1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Was just watching that prison riot movie where the prisoners are demanding the latest Games of Thrones book, lol, and the warden is trying to convince them it's not done, but they insist it couldn't have taken him this long to write it. Just lol.

Jontro and iconoclastic like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Nah, they're idiots. :) They aren't idiots for failing to keep everything straight in their heads while they have to write, direct, and produce this big budget series. They are idiots for thinking they were capable of doing it all. As producers, they should have been smart enough to know they should use professional writers.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Which move is this?

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Logan Lucky.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just saw this ama, these answers from D&D are brutally bad and show why they failed so hard.

Should honestly never be allowed near a popular franchise again, the approach they describe is unprofessional af.

mikol13 likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No mention whatsoever in that article about how HBO and the showrunners might have had an easier time filling out more seasons if THE FREAKING BOOKS HAD ACTUALLY BEEN WRITTEN ON TIME. Maybe spend less time on planes to have meetings with HBO executives and spend more time on your DOS computer finishing the product you are asking them to film, GRRM?

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

There will be no more pages.

Sajan and Xerobull like this.
  9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Game Of Thrones Author Was Frustrated With HBO Show After Season 5

https://screenrant.com/game-thrones-show-george-martin-book-changes-reaction/

Apparently even though the other books weren't finished, he had provided the full outlined template for them to follow and they stopped following it.

This also may be his way of distancing himself from the poop show that was the final season or two.

Invisible Fan, Sajan and Xerobull like this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

It's easy to squash the vanquished after the fact, that's lazy, but the reality is you did not finish your books on an appropriate timeline, even lazier. Dude.

11. Beezy

Beezy Member

D&D started making big changes before they ran out of material because they didn't want to make the show anymore, and they wouldn't let anybody else run the show. The show started to go downhill in season 5, but everybody kept holding out for some sort of good ending that never came.

Sajan likes this.
  12. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

This is something outsiders say.

If he gave them the details and outline for the entire story (which has been stated from multiple sources), then why do the books matter? To us fans, they matter a ton, because it allows us to know where they deviated, and where they didn't. But to GRRM, and D/D the information was already there, they just decided not to use it. IMO, I think they wanted to probably show that they could succeed without being spoon fed scripts/details... (Which to us fans, it never worked, but in their eyes it worked masterfully)

13. PhiSlammaJamma

If he had finished the books, they would have had no choice but to use the book. He would have painted them into a corner. Therein, he caused this. By not finishing he gave them a choice. So don't complain about it now when he had total control. Just complete the task.

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's not pretend that an outline of the general storyline and the actual written books are the same thing. How many awesome lines that Tyrion said were verbatim out of the novels? The product that GRRM puts out is typically going to be far superior in the details than what the HBO showrunners and their teams would do. I feel like if they had that product, those details that made the world of Song of Ice and Fire so amazing, it would have been a totally different decision making process to end the show or deviate from GRRM's story. But of course this is all speculation because he didn't finish. And probably never will.

Xerobull likes this.
  15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t know anything about the books or Martin but the show runners should have handed the show off and let someone else complete the dynasty. They were on pace to be the greatest show of all time and fumbled it at the 10. Now they’re known as the guys who blew the superbowl instead of the dudes who ran the best television drama ever created. It sounded like the actors were on board for more as well.

16. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I 100% agree with this, and this is what I'm saying. They had plenty to use the books if need be, they just chose not to. Simple as that.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cut the grand neckbeard some slack.

He never got that Hollywood recognition and tang until recently. He's been yoloing his final days and can't get it up to troll his readers no more.

Deckard likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Some news? This is from George Martin's blog. If posted elsewhere, my apologies. I'm very interested in this and hope Snow comes about. His fate was left wide open, in my opinion, at least in Game of Thrones.

SNOW… and Other Stuff
    JUNE 23, 2022

These Not A Blog updates all seem to be turning into giant grab bags. Things pile up, and I am way too busy to blog more often, so I find myself with a lot to cover every time I have a spare moment.

I don’t really have a spare moment today, truth be told, but I am making one, since the news has broken about the Jon Snow development and I am being deluged with requests for comment. So….

Yes, there is a Jon Snow show in development. The HOLLYWOOD REPORTER story was largely correct. And I would expect no less from James Hibberd. I have dealt with a lot of reporters over the past few years, and Hibberd is one of the very best, an actual journalist who does all the things journalists are supposed to do (getting the facts right, talking to sources, respecting requests for “background only” and “off the record,” etc) that most of the clickbait sites never bother with.

Our working title for the show is SNOW.

There are four live-action successor shows in development at HBO. Word got out about three of them some time ago. TEN THOUSAND SHIPS, the Nymeria show, helmed by Amanda Segel. SEA SNAKE, aka NINE VOYAGES, with Bruno Heller. And the Dunk & Egg show, THE HEDGE KNIGHT or KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS, with Steve Conrad writing. I think some of these were officially announced; in other cases, news leaked out. (These things always seem to leak. There are so many people involved, writers, producers, agents, and everyone has assistants, and there is always the guy who runs the xerox machine, and reporters have sources, and people gossip, so… ) SNOW has been in development almost as long as the other three, but for whatever reason it was never announced and it never leaked… until now.

But, yes, it is true. This was not an official announcement from HBO, so it seems there was another leak. I did a long interview with James Hibberd last week, for the big HOUSE OF THE DRAGON story that HOLLYWOOD REPORTER is planning. At the end of the call, he asked a few questions about the spinoffs. “Is it possible one of the spinoffs is a sequel rather than a prequel?” he asked. I answered “No comment.” Then he asked “Is it possible a member of the original cast is attached?” And again I answered “No comment.” And that was all. But plainly he found someone more forthcoming than me. Who? I don’t know, and suspect I never will. A good journalist protects his sources.

There’s not much more I can tell you, not until HBO gives me a green light.

It seems as though Emilia Clarke has already mentioned that SNOW was Kit’s idea in a recent interview. So that part is out. Yes, it was Kit Harrington who brought the idea to us. I cannot tell you the names of the writers/ showrunners, since that has not been cleared for release yet… but Kit brought them in too, his own team, and they are terrific.

Various rumors are floating around about my involvement, or lack of same. I am involved, just as I am with THE HEDGE KNIGHT and THE SEA SNAKE and TEN THOUSAND SHIPS, and all the animated shows. Kit’s team have visited me here in Santa Fe and worked with me and my own team of brilliant, talented writer/ consultants to hammer out the show.

All four of these successor shows are still in the script stage. Outlines and treatments have been written and approved, scripts have been written, notes have been given, second and third drafts have been written. So far, that’s all. This is the way television works. Please note: nothing has been green lit yet, and there is no guarantee when or if it will be… on any of these shows. The likelihood of all four series getting on the air… well, I’d love it, but that’s not the way it works, usually.

There are all sorts of reasons pilots never get picked up to series, all sorts of reasons scripts never got shot as pilots, all sorts of reasons great treatments never get sent to script. That’s the way the business works. I learned that a long time ago, during my first go-round in television. BLACK CLUSTER. STARPORT. THE SURVIVORS. DOORWAYS. FADEOUT. Those were just a few of my stillborn children from those years. I mourn them still. This is a new day, though, so… here is hoping one or two or three or all four of the GOT spinoffs make it to air.

That’s all I can tell you about SNOW just now. If HBO says I can tell you more, I will…

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/06/23/snow-and-other-stuff/

mikol13 and Ziggy like this.
  19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t bump this thread. It’s a painful reminder of what was and wasn’t. Our expectations were subverted.

conquistador#11, ryan_98 and Sajan like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Then when more news about SNOW comes out, it is actually going into production, for example, or close to doing so, we should have a new thread dedicated to it. That would be fine with me.

Ubiquitin likes this.