1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Nov 20, 2011.

1. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Why Winterfell is burning discussion as it relates to the book:

Sure, but why wouldn't he mention that one of their own bannermen had betrayed them and to avoid them on the trip north? In the show they were sent to lift the siege specifically by Robb's orders, at Lord Bolton's suggestion. Knowing what I know from the books, I think you are most likely right, but there is nothing in the show to support it for sure.

2. 713

713 Member

Can Anyone explain how winterfell was sacked? theons men left so who burnt it and if it was theons men why didnt the 500 men stop them and then where did they go ....

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This is what we know, based on what we saw in the episode:

Roose Bolton's b*stard son had the castle surrounded with 500 Dreadfort men. They presumably sent Theon's men Robb's message that any Ironborn who surrendered (with the exception of Theon) would be allowed to go home unharmed. That's why they turned on him. After knocking Theon out, they looked to be leaving the castle, with a number of the castle's smallfolk alive and standing around the courtyard.

When Bran and co. emerge from the crypts, the castle's been burned, there are corpses lying around the yard and there are no sign of the Ironborn or the Dreadfort troops. Maester Luwin urges them to leave in case "they come back". He doesn't specify who "they" are. That's all we know from the show.

2 people like this.
  4. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Doesn't feel that way to me, though its been a while since I read the first two books. It seems most of the changes are made to either fit the story within the constraints of a TV show or to streamline things for non book readers. Events play out the way we expect them to eventually.

Measter Luwin not mentioning anything may seem odd, but him saying what really happened would reveal too much for viewers and would lessen the cliffhanger.
    IIRC, Luwin does tell them who was responsible in the books, but you also get a Theon POV of what happened as things were unfolding.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

*shakes fist* If it only they had had 12 episodes!

*We could have gotten Reek

*We could have had the second shadow baby kill Courtnay Penrose at Storm's End, introducing the Edric Storm plotline for next season and setting it up so Stannis wasn't (knowingly) complicit in Renly's murder.

*Jon and Qhorin's storyline could have been handled properly with and epic chase and "is your sword sharp, Jon Snow?"

*Robb and Catelyn could have received the word about Bran and Rickon, and the Robb/Jeyne and Catelyn/Jaime wouldn't have been so poorly handled... Actually, that wasn't even a time constraint thing. HBO just kind of screwed that one up on their own.

(Meh, who am I kidding. They probably would have just spent two episodes following Ros)

Most of the season I tried to avoid b****ing about changes from the book (I still don't really care about Tyrion's chain or Hot Weasel Soup), but now that there's no GoT for the next ten months, I'm going to allow myself to be cranky.

6. val_modus

val_modus Member

;)
    well done

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Fantastic finale. Pycelle flipping the coin at Tyrion and pretty much said "keep the change you filthy animal!" was cold. Hand of the King is tough business. And Tywinn riding his horse into court was an epic power move.

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

Just curious... anyone that read the book, I WISH they could have done the part in the book when Vaerys surprises Tyrion and Shae in their room and Tyrion plays a game of whits with what happened to the other hands. Shae's line "I see now why they call it the Hand's Tower" was PURE GENIUS LMAO!!!!

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Season Finale numbers are great

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/upDoPAVExjg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. tallanvor

Chinese bootleg season 2 dvd cover. if only these images were real......

[​IMG]

13. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

^^^
    I love Thor Stark! I wonder how our Chinese friends would subtitle "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

14. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I was a bit annoyed at how they condensed Jon-Qhorin, as well as pretty much the entire Dany storyline. But for the most part it was a good season finale.

Oh, yeah, and I also thought the ending with Sam was kinda lame. Why exactly didn't they just kill him?

15. tallanvor

IT will be explained, or you could read the last few pages of this thread and find out.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I didn't understand the Jaqen Hghar part where he said he was dead. Was he dead this whole time and just a figment of Arya Starks imagination? Or will it be explained next season?

17. tallanvor

I think he just meant he won't be playing the Jaqen Hqhar character anymore, thus changing his face and presumably his name.

#1317 tallanvor, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm going to spoiler my response because I don't actually remember him making that comment in the show, though I may have not been paying close enough attention. I do remember it from the book.

I took it to mean that the identity of Jaqen Hghar no longer existed when he changed his face and was hence "dead".

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Hence being the faceless man.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They need to just film the rest of the damned thing now - the chick who plays sansa's going to be in menopausal by the time they get to the end.