1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Seven

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 12, 2016.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I thought the resurrection occurred before crossing the wall and they made a point of showing blue eyes. Regardless, it's ambiguous and there's a few possibilities. It's possible that wights are able to cross the wall but not White Walkers. It's also possible that the soldier was turned after crossing the wall or that they were somehow allowed to cross due to the Night's Watch allowing them to do so. Maybe they have to be invited across?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, they had blue eyes when found outside the wall but were still "dead." Sam said they look to be dead for weeks, so they had rotted some.

And yeah, many speculated that being invited over was OK.

Whatever allowed it, it was some type of Trojan Horse, where it was turned, but not yet fully re-animated....which implies this isn't typical rules behavior. PPL say the book never explained it.

As for WW's being affected but not wights, that's not how the magic worked on the 3-eyed raven cave. Neither could cross. I assume the magic spell is the same.

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

My Theory (speculation) on the whole wight dragon...

Fire is effective against Ice.
    Ice is effective against fire.

Dragons breath fire, icy wight dragon breaths ice. Epic battle of fire and ice in the sky to come.

(this is all based off my teenage D&D geekdom and is pure speculation)

#1503 VooDooPope, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    FranchiseBlade and heypartner like this.
  4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i get you, but for me the problem i have is that its just lazy writing. it would be so easy to set things up in a way that would make better sense and it would not even take up much screen-time. the swimming-in-armor-for-500-yard, euron being everywhere, jon sending gendry to wall to send a raven to dany who flies a dragon and just happens to find them...that should have taken at least a couple weeks, but they made it seem like a day. they just force the viewers to go along with these obvious leaps in logic when it would be so simple to write it in a way that would make sense.

i feel like the writers of the walking dead took over the show this season. its just bad, lazy writing. im a newbie to the show. i binged watch the whole series from last noveber to march...the other seasons were so well written and carefully plotted out...this season is the only one that i feel this way about.

iconoclastic and fba34 like this.
  5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Been some discussion about fans complaining about the lack of realism in the show, particularly recent episodes. While I still enjoy the show and look forward to the upcoming episodes, I think the complaints are for a good reason, at least a better reason than typical fan complaints about TV and film story telling.

This is because Game of Thrones (or A Song of Ice and Fire) is not just a fantasy story, but a critique of fantasy stories-- much like Watchmen is a critique of superhero comics. GoT is full of subversion of fantasy tropes based on how a realistic medieval world (with dragons and magic) would be-- the apparent hero of the story, Ned Stark, gets killed; the brutality of medieval warfare and the medieval world in general described in gory detail, and so on and so forth. GRRM drew a lot of inspiration from his reading of actual history, down to the lamprey pies. The deliberate, sprawling style of story-telling is a part of this.

Now, the show feels weird not because it is violating the rules that the internet wants it to follow but because it is violating the rules that the show itself (and the books) established. It's still a fun show, but feels like a different show.

6. heypartner

This is the same complaint people are making with regard to Ainge refusing to give a pick for Paul George or Butler, resulting in two West teams getting stronger, then violating his own rules of keeping the BKN pick, by trading it for Irving in the East.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

That's not the same complaint... That's not the same complaint at all.

hp out here trying to trigger fans of the show for the lols.

8. heypartner

Ok, fixed it

This is the same complaint Game of Zones fans are making with regard to Ainge Lord of Celts refusing to trade his prized House Nyet heir for Sir George or Butler, resulting in two Westeros Houses getting stronger, then violating his own rules by trading it to King James of Essos.​

B-Bob, Sajan and DreamShook like this.
  9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Seems like dragonglass arrowheads and good archers could end the war pretty quickly, no?

donkeypunch and B-Bob like this.
  10. The Stig

The Stig Member

You would think... But if there's anything that the last episode has told us, it is that logic and the show don't go together anymore.

11. heypartner

Yep, if you launch 100s of Dragonglass arrowheads and one hits the Night King, all the dead he resurrected would die with him.

But ... if the Night King allows himself to be hit from a distance, the owners of logic will scream "Rickon all over again". Hell, the Spartans in 300 never got hit by volleys of arrows that blackened the sky.

So, which is it:
    1. Do we hit the NK from a distance and everyone screams Rickon Stupidity again, or
    2. Does the NK just step to the side or cover himself with a shield like in 300, and we all yell "Why did they waste all their Dragonglass on such a stupid plan."
    This self-contradictory "logic" that is violating its own previous rule of logic is getting too easy to poke fun at now, 'eh @Carl Herrera

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

13. heypartner

Dragonglass archers: "Loose!!"

[​IMG]

Dayum,,,they blocked them.
    Reload.
    "Sir, we have no more Dragonglass arrows."
    crap ... whose illogical plan was that? Someone on the Internet?

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Now the directors are taking this non-realism thing too far. Defend this HeyP
    [​IMG]

15. MystikArkitect

That's kinda the thing...do you want it to follow that same structure or so you want GRRM to stroke your heart strings? I know that Key had originally planned the ending for Get Out to be different. He wanted him to get caught by the cops and put in jail but he didn't think that the audience would take it well. You've been through that whole struggle seemingly for nothing.

That's the question. Do Weiss/GRRM/Benioff have the balls to end this show the way it's always gone? Where the good guys don't win? That's the funny thing about movies and shows. They always paint a scenario that doesn't really work in real life. The good guy doesn't usually win in real life but due to the shows and movies you watch, you would think that he does.

16. heypartner

Wow...an uncropped screenshot of a snapchat of a TV screen.

btw: that's from a BTS video showing the extras catching someone from an angle that isn't the main shot. Did you fall for that Fake News? lulz

#1516 heypartner, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    jchu14 likes this.
  17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think it's necessarily about the good guys winning or losing. In fact, one of the tropes that GoT challenges is the idea of who are even "the good guys." It's more about actions having real consequences and there often being a real price to be paid-- you luck out some times, but not every time. And story takes time, often a frustratingly long time, to develop while the rest of the world goes on. It's like a video game having a realistic, impactful feeling physics and a balanced economic engine.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Lulz. Twas a joke but the fact that you knew where it came from makes me wonder if you really do somehow work for the show in some capacity. That and the fact you get so butt hurt with everything thrown out there that you dont agree with. Man, you really might give yourself an aneurysm.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does the wight take on a box of breath mints with him?

20. heypartner

lulz...where exactly did you think I wasn't joking about the truck pic. Did you not catch the paradox -- screen within a picture within a screen -- joke.

Took a very simple Google search "got truck in background" to find the source of the screenshot.

dayum, dude...you're pretty weak at the google, if you fell for that Fake News,,,lulz