1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 17, 2011.

1. No Worries

No Worries Member

Really? There were quite a few naked women about.

2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member

I liked the second episode much better than the first. It seemed like they were able to spend more time on each scene to develop the characters more.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Great episode with some fantastic character development. Lots of Tyrion...and that's always a good thing. It's still early, but I liked the Hound's few lines.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

I agree about this episode being better than the first. Michelle Fairley is doing a good job as Cait Stark. Grieving, emotional mother is a character I would usually find unappealing to watch, but her performance doesn't come off that way. The scenes the writers added that are not from the book are fitting in very well too.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I only say that because I expect a certain level of TnA when it comes to Fantasy and HBO; **** there is TnA on channels and shows that shouldn't have TnA.

Never read the books series so when everybody was salivating anticipating a release of a fantasy series, I was expecting a lord of the Rings type battle epic; I didn't get that, at least not in the first episode. Expecting a battle epic but instead getting a character drama that I still found intriguing I think is big.

6. aznhobo1

aznhobo1 Member

You gotta change your expectations because it's not a fantasy series in the sense of LOTR or dungeons and goblins and wizards. You're right it is primarily a character drama.I think of it as "The Wire" set in medieval times with some of the aspects you're expecting.

7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Looking forward to next week and seeing something new. Saw the first two eps and a sneak preview (10 minutes of random clips) for the 3rd episode. But I did enjoy watching it a 2nd time. The part with Lady = I have a sad.

What'd you guys think of the Summer/Throat-ripping scene? Loved it!

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The second episode was better than the first. I liked the first, but felt like this episode helped developed the characters and add some layers of depth to them.

If I was going to be nitpicky I would say the Hound doesn't come off as scary in this series as I feel he was in the book. He doesn't do a bad job in the series by any means, but he just isn't quite as intimidating as he seemed to me in the books.

Great job with the would be assassin, and Summer's rescue. I'm really very pleased with the series thus far, and can't wait until the next episode.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Great 2nd episode. I had no issues to speak of on this one. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Throat ripping scene was outstanding.

I love watching this series with my wife, who hasn't read the books. She hates Cersei SO MUCH already, and that was with their attempt to humanize her with her story of her first child that died.

This next bit might be a bit spoilery, so I'll tag it.
    So far I haven't had any complaints about the actress that plays Daenerys...but she hasn't been asked to do much yet. Down the line she is going to have to show some serious internal fortitude and fire...and maybe even a little madness. I hope she is up to the task.

Arya might turn out to be my favorite on the TV series. The actress is doing a great job. The scene when Jon gave her Needle was really touching.

Oh yeah, my wife hates Cat too for the way she was treating Jon. I must admit she is coming off a lot more b****y in this series than I remember in the books. Not horribly so, but she seemed to be a bit more graceful in my head while reading than she has been in the series.

10. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I actually think they're trying to make her LESS of a C-word in the show. As evidenced by the deduction of the line "It should have been you!" to Jon when he came to say goodbye to Bran.

11. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member

Arya was one of my favorite characters from the books and so far they've done a great job with her in the series. I'm really looking forward to seeing future seasons with her.

I agree, she just seems like a bitter old woman so far.

12. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

I liked the second episode better, as well. I also feel like the Hound is not quite scary/harsh enough yet. He just seems like a half-burned regular guy. That is the whole fun of his interactions with Sansa and Arya.

The wife hasn't read the books and she has asked, "so all of the Lannisters are just evil?" This came after Joffrey was being a little b**** to the butcher boy. I told her not quite.

The Arya actress is doing a great job. I always liked her in the books, though, especially after King's Landing.

13. DCkid

DCkid Member

Love everything with the wolves so far. Wish they showed Ghost though.

Catelyn was just as hateful toward Jon in the books. It's pretty much necessary, since it makes it more believable that Jon would be willing to go to the wall.

Some of my favorite parts of the books are the interactions between two of the main characters. The Tyrion/Jon interactions have been great so far. As well as treatment of Joffrey by Tyrion. Come to think of it, maybe it's just every scene with Tyrion. :grin:

Other interaction I'm looking forward to.
    Sandor and Sansa. I read somewhere that they may have cut out a lot of this, which would be a shame. Those were really the best Sansa parts in the books (up to the point I've read), and definitely the most important in developing the hound's character IMO.

I agree though, Sansa is supposed to be terrified of him (at least in the beginning), and that really didn't happen yet.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

My only real nitpick would be the lack of Ghost thus far.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm surprised most liked the second episode more than the first. This was a good hour of television but the first episode was still better to me.

Cat hating Snow is kind of weird. I get that he is the product of an affair that Ned had at war but her loving nature with everyone makes it hard for me to believe she wouldn't just except Snow or at least tolerate him.

Snow's Dire Wolf didn't travel with him to the Wall?

Khal was definitely getting it in.

Arya = Beast

16. foo82

foo82 Member

I think part of it is Ned's fault. She is as much in the dark regarding Jon as Jon is. He did not tell her anything about his mother. Her reaction is completely normal. If your wife/husband cheated on you and brought back a child and was completely mum about the situation, I don't think you would view that child in a positive light.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, no Ghost was weird. IIRC, the book shows him ranging out to hunt during the ride; that may be reflecting that.

Cat is nobility and an uppity biotch. Get used to it.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Speaking of nitpicky stuff.... isn't King Robert supposed to be 6'6''? Not sure if Mark Addy is what I am expecting. I mean, Robert is supposed to be a former warrior gone fat, Mark Addy just looks like a fat guy.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It was a very good episode, and considering some of the critics said this was by far the worst one, that bodes well for the future since episodes 5 and 6 are supposedly the best of the six preview episodes the critics were sent.

Ghost was seen briefly in the wide shot of Jon and Tyrion at the camp, but I would have liked it if he was seen more.

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Yes, but I'd rather have a good actor that doesn't quite physically match, than a perfect visual matching poor actor. Of course getting both would be ideal, but I suspect there aren't many actors who would fit that bill. I think strictly acting wise Addy has done a great job capturing Robert's character.