1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Three

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

i know what u guys mean with arya, i too love her acting but have noticed she can be a little stiff sometimes.

ive wondered if its because of how the camera shooting her is positioned, or if her wardrobe sometimes restricts her. for instance that clunky belt of hers never seemed right to me, or even the pants they give her to wear.

oh and the way she killed the frey was weird if they werent trying to show her inexperience in the matter, or the brutality with which she killed him. was hoping for a clean and cool throat slit or something.

but anyways, im decently happy with the episode. like others, wouldve preferred a different ending but loved the small council and lannister scenes.

one question, in regards to shae's last line was it her thinking that tyrion sent varys on his behalf, or that it was varys' directive to come to her and that when tyrion states he feels the same way directly to her, she'll comply?

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I was about to bring up the Arya thing as well. She does look very uncoordinated not only when she was stabbing, but also when she was running. That's not good because it means she's not an athlete.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It kind of hard to figure out because Varys is tough to figure out. That being said I do think he always has the realm in mind when making decisions, that leads me to believe that he did it on his own accord.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I like Varys's character. IMO only him and Tyrion seem to care for the welfare of the kingdom and it's citizens. Of course next thing I know Varys is more of a **** then Little Finger.

5. GRENDEL

I don't know, all of Varys actions have been for the good of the realm, on the show, while Little Finger has always been more concerned with his own position.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Have to disagree about Arya. She isn't well versed
    yet
    :p
    in killing. The savage hacking was about what I'd expect from someone so angry.

Maisie Williams (Arya) is actually really good. Neither too wooden nor prone to over-acting. Someone who's holding in a lot of grief.

As far as Varys, it was completely his own idea to visit Shea. Her remark meant, "I'm only going to leave if he wants me to leave." Her character, by the way, is much better than in the books, even if Sybel Kikelli (or however you spell her name) isn't the greatest actress (maybe her acting is lost while trying to speak English; Penelope Cruz has the same problem, great in Spanish, mediocre in English).

#1186 ROXTXIA, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What do you guys expect a 10 yr old girl to do the first time she kills someone? LOL

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

pillow fight

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

With Arya? I would prefer Melisandre and Margaery get in one.

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Someone who remembers better correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Varys talking with Ilyrio beneath the Red Keep when Arya overheard them talking about Ned Stark before he was executed?

I like Varys, but I don't know that he can be trusted any better than Littlefinger. Perhaps less.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Am I hearing people right: The Red Wedding is best scene ever? And the producers were most inspired by it to warrant making a TV show?

Guess I should watch that massacre again.

So, rank your top five favorite scenes of Season 3 (and list episode if you can remember). I'd like to re-watch some on rainy days this summer.

#1192 heypartner, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yes.

I think he can be trusted in the sense that he has no personal ambition to take the throne. Where Littlefinger is clearly moving to gain power and prestige, Varys is trustworthy in the sense that everything he does has the end game of not his own personal gain, but rather what he sees as the gain of the realm.

Seems like he is working to get Danny on the throne.

1 person likes this.
  14. hooroo

hooroo Member

So Sandor stuffing his face after a fight is a running gag now?

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I get the same feeling (about Danny), though sounds like you trust him more than I feel like I should. Maybe he's all good short term "for the realm" but long term remains to be seen (obviously), depending on what one thinks is "good" for the realm.

16. GRENDEL

Might be a gag but kind of makes sense, doesn't seem like there's plentiful food on the road. If it's there why not eat it?

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't think the Red Wedding is the best scene just the most shocking. My favorite scenes usually revolve around character development and not action so my favorites would likely be different then most peoples. But here is a few.

Season 1 Episode 1 Tyrion slaps around Joffrey

Season 1 Episode ? The dancing master dies

Season 1 Episode ? Tywin makes Tyrion the hand of the king

Season 1 Episode ? Jamie and Ned fight in the streets

Season 1 Episode 1 Opening Scene with the White Walker

Season 1 Episode 10 Arya and Yoran

I'll have to think on Seasons 2 & 3 later

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well trust is probably not the right word to use. I don't think he can be trusted not kill someone. Heck, he even told Ned Stark he could get him out but refused. He can be trusted in the sense that his motive seems clear (at least for now) and that is to eventually get Danny on the throne.

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

NSFW

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhF8LhT8XdrWX321y0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhF8LhT8XdrWX321y0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

20. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Since there is no season 5, that could be difficult. :grin: I assume you mean season 3?

I dunno. That's tough. I'll give it a shot, but I'm sure I'll be forgetting all sorts of great scenes.

Before I start, my favorite scene of the show so far is still Robert-Cersei in season 1, episode 5.

Also, it might be easier to just say that I like pretty much any scene with Charles Dance/Tywin. Other than maybe Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell, he's the best-cast actor in the series. He pretty much steals every scene he's in.

Okay, top 5 (chronological order):

1. Episode 1, Tyrion-Tywin. Tyrion asking why Tywin never came to see him, Tywin saying Tyrion will never inherit, etc.

2. Episode 3, the scene where Jaime gets his hand chopped off, and all the conversation leading up to it.

3. Episode 5, Jaime and Brienne in the baths.

4. Episode 8, Tyrion's wedding (after the ceremony) when he's getting drunk. That's a long scene with a lot of great interactions between many different characters.

5. Episode 10, the small council scene near the beginning, ending with Tywin-Tyrion talking privately.

Notes on favorite scenes in each episode:

Episode 1: Tyrion-Tywin, middle of the episode. They're talking about how Tyrion did as Hand of the King.

Episode 2: Olenna Tyrell's first scene, with Margaery and Sansa.

Episode 3: Man, a lot of good stuff here. Edmure missing the arrow for the funeral pyre, and Blackfish saving it, then the follow-up scene on Edmure's mistake. The small council scene with Cersei and Tyrion moving chairs around. Catelyn looking out the window and talking to Blackfish. And Jaime getting his hand chopped off, and all the conversation leading up to that. All good stuff.

Episode 4: Varys-Olenna, middle of the episode.

Episode 5: Olenna-Tyrion. Arya-Beric-Thoros around the fire. Jaime and Brienne in the baths. Tywin-Cersei-Tyrion at the end when he tells them about their respective engagements.

Episode 6: Olenna-Tywin, where he forces her into the Loras-Cersei marriage.

Episode 7: Margaery-Sansa, near the beginning. Tywin-Joffrey in the middle, where he walks up to the throne. Jaime saving Brienne at the end.

Episode 8: The whole wedding scene (post-ceremony, the celebration afterwards) when Tyrion is getting drunk. A lot of great moments in that scene between a number of different characters.

Episode 9: Arya-Hound talking about halfway through, Red Wedding.

Episode 10: Tyrion-Sansa, the small council scene, including the Tyrion-Tywin bit at the end.

1 person likes this.