1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Hey Commodore, you okay with Dinklage as Tyrion yet? If he doesn't get an Emmy nomination, there should be an investigation.

2. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I wish they hadn't cut some of the classic lines though. Like in the books Joff cuts the butcher boy and says he won't hurt him... much, but they cut Arya saying "She didn't hurt you... much." after the wolf attack.

and they cut Ned telling Robert, "Do it yourself then, Robert. At least have the courage to do it yourself" when discussing killing Lady, which goes back to the whole the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword line.

Bran's dream was also cut, but I suspect it may be better for him to discuss his dream with others rather than actually see it.

3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Best. Gif. Ever.

[​IMG]

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Agreed. And there's simply no way to find physical match for everyone. For example,
    I's pretty sure there's no near 8' tall actors out there to play Gregor Clegane.

Seems to be just a matter of cramming a lot of material into 10 hours. They might have needed twice as many episodes to fit all the stuff in the books in.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The actor they got for Gregor IS pretty huge though. In some early stills, they put him on a slightly smaller horse to force the perspective that his feet almost touch the ground.

http://www.conanstevens.com/

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

And even he is a whole foot shorter than the character. It's like replacing a 7'6'' center with a 6'6'' center. :)

7. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

They said the actor playing the Hound is 6'6 and the Mountain is 7' We get to see them both
    at the tournament for the Hand, sometime around episode 4 I would guess

I think next episode will introduce
    Renly, Varys, and Littlefinger along with all the major characters at the Wall.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Member

Well, I'm hooked. Hopefully this series passes the time nicely until Spartacus returns! If you guys don't mind, please spoiler-tag anything related to the books for those of us who haven't (and have no intention to) read them. I'm already curious about this freaking giant you guys are talking about.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

It's all about perspective. A good portion of actors are slim and short.

I'm still disappointed that they couldn't find a taller Payne. Or at least put some bloody lifts in his shoes.

10. Commodore

Commodore Member

yeah he's great, I read somewhere that he redid some of his lines in a studio, you can tell, the accent is much improved from the preview clips

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

How about this guy?

[​IMG]

12. Commodore

Commodore Member

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:645369" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=vid%3D645369%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A645369" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div style="margin:0px;padding:4px;width:500px;text-align:center;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.mtv.com/ontv/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">MTV Shows</a></div>

13. The Real Shady

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I'll just heap a little more praise on the series. A day later, and I'm even more excited about the last episode has it's had time to sink in. I'm excited in two ways.

One way is that I can't wait to see how the series handles more of the plot twists and cliff hangers that I know about from having read and now re-read (audio books on the second go round) the series.

The other way is almost like I've no idea about what's going to happen next and I'm excited to watch and see.

I don't know how the two types of excitement are possible at the same time but that's how I feel. It's a credit to the show.

I think the acting has been superb, but it has to be in order not to be completely over shadowed by the amazing sets, scenery, and costuming of the series. It's been extremely impressive in each of the varied settings, and at all the right times it's been dreary, beautiful, forbidding, awe inspiring, gritty, and seemingly realistic which is hard for a fantasy series to do.

I will also say that I love the character of Arya

In the books, I kind of loved her but kind of hated her because that "quiet as a mouse" "silent as a shadow" stuff she kept telling herself annoyed the hell out of me. As the books went on, and she evolved, my annoyance lessened, and I liked her character even more. I already like her performance so much the series that I doubt I'll even be phased by her Syrio inspired similes.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Great series so far!

Tyrion seems like he may actually be a decent guy even if he is a dwarf and a Lannister. With out having read the books I'm assuming he and Jon become close.

Cat is a B**** but the Queen is so much worse. I kept wanting Ned to B**** slap her when she was lobying for killing the dire wolf.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

What do you have against dwarves?

1 person likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Member

killing a wolf after it attacked a human is not exactly unheard of

Even if it wasn't the same wolf, they are wild animals.

18. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

He's my favorite character so far.

I loved the wolf tearing the assassin's throat out. The filth and gore of this show is awesome, defiantly getting off to a faster start than Boardwalk.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Member

er... uh nothing... yeah thats right.... there great!

20. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

HA HA! That's all sorts of messed up...