1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Nov 20, 2011.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

She has done a great job but she was much much much younger in the books. I like the addition of her character in this series because she does have a bigger role later in the series.

2. crash5179

Misread your post oops.

I gree with you

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I definitely agree with this. It's not just that it is introduced sporadically, but it seems to completely change the tone of everything else. Perhaps it is the point, that the world has been devoid of magic for so long and now it is slowly creeping back and wouldn't that change the tone of the humanity? But I don't know, seems weird.

The shadow the weirdest so far. Dragons - ok, definitely one of our typical fantasy like creatures, but not outside the realm of possibility that dragons could be real creatures somewhere. The Wall scene with the zombie (for lack of a better word) is definitely more supernatural, but nothing like some chick birthing a shadow out of her vagina.

4. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I haven't read the books either.

But man, what a weird ending. I guess I should've expected magic to come along the way (especially when Bran's old mentor guy was talking about it) but for it pop out of that priestess's womb? :confused: Wildlings, fine, Dragons, fine, but wtf was that? I really hope it doesn't take away from the human drama of all of it (which is how the whole tv series really got on its feet).

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like the bits of supernatural that is thrown in. Its a fantasy story, and magic is part of the universe. Its just not an every-day, common thing like in other fantasy worlds.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, people worrying about the fantastical elements taking over the show should relax. It does seem a bit jolting since it comes out of nowhere, but even 5 books in it is the interaction and scheming of the people that takes front seat to everything else. I doubt the showmakers will change that.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I didn't have a problem with scene with Joffrey and the whores. I think it said something that a 16-year-old (presumably virgin) would rather watch see a woman beaten than have a threesome.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

It's not that i don't like them, or worry that they will take it over, it's the stark (no pun intended) contrast between the rest of the story and these moments, that just seem.... almost out of place. Maybe it's that they're unnecessary for the story to be as good as it is. Maybe it's just the juxtaposition of character building / movie magic that doesn't flow well to me, maybe it's the way they like to end on these elements. I don't know. Maybe it will be fine.

What I'm saying is, I don't know if it's the way the books are written, or the way HBO ends on these scenes, but I don't care for the flow so far in how they introduce the scenes we're talking about, and it makes me concerned in that I like the series a lot, and hope they don't screw it up.

9. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

pretty much the way the books are written

when danearys made the pire she came out with the dragons, naked but bald headed,

when davos witnessed the red priestess birth the shadow thats really the only description there was. "a shadow"

perhaps the frustration is, "what is the shadow going to do?"

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It wasn't a bad scene, but considering how much content they have to cut and how many scenes are condensed into cliff notes versions, it was a waste of valuable screen time that could have been used on something more interesting and important to the story. There is so much content to draw from the book that they shouldn't need to film long "filler" scenes that give redundant information such as reminding us that Joffrey is evil... I would much prefer it if the created scenes restricted themselves to filling in information that might be internal monologue in the books, or scenes that are just too expensive to film like some of the battles. There is so much brilliant writing in the books that they don't really need to try and reinvent the wheel with their own scenes.

11. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So far I think they have done an excellent job of translating the books to screen. Where they've changed the story, I can usually see the reason for it. On a related note, I saw Hunger Games this weekend and I was very impressed. That was probably the best translation of book to movie that I've ever seen and the first time that, to my mind, the movie surpassed the book in some ways.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Watching the series makes me appreciate the challenge of adapting the books to screen. A Song of Ice and Fire has so many story lines following various characters at various locations. It is hard to jump back and forth between everything without having the narrative become excessively fragmented. You can go an entire episode without seeing an important characters like Jon Snow, Theon, or Daenarys.

Random thought: I don't think the writers of the series like crossbows very much.

Also, my brother, who didn't read the books, heard the surname of Xaro Xhoan Daxos as "Dark Sauce."

#692 Carl Herrera, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Fast fowarded the gay scene last week..
    Fast forwarded the S&M, leg amputation and torture scenes this week. I'm down to about 30 minutes.

let me know if I miss some crucial dialog.

14. Carl Herrera

Somebody's future wife.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Nope, I just choose my own reality.

Like the guy over in the chainsaw hangout thread, you can spend some of your limited time in the perception of violence or not; it's your choice.

It makes me sad that human beings even have that capacity. I do enjoy the politics in the show. Jeoffry, like Caligula embodies the danger of absolute power.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When he took out the giant phallac stick . . . .
    How many people were totally thinking he was going to make her do something totally different with it . . . besides hit her with it.

When he pulled out the big stick . . I was uh oh. . . SEVEN all over again
    [and I am not talking about THE SEVEN!!]

Rocket River

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I read the books, and I still heard "Dog Sauce."

I agree with the others that have said that the episodes feel short.

18. crash5179

I thoulght the best scene outside of a Tyrion scene was the one that showed Arya sleeping in the mud and rain saying her prayer.

With the way HBO is combining scenes from the book in season 2 I'm wondering if they are going to combine some specific scenes at Harrenhall.

I'm guessing that Arya will not be the cup bearer for Roose Bolton scince she is now the cup bearer for Tywin. I'm guessing that we will not see Roose Bolton at all this season. I suspect we will hear of Roose Bolton but I'm thinking we will see Ramsey Bolton this season and Roose Bolton next season. I don't think this will not effect the story much if any but I am preparing myself now.

19. Carl Herrera

We already saw Roose this episode. He was talking with Robb.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Roose Bolton was giving Robb the field report briefing after the battle, suggesting they flay prisoners