1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The perfect example of this is the book people b****ing about Jon and Ghost and talking about Jons in the books having some telekinetic bond with Ghost.

I get it.. you think you deserve that kind of depth in the TV series but with only 80 hours of TV available, you can only go so deep. To me I just focus on the arc. Like is Jon now dealing with the weight of the reality of his father and mother appropriately... yeah. From a narrative perspective we see him letting go of his wolf. That’s kind of it right there.

mario_v and BigM like this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

To begin the season, I was upset that it was only gonna be a short 6 episodes. I now am ready to get this show over with. Sad to say for such a great series, but it has gone by way of "Dexter" in the last seasons of writing, almost unbearable at times. I dont find myself not finishing it like Dexter but am really at peace with it ending sooner rather than later.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Why did that make this one 1:30 minutes?

[​IMG]

arkoe likes this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ok so I’m not the only one. Show going for more shock and wow factor than anything and trying to keep “evil queen Cersei “ as a plot fall back for way too long

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This is how I feel. Hurry up and end already.. I'm not a die hard fan of this show, but I think a lot of people are pretty underwhelmed after having to wait a year and change to watch this slog.

Last season, when characters started teleporting all over Westeros, that should have been the first indication this wasn't going to end well.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's a good point because yeah, in the books that's a major thing...but would that hit on a show? Would it really be necessary? Also, the budget has to be considered, they admitted they didn't have money for both dragons and direwolves, in a book the writer can imagine any scene s/he wants, doesn't have to pay actors/actresses ever growing contracts, etc etc, book writers always have a lot more freedom to do whatever they please. The show never went into the direwolves arc as much but they explained why. Budget.

Or like when people complain about teleporting...is the show supposed to show them traveling just to travel? A writer would do this because a writer may be trying to meet a quota for how many words they want to write and why not add in some purple prose of Bronn traveling north and add a bit of character development in his trip up north...but are people going to go for that? TV watchers were already impatient with the Greyjoy stuff and some were impatient with the two episodes before episode 3 this season. I really don't think people are patient enough for filler episodes about traveling or the depth of information a book throws at you.

I didn't think that much about how Jon said farewell to his wolf but yeah, he was certainly letting go. Perhaps it also is a bit of foreshadowing that he knows he's not coming back north. Whether he lives or dies he sort of knows he's not going back north again.

mikol13, arkoe and BigM like this.
  7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

God ****ing damnit. Surprise Euron with another flawless victory out of nowhere.

8. smokieethabear

Is Judge Judy doing "Dame time"??

DoitDickau likes this.
  9. TheresTheDagger

Well, I don't hate it as much as many here seem to, but will admit the final 2 seasons have been flawed. I think the writing suffered too for lack of source material, but also because it took 6 years of shows to get through the books that exist and now they are trying to wrap it up in 2 mini seasons.

Of course it's gonna feel rushed. That doesn't excuse the lack of clever plot twists and "whoa, I didn't see that coming moments" though. I keep holding out hope that the ending will have some sort of interesting twists, but with each episode, my hopes dim. As of now, I really felt that episode 3 of season 8 will go down as a poorly thought out ending. After 8 years of anticipation from the VERY FIRST MOMENTS of the shows 1st season we had reason to expect more....and they finished it off in 1 episode with a (in my opinion) cheesy ending with Arya.

Having said all that, this weeks episode felt like a step up (if you can forgive the super soldier Euron ****). The drama surrounding who will rule best between Dany and Aegon is interesting and I felt the acting was excellent in this episode from all.

2 episodes to go. Lets hope for 2 comebacks this week...the Rockets and GoT!

JayGoogle and Blake like this.
  10. hooroo

hooroo Member

it feels like fan fiction with heavy fan service at this point. they're pulling out random things at will now. half expecting the series finale to feature a mouthless deadpool with laser eyes like they scripted for for wolverine origins.

one thing that's hard to get around is the dany-jon tension. if dany believes she's barren and is hell bent on re-establishing the targ line. wouldn't her immediate thoughts of jon be as the last possible targ babymaker instead of as a rival?

Space Ghost likes this.
  11. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

But yet they had budget for countless hours of pointless character development,plot lines that went nowhere,giants,zombie polar bears etc . The budget thing is just an excuse for them not being creative enough. I'm not saying they should have gone all out and done the wolves like the books but they got next to nothing and they couldn't even budget in a pat on the head from snow ,damn shame

Rocket River likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As much as I want to join the echo chamber, I will miss this show when its gone.

They really did the drago wrong tho. Better off dying inside the Night King's fart cloud

Tyrion has been a **** hand. You told the spymaster what?!????

Sober??!!??

Did you know what swearing loyalty to someone means?

She's fighting a ****ing war to see who wins everything. It's not the model UN. No wonder your pops thought you didnt have it in ya.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Cersi sent out a dude with a crossbow to take out Jamie and Tyrion.

Yet, here was Tyrion right below her, with all her archers aim-ready, and she told them not to fire.

Weak.

Cersi of previous seasons would had that midget arrowed down as soon as he stopped talking.

Euron is the Elon Musk of Westeros; Sleazeball with propriety tech that is headed for an epic crash.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Of course Dany should have seen that ****ing fleet long before she gets her dragon sniped. But I don’t think about these things while I’m watching it. I’m still into the drama and generally ignore the holes. It bothered me more that they somehow built a thousand wood pyres at the beginning. I guess they got Eurons men to come help.

Honestly I enjoy the show much more until I come and read you guys’ comments. But I get the gripes.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Cersei not killing Tyrion is kinda the point. She loves her family above all as much as she blames him for everything. He reminds her that the Lannister name is just that... a name and wealth.

She hired Bronn knowing full well he likes hanging out with her brothers and would be conflicted about going through with it. It’s a total Cersei move of wanting to send the message that she is up for killing her brothers but not actually being able to go through with it.... because they are family and her father is still a big part of how she carries on.

Cersei is now sort of like early seasons Theon. I think over time people will give her character more appreciation.

Invisible Fan, BigM and arkoe like this.
  16. cebu

cebu Member

This show is becoming a soap opera.

Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.
  17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eh. I think you are giving her character more credit here than she deserves.

Eric Riley likes this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s always been a soap opera.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I blame the Dany fleet.

Misande's D is on them.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There are a few in here who do not understand our criticism. We are not asking for a complete recreation from the books. All we want is to see is intelligence and creativity. If it cost so much money to render a dragon, then lets not have Jon Snow hiding behind a rock from the ice dragon reigning down ice fire (never mind the same ice dragon punch a massive hole in the castle walls with ease), only to stand up and scream at the dragon for a minute while it stares at him in a confusing manner.

There is a reason why I dont watch shows like TWD. If I want a zombie themed soap opera, I would tune into TWD. And im not interested in a dragon themed soap opera either. I enjoyed the politics and the twists and turns early on in the show. Now its turned into the repetitive garbage found on regular TV. Bad guys get the upper hand, B level good guys die, and the A level good guys win in the end.