1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire Thread (WITH SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dharocks, May 15, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It wasn't all the spoiler tags that was polluting the other thread anyway (at least they were relivent to the series), it was all the whinning by people like moestavern about the spoilers that was polluting the other thread. It came to a head though when the jackass known as true beaner dumped the biggest spoiler in the whole damn series in the thread with no spoiler tags in a blatant attempt to ruin the story for all those who had never read the books. At this point it is just easier I guess to start a spoiler free thread. Of course the same poster that can't resist clicking into the spoiler tags is probably clicking into this thread but at this point, who cares.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I think they'll insert the Reeds later on, as with Ramsay.

3. crash5179

It just seems imparitive to me so they can split up Bran and Rickon. I'm guessing they'll introduce them in the next season.

4. Xerobull

Agreed.

I think that the cast is too huge and they're saving time/money/complexity by spreading out introducing later players. I do think that omitting Ramsay was a bad idea, though. Guy is bad, bad news and alluding to him skinning the kids would have really driven that home.

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

6. crash5179

I don't see how they can do SoS with out him. I wonder if they will show him trying to light Lord Tully's funaral pyer. I think that might be a bit of a funny seen.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kind of irritated with how they did the dragonglass find. Just stumbling on something that (or so it seems) will prove to be the achilles heel for defeating the white walkers/wights is not cool. The direwolves play such an important role in the novels, it was fitting that Ghost lead Jon to them. Failing that, they should have at LEAST had Ghost lead the remaining guys to that spot and they could have just decided that was as good a spot as any to dig their latrine. Instead it comes off as a total Deus Ex Machina (or it will as soon as non-book readers find out the significance of the obsidian).

8. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I will also say that I am digging the changes they have made to Jeyne Westerling's character. At first I didn't understand, and even thought there was a good chance that Talisa was just lying about her name and background and was in fact Jeyne after all. After this last episode I don't think that is the case with her in depth description of the slave culture across the sea.

But while at first the changes to her character seemed unnecessary, I am digging her character a great deal more in the TV show than I ever did in the books. In fact, she was a great big blank in the books, from what I remember. Which was unfortunate since she was the reason the Red Wedding happened, so we need to believe that Robb is hopelessly in love with her. I'm buying that much more in just a little bit of screen time than I did in the books.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I must've missed something. We knew Alayaya wouldn't be the w**** Cersei found after they brought Shae into King's Landing from the start. But I'm not sure exactly of why she though Ros was Tyrion's w****. She mentioned something about her having a "Lannister lion necklace" and that giving her away. But I don't remember anything about Ros having something like that. Does anybody else?

EDIT: I looked on another forum and apparently Tyrion gave her a chain early in season 1 after he returned from the wall and she's been wearing it ever since. I must not have noticed.

#29 Cannonball, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012
  10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

They talk about at the end of the Inside the Episode, but what you said in the edit is correct

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2u.swf?vid=1257381"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Episode 18 - Inside the Episode &copyShareURL=http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true%26vid=1257381%26filter=game-of-thrones%26view=null"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2u.swf?vid=1257381" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Episode 18 - Inside the Episode &copyShareURL=http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true%26vid=1257381%26filter=game-of-thrones%26view=null" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object><br><div><a title="Episode 18 - Inside the Episode " href="http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?view=grid&vid=1257381&autoplay=true">Episode 18 - Inside the Episode </a></div>

11. crash5179

Just curious if Harwin or the lightning lord will be written out of next season. For some reason I think they will have the Hound capture Arya early on and skip all of the stuff with Baric Dondarrion.

I love the relationship between Arya and Tywin that was written into this season but I hate that they have written out the fact that Arya has actually killed multiple times by now including the guard at Harrenhall when her, Gendey and Hot Pie escaped.

12. Xerobull

You think they'll skip Baric? He's the leader of the BWB and has been resurrected a few times by Thoros of Myr. They've made a point of mentioning the BWB a few times in the Arya scenes which leads me to believe that the show will have scenes with them in the future. More importantly, establishing the resurrection by Thoros is very important when it comes to Cat's future in the show. And further, Jaime and Brienne are captured by BWB and UnCat. I think it would be folly to just skip it all.

The timing of Arya getting captured seems pretty crucial as well. I guess they could write it different but it would cause compounded issues in the future.

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I think they could without too much difficulty - provided your theory in the "2012 what are you reading thread" is correct about ICE and FIRE.

14. Cannonball

I agree. I think they need to show Beric and Thoros if only to make what happens to Cat not appear random, and I don't see them changing that part.

Plus, I'm not sure the Hound capturing her early would work timewise. A lot of time is wasted with Arya trying to find Riverrun on her own, then being caught by the brotherhood, being brought to Lord Beric, them deciding to ransom her, and then the Hound kidnapping her. If you skip straight to the hound kidnapping her, it'd seem like they'd get to Riverrun/Cat/Robb long before the Red Wedding takes place. They might need all the other stuff in order to delay Arya from reaching her family until after the RW.

Arya is about to escape Harrenhal. The RW will likely be the climax of Season 3. I just don't seem them stretching Arya/Hound looking for Cat/Robb out for an entire season.

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The Reeds, The Blackfish, and Beric are in.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/game-of-throne-season-3-cast/

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I don't see Ramsey Snow. Weird considering they have already mentioned him in season 2.

So who else was disappointed they didn't use the chain in the last episode? I thought having all the ships pushed up against the chain would look pretty cool.

17. Cannonball

Yeah, the 2 big things missing were 1) the chain and 2) people seeing/believing that Renly's ghost was leading the Tyrell's.

18. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I read somewhere that someone came up with the theory that Dagmer is actually Ramsey Snow. They have kind of given some of Reek's stuff to Dagmer anyway (like the idea of killing the innocent kids and claiming they are the Stark children). They may just spring on us later that it was Ramsey all along and he was faking it.

Although, I can't come up with any good reason why Roose Bolton's b*stard would be in Pyke. But it would be interesting.

19. Cannonball

I thought of the same thing and had the same reason for dismissing it.

20. crash5179

Great news. The Reeds are too important to the story IMO to just write them out. I'm wondering if the fall of Winterfell will be saved for the start of season 3 since they have not introduced Ramsey Bolton yet.

I loved the last episode. I did not think they would slice off Tyrions nose. I think they should have shown Lauras Tyrell in Renley's armor (with the stag). While the exploding ships were cool I would have preferred seeing them trapped by Tyrions chain first.

I have not liked how HBO has handled the John Snow or Danarys story arcs. They have not been awful but they seemed to have changed some key elements of their basic Charecters.

Moving forward I wonder if HBO will actually allow Jamie's hand to be cut off? It seemed like an integral part of the storie in the book.

Overall I thought season 1 was much more true to the book but all of the major components of the story are still in place.