1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game of Thrones] Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Realjad

Realjad Member

Spartacus is such an awesome show

2. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Yep, I agree.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Really? I thought the sex scenes were perfect. Not too much, just enough to allude to what was going on. I think that movies and shows (like Spartacus and True Blood) tend to show too much sex detail to cater to the women and manboys. I'm glad it's toned down in AGOT (so far).

4. crash5179

crash5179 Member

I loved the premier. I never read the book but looks like it's going to be another great series by HBO. A couple of things I am unclear of that maybe someone that has read the book can clear up for me...

Ned Stark's wife is dead is dead? Lady Catelyn is Ned's second wife? How is Ned's son considered a bastered? Why can't Lady Catelyn and Ned's family go with Ned to King's Landing?

OK that's more than 2 questions. :)

5. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member

Catelyn is his first wife, he went off on a trip and came back with a son, which is why she hates Jon so much, she considers him a constant reminder that Ned had an affair.

It's been a while since I read the books, but I thought she did, I could be remembering wrong.

#25 DrLudicrous, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  6. DCkid

DCkid Member

No, Ned Stark's sister (Lyanna) is dead. She was supposed to be wed to the current King (Robert) before she died. Catelyn is Ned's first and only wife.

You'll find out more about Jon (the b*stard) in the next episode.

Not sure about the last question. It seems like the entire family could go I suppose. Maybe they just need a presence at Winterfell to keep things running?

I guess I'll "spoiler" everything just in case. I mean, I think it's okay in this thread to answer questions that brand new viewers to the series may have missed in an episode, or things that were just not expounded on in certain scenes. Just got to be careful not to give away anything that will probably be explained/revealed in future episodes.

#26 DCkid, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I think people just can't handle Peter Dinklage sex scenes.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

That must have been a long ass trip.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Most campaigns/wars were.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to spoiler this because I'm not entirely sure of the protocol with mentioning changes from the book to the television show. Some of the changes might inform on later events, so I'll spoiler to be safe.

The change on the Drogo/Daenerys sex scene was interesting. I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind that. They went to the trouble having the repeated "No" bit in there, but completely took out the part where Drogo looks as if he isn't a total savage when he slowly warms her up until she is ready for and wants the sex. I remember being a little curious about that in the books too because Drogo never really shows that side of himself again, from what I remember.

Overall I was pretty impressed with the first episode and it even got some loud laughs out of me, which I wasn't expecting. The interplay between Eddard and Robert was great. I'd love for them to focus as much on that relationship as they can, but the reality is they really need to develop the children or else future seasons are going to feel stale.

You saw a little bit of how the breakneck pace is going to hurt the show, however. I mean, by the time Bran was pushed out the window, all we had gotten out of him was that he has a smile that can charm his mother, he wants his father's approval (beheading scene at the beginning), and he likes to climb. You barely got a sense of the character before the push, so it was hard to have a real emotional impact (though I suppose the importance of that scene is less about feeling bad for Bran and more about being mortified by what Jamie was willing to do). Anyway, I'm rambling. Loved the episode, overall.

What were some other changes from the book other than my spoiler above? I didn't catch any others that I can remember.

11. DCkid

DCkid Member

Some other changes

Theon kicking Will's head. Very small change, but leaving it out doesn't give the viewer as bad of a feeling about Theon as the readers got. That may have been by design.

I don't remember exactly what happened in the book, but the biggest thing missing that people seem to be complaining about is the exchanges/sparring between Joffrey, Tommen, Bran, Robb, The Hound. I really think that should have been left in. Would have given Bran a bit screen time and dialogue before the accident, and it would have helped introduce Sandor, who they focused on with his armor, but didn't explain who he was (unless I missed it).

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The looks of the sets were amazing. It was incredible. The acting was all pretty good. It might have been nice to have Rob say a few lines in the episode though.

I agree about keeping in at least a glimpse of the interaction between Rob, Joff, Bran, Tommen. It seems like it was kind of a quick way to elaborate on each of the characters in a very short scene.

But that's really nitpicking, especially since I haven't seen but one episode.

I'm really impressed.

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Yeah, I think this was by design so it is more of a shock when he does what he does in the next book.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I did pick up on the head kick thing, but it was such a small detail I didn't remember it after the fact. I agree on the exchange between the kids, though. They may find a way to shoehorn that in to a different scene in the next episode.

15. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

If I had never read the books I would have called that first episode weak. Too many characters in one show, at this point as a standalone I don't care for anyone. IT should have been a two hour episode.....terrible start IMO.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Most television pilots suck and most have a crapload of exposition to weather, what did you expect?

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

btw, I didn't think this sucked at all. This was an above average pilot episode. Revered shows like The Wire and The Sopranos had very, very weak first episodes. Give it time.

18. Duncan McDonuts

Never read the books, and I thought the pilot was meh. The cold open barely had any resolution to it, too many names to the faces. Cliffhanger was kinda shocking but he pushes a kid out the window, so what?

This isn't meant to diminish the series at all. I can tell from all the hype that the series will get better, but my take on it is so you guys can get the perspective of a casual viewer. I wasn't that impressed.

19. TheresTheDagger

Very true. Deadwood's first episode was horrible and I almost didn't continue on. But I am so glad I stuck with it.

I thought for an opening show, it did very well....especially the opening scene. You can't deny that was an attention grabber.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

He pushes the kid out of the window after the kid sees him banging his twin sister...