1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 8

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2018.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

RIP Netflix

Sajan and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He says Arya wears Jaime’s face, but then Jaime is still alive? How does that work?

Either way, he was right about building the tension in the traditional 3 act structure way: towards the end.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shoe strings
    Swiss army knife
    Gum
    Duct tape
    ???
    Profit

B-Bob and don grahamleone like this.
  4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Thanks for posting. However I did not like his ending. His proposed ending was to much traditional for me. I really did not like Dany ending on the iron throne with Jons child..

I was not overly fond of the last season, but my main problems lay in the execution not the ideas. I loved some choices:
    1: The turning of Dany. She always had a bit of a entitlement in her. She was just a young person who believed she was supposed to sit on the throne just because of who her father was. Finding out she was not the true heir would mess her up. I think her turning into an antagonist and Jon having to kill her was a great choice. That being said the execution was not that great.
    2: Jamie not completing his story arc. I liked that for some characters they went away from the traditional ending. Him killing Cercei has been expected for years. I like the misdirection. Furthermore not everybody that try to change actually change.
    3: I like it that Jon did not kill the night king. Again it would have been so predictable if he or Dany killed him. Having Arya kill him was a great misdirection. (although i agree that it happened to soon, and again the execution was done poorly).

There were also things I did not like in the final season, mainly:
    1: Night king killed so early and the total lack of any of the lore and mysticism surrounding the Night King. We still did not learn anything about his motivation etc. And in a world filled with morally grey characters it is a bit disappointing that he was not fleshed out.
    2: King Bran.....

Sajan, BigM, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any ending with Dany on the throne is trashhhhhhh...

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought it was better, but they of course would need to execute it. It is much easier to rewrite after you see the original mistakes though. He's taking what they did well, and then adding to it. Extracting what he didn't like. That's all of life. Making someone else's idea better, however, those that plunge into the darkness first, even if they fail, are taking the much harder road.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Agree about the Night King getting bumped off too early, as well as the near absence of back story about the fellow. King Bran? I still can’t believe they went there. What were they thinking!

mikol13 likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This almost completely echoes my own thoughts on the season. Very well put.

arno_ed likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean... all true.

But there were so many things story aside that just because of their clear and obvious rush to finish... just served absolutely no purpose to the story despite insane build up the prior years.

It was horrible writing to the season. Like insanely bad.

#2369 JayZ750, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Sajan likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

1. because it was rushed.
    2. could have been executed better. like the chances of jamie landing on shore exactly where he did and then them both dying under rubble....give me a break.
    3. agree

1. because it was rushed.
    2. idiotic ending and idiotic execution on how they picked him

it's like they looked at the season and said...ok episode 1 we do this, close that story line. episode 2 we do this, end of the other story line.

that's not how this show was in season 1-6. the stories all blended together and it built up towards the end...

arno_ed likes this.
  11. FaBo

FaBo Member

This is an argument I will never fully understand. Since when does being predictable equate being bad? Unpredictability just for the sake of being unpredictable is one of the main reasons for the steaming pile of excrement that is The Last Jedi. I consider something being predictable but executed well to be far superior to something unpredictable executed poorly. Yes, Jon killing the Night King would have been predictable - but it also would have been right. This was his story, what his character was all about - trying to unite the quarreling factions against the ultimate enemy. Instead, Arya killing the Night King feels so undeserved. Taken together with how incredibly poorly it was executed, that scene alone managed to destroy the final season for me.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I am not saying that unpredictable means good and predictable means bad. However one of the things I like in a story If they can surprise me with misdirection. I love it when I do not know who will survive in a movie or book. I was shocked that Joffrey died when I read the books. I did not see that coming and it was against every trope of fantasy stories (he really seemed destined to be the big bad). To me one of the strong points of the books and the show was that you really did not know what would happen and who would survive in the end.

I disagree with you that that was Jons story. To me Jons story was the choice he had to make between his duty/honor and love. Through his entire story arc he struggled with that. So him killing Dany in the end was right. He choose duty. If you see him as the chosen one he was destined to destroy the big bad according to the standard Fantasy Tropes. But aSoIaF and Game of thrones was a story that did not follow the fantasy conventions. That is why I really liked it. So having Jon kill the night king would do a disservice to that (for me personally).

Maybe Arya Killing him was also not fully deserved. However in her story arc she was training to be an amazing assassin (although in the execution of this they did not use this as much). She was my favorite character so I enjoyed her being the one killing him. They could have done it better IMHO, but to me it was much better than having Jon kill him.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I have no problem with Brian being chosen. It was a surprise but he isn't undeserving or unqualified.

I agree that execution and way it was developed wasn't the best.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The more I dwell on it, the more I am convinced that season 8 not only ruined the whole series, but that it was deliberate. The only winners were the people who never watched the show.

DCkid, Jontro, Entropy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Agree with the first and last part.

I find myself envious of those who say they've never once watched it.

I don't think it was deliberate though.

I think the showrunners were just that bad once they had to think of things themselves.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

didn't they consult the author, jrr tolkien?

JuanValdez likes this.
  17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Why are people giving the showrunners the benefit of the doubt? In their commentary from The Battle of Winterfell, they've said that the Dothraki suicide charge was the end of the Dothraki. But the next episode, Greywurm says they lost half of the Dothraki.

That same strategy meeting, they mention the Greyjoy fleet. But in the commentary after Rhaegal gets 360 no scoped, the showrunners says Dany forgot about the Greyjoys.

The idiots keep contradicting themselves.

FranchiseBlade and Sajan like this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They do contradict themselves. I just wouldn't call them idiots for it. There are literally hundreds of thousands of things that happened in the series and thousands of details from just that season. I won't blame them for not keeping it all straight with all of the other responsibilities they have. I would agree they shouldn't have done that, but I think the mistake is easy enough to make given the scope of events that someone wouldn't have to be an idiot to make similar mistakes.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure I agree with all of it, but you make a good argument. Gefeliciteerd!

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Finally wrapped this up. I think the series really felt the loss of GRRM's storytelling when they passed him, and the entire Season 8 was rushed and as a result, anti-climactic. I just didn't give a F about the characters at the end. Meh? Meh.

I get why they did it- costs, actors wanting to do other things, etc, but it was a pretty poor cap to a great television show.

Anyway, I'm hoping that GRRM eventually finishes this series out. I can say that the show deviated big time from several key plot points in the books and I hope the overall story comes to a much more satisfying end. I won't spoil it for the one person out there who watched the show and wants to read the books and hasn't.