, Eternity's plethora of playable races scratch every role-playing itch you may have and allow for deep character customization.

Classes

[​IMG]

We give you a range of options, and a range of character slots – it’s up to you what heroes and villains you want to make. Choose to play as one of the eleven unique classes, some familiar, some indigenous to the world of Eternity: sprint into the fray as a frenzied Barbarian, expand and master the multitude of spells in your Wizard's grimoires, use the Paladin's commands, auras, and flames of devotion to rally your party, or invoke the powerful ancestral memories of lost souls as a Chanter.

Spells and Abilities

[​IMG]

Eternity's world is filled with living and lost souls. They bring the spark of awareness and memory to mortals, but they also hold a wealth of power for individuals who unlock their hidden potential. Druids can learn the mysteries of nature spirits to shift their bodies into animalistic forms. Rangers forge lifelong soul bonds with their animal companions to heighten their abilities and link them for life. By meditating on intense physical pain, Monks focus spiritual energy they can redirect into the world through their weapons -- or bare hands. The enigmatic Ciphers link their minds to the souls of allies and enemies to produce an array of devastating effects.

Locations

[​IMG]

Eternity's environments are brimming with life: majestic waterfalls with great sprays of mist, rivers and lakes that raise and lower, weather effects like fog, rain, and lightning, and a day-night cycle to reflect the passage of time. Finding adventure and resolving quests are at the heart of Pillars of Eternity, but exploring the cities, dungeons, and wildernesses of the world is a rewarding adventure on its own.

Game System

[​IMG]

Pillars of Eternity uses a custom rule system heavily inspired by classic and contemporary tabletop fantasy role-playing games. Its design strives to retain the spirit of traditional tabletop mechanics while taking advantage of the real-time processing power of personal computers. Players will recognize many familiar elements -- six attribute scores, many classic races and classes, discrete character levels, a roll-to-hit combat system, strength-based personal character inventories -- but the systems use seconds (and fractions of seconds) instead of rounds, a virtual "100-sided die" for more transparent combat mechanics, and the use of easily-understood formulas that would be difficult to calculate in a tabletop environment. The game's options are set up to show as much or as little of this information as players want, with separate difficulty settings for individual preferences players can toggle to their tastes.

You can learn more about Pillars of Eternity at the official wiki graciously hosted at curse.com

The new preorder trailer was just released:

[youtube]hCiO4P4ZixY[/youtube]

3 people like this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The part about upgrading and defending your stronghold looks exciting. This game is promising.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I'll play it if on xbox one. I like those games. I didn't see anything epic in the trailer that didn't remind me of diablo or baldur's gate before. Both games that were generally lots of fun. But I hope it's better. For me, I'd like see the RPG world really change based on what I choose to do or not do, and changed based on my success or failure. I haven't really seen that in a game. Although Fable seems to go for it and generally fail on the global scale. And Mordor added an interesting element with it's military ranking system. I'd like to shape my world like in minecraft, shape my characters like in Fable and Mordor, but all based on my decisions made in a good RPG with a good story. And in an open world to discover.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Pfft, it's come a loooooong way from Pools of Radiance! :cool:

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Witcher I&II would be the right game for you, I think. 3 is coming out soon and looks to be one of the best RPGs in years.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Did you ever play Kingdoms of Amalur? I enjoyed that much more than Fable.

Anyway, looks like this game will be PC only.

1 person likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Yeh, Amalur was a great game. Haven't finished it yet because I'm without my console til February, but will definitely do it when I come back.

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

For me, more Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape Torment games is a win even without any technology upgrades that they add, so I'm really looking forward to this and Torment: Tides of Numenera

[youtube]Gd43NYBzHuk[/youtube]

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There's a glitch in the game that will allow you to buy an unlimited number of backpacks and therefore carry an unlimited number of items. Look into it if you hate having to constantly run back and forth to traders to sell things. But the glitch doesn't present itself until you've gone through like 2/3 of the map.

#9 Haymitch, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Agreed. The witcher games are great. The choice consequence in those games are great.

Just 3 more months.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Looks great

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It's a Kickstarter game and I just looked and I backed it on 9/14/12. Wow, it's been two years. But yeah, I'm excited for it to come out.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Never played Witcher or Amalur. Will definitely check out!

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I would have known more about Kingdoms of Amalur before this. I'm going to get it for sure, but with Dragon Age Inquisition coming out next week, I'm going to have to wait until I finish with that game. Then I'll check it out.

15. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Looks great! Too bad I have absolutely no incentive to play long RPGs in the era of Youtube. I wonder if game makers also send takedown notices to Youtube (not that I'm complaining).

Nowadays I'd rather play a few (or ten) games of League of Legends and read a book or watch a movie. I get the same joy of the RPG grind/gaming in much less time and then get in a good story uninterrupted and not artificially drawn out by the grind. But that's just me.

16. Wilezra

Wilezra Member

I think you should play Amalur before DA. I lost all interest in Amalur when the DA games came out.

OT: I'd rather they make a remake of NWN. The atmosphere in that game, old as it is (though not as old as Baldur ofc), was astounding.

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Release date is this Thursday

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I re-played some of the backer beta recently, in preparation for the release. Really enjoyed what I've played and seen from the final product. Definitely looking forward to its release. :)

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I've been waiting. I hadn't seen an update in a while via Kickstarter and I saw pre-order on Steam. Beta was open to me but I didn't want to ruin any of the story so I opted not to do it.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For those that were part of the Kickstarter, don't forget to confirm your pledge.