1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire Thread (WITH SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, May 15, 2012.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea .. . the 10 shows just does not seem to be enough.

I was thinking . . .wish they would have stolen the WebComic Idea
    from HEROES. Kind of a cool way to put background info and things
    they did not have time for in the show

Rocket River

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Took me about 9 months but I just finished reading the series. Worth it, but not worth it when even hopeful estimates for Winds of Winter are guessing 2014. They should do Dunk and Egg webisodes!

Glad to hear the Reeds are in, as I'm hoping they hit a home run with Meera like they did with Jeyne Westerling (or whoever that is).

Agree with disliking character changes. Also making Loras a wuss, Stannis impulsive, and Asha/Yarra not a babe.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am wondering how the Sand Snakes will look.

Rocket River

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

They did :confused: :confused:

5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

yeah he was there, but easy to miss. Even though it was his brother who was actually wearing Renly's armor in the books, but not having introduced him or even cast him at this point, changing it to Loras made sense.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I saw Larus but was he in Renly's armor? I don't recall seeing the stag which was the symbol of house Baratheon which Renly wore. This was why stories of Renly's ghost had spread around. Soldiers thought Larus was the ghost of Renly.

In the episode it appeared to me that Larus was wearing the same armor as the Lanisters.

7. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

They showed him fighting in the armor around the time Tyrion was blacking out from being wounded.

8. crash5179

Ok cool. I guess I missed it.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

There's a brief moment in the fighting where you can make out stag antlers on Loras' helm. That's about it. When he comes into the great hall, he has cloth covering the front of his armor so you can't see any sigil.

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I'm glad they made the Lannister victory feel kind of epic and neat even though you kind of root against them.

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I posted this elsewhere but Martin told HBO the outline of the conclusion so they can continue if he dies but...

at his writing pace it's plausible the HBO series might finish before he does. lol.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

yes, but the show compacts the books a bunch. If they want/need to drag it out longer they can just include more of the books content and not compress it as much, which would give Martin more time. One problem is that the kid actors are going to start aging up. Storm of Swords is already confirmed to be 2 seasons long. How old will the actors playing Bran, Sansa, Arya and company be by the time we get to the end?

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I've also read that while the show producers would continue on in the event of his untimely death, contrary to what's been said here before, he wouldn't want another writer finishing his books for him a la Robert Jordan.

15. rhadamanthus

I have read as much too. I forget where though. Probably wikipedia.

16. rhadamanthus

Personally, I'd prefer it if they were older. If I wanted to see kids save the world I'd watch Harry Potter. (and I dislike Harry Potter)

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I believe he gave them a road map of where the story was going to end more so they could plan on which characters were absolutely essential to cast and which could be cut, and in case the show surpassed the books. But that doesn't necessarily preclude Martin from blocking the finish of the books by anyone else if he were to die.

18. rhadamanthus

From wiki:

19. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

What a morbid thought. He'd knock a year or two off the ETA if he chilled out on describing how lush every lord's doublet was.

Besides the tragedy of his death, it'd be horrible to watch GRRM's endgame through the distorted vision of HBO's time/budget/corner cutting bigwigs.

20. crash5179

I read where originally GRRM intended to age the Stark kids by 5 years prior to the last book. I know HBO aged them 3 years at the beginning of the series. I have no problem with the Kids being older when the series ends.