1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season Four

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jul 5, 2013.

1. SportsFanatic

SportsFanatic Member

Made this same decision and currently regretting it. Now all I can do is try to keep the TV off any sports channel while I cry myself to sleep.

2. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

lucky me...watched the show after the game, cheered me up slightly.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yep, I desperately needed that palette cleanser.

Even "boring" episodes are outstanding with this show. I find myself checking the clock disappointed when an episode is almost over.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Can't watch it after the disaster I just watched in Toyota Center tonight. Wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Will wait until tomorrow...

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Maybe I was just so pissed about the rockets, but I felt like that episode was pretty boring.

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea wasn't the best episode ever . Liked the Daenerys scene though . The thing with Jamie and Cersi was pretty disgusting .. really Jamie right on top of your dead incestuous son ... creepy doesn't even begin to describe that scene .

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My wife and I enjoyed the episode.

Last week (Joffrey) was good to see, but the non-wedding scenes were either dreadfully dull (Stannis) or extremely gratuituous AND dull (Bolton / Snow).

8. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Not many comments in regards to last night's episode, I guess everyone was watching the debacle of last night's game. :mad:

I caught the first 30ish mins before tip-off and the rest at halftime/beginning of 3rd qtr.

9. Nero

Nero Member

Watched it last night after the Rockets game. I was HOPING to be watching it after a Rockets WIN, but instead I got the worst possible thing - overtime AND a loss.

Ugh.

Anyway, the episode seemed to me to be mostly filler. I assume Little-Finger is now going to become the character everyone hates, to replace Joffrey.

I liked the scenes with Tywinn again, Dance is such a fine actor, he is always the standout in whatever project he is in. I did enjoy the scene between Oberyn (I really should learn how to spell these characters' names lol) and Tywinn - it does make me look forward to the inevitable meeting between the Mountain and the Red Viper.

One thing has been bothering me - and if this is better explained in the books, maybe spoiler it, or if it's not really a spoiler, then go ahead and say I guess - Brienne.

The giant warrior-woman has been practically out of her mind with a burning need for revenge on Stannis for the death of Renly -based solely, mind you, on nothing more than what she somehow perceived in the smoky special-effects image that killed Renly. So, ok, she's loyal and vengeful. Fine. That's part of her character.

Except.. then she was pledged and sworn to protect and serve Catelin. Catelin, who, oh yeah, was much less ambiguously betrayed and murdered at the direct instructions of the Lannisters, namely Tywinn. And yet there she is at the wedding, walking around, smiling, making small talk with Cersei, etc.

I don't get it. It's as though the Red Wedding simply does not register to her at all, and that seems very out of character for her.

What am I missing?

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

They tried too hard to be shocking for that scene. This episode was a series of vignettes of Westeros being seemingly despicable, intending to build up to that "uplifting" ending. Unfortunately, the couch potato in me had seen all before., I recognised early on where the episode was headed, ie it just didn't work for me.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think what registers with her the most is that she was beaten and almost raped until Jamie saved her, was thrown to a bear a to be killed until Jamie saved her, and most importantly, she ultimately fell in love with him.

Recall the scene where the Queen asked her if she loved him?

She's probably never let herself love someone before and certainly has never let herself think someone else might love her back.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

She has never really been out for revenge, at least not as her primary focus she is a knight, who is sworn to protect. She wanted to take revenge on Stannis, but instead wore loyalty to Catelyn, thereby putting aside her revenge, Catelyn became first priority.

She swore to Catelyn to safely return Sansa (in order to do so she had to first make sure Jamie made it to King's Landing). They briefly discussed it, now that the Starks are dead, there really is nowhere to return Sansa to.

Not really a major spoiler
    She is sworn to protect Sansa, now that Sansa is gone, she doesn't stay in King's Landing much longer, she sets out to find her.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Also, she is in love with Jamie.

14. dragician

dragician Member

I agree, those are filler scenes, like a status update for each characters, short updates.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Don't really consider this a spoiler at this point, but just to be safe:
    IIRC, at the time of the wedding, in the books Brienne and Jaime hadn't yet made it back to King's Landing. So she wasn't at the wedding. On top of that, when she arrives, Jaime has her arrested for her own protection since the Tyrell's still think she killed Renly. But then Loras visits her in prison and they realize she didn't do it. They made that part of the wedding reception scene on the show. So in the books, she's pretty much segregated from everybody when she's in the city.

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Brienne is also more concerned with Renly's death because she was accused of it and feels that people thinking she did it is a slight against her honor since she was loyal to him.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I also thought it was a weak episode.

18. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Really? I thought it was fantastically good. Certainly better than episode 2, where most non-wedding scenes were just boring (Bran and Reek are particularly uninteresting storylines at this point). There was so much good stuff in this. The only things I thought were "meh" were the Sam-Gilly scenes and the Hound-Arya scenes (and the latter only because they were drawn out a bit too long).

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I thought it was a really solid episode as well. The last bit with Dany really left me annoyed the episode was over....

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

All that money spent on costumes and wigs and they couldn't color Lena's dark eyebrows to match her wig ...
    I suppose when Cersei gets her head shaved it will be pitch black underneath to show the world she is actually a Baratheon