1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game Observations from Up Close

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by F.D. Khan, Nov 17, 2000.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

About the Cat,

I know there are other threads about this, but its just the intro so Police relax.

We arent the only ones frustrated with his inability or unwillingness to pass on fast breaks. I was at the game last night and had great seats 2 rows behind the bench. I heard everything! There was this play that Cuttino tried to take it to the hole and didnt pass to a wide open Hakeem, Rudy yelled "God Da#&*& Cuttino!" Then in the time out Rudy said "Everyone look at Cuttino and tell him what to do when a fu%&ing man is open, Pass the damn ball!" It was great and I got to talk to Walt and he said his hip/groin was feeling better and that he'd probably suit up for the Phoenix game.

Other Game Notes: Rudy is constantly talking to the young guys on the court.
    Rudy also sounds like he smokes about a pack before every game and one at halftime too. He always carries around a cup with athletic tape with I think Alcohol in there..because he popped some mints before the end. Francis, MO, Kenny and Cuttino are constantly getting instructions during the game. Francis talks a lot while he's playing, tries to get in the other point guards head. It was Great watching Baron Davis against Francis. In a few years that will be a showdown of some of the best points in the game if it isn't already.
    I love Hakeem and he did get 8 rebounds and 11 points, but when he plays defense now days and when he gets rebounds, he never seems to leave the ground. He doesn't jump in the air for blocks or rebounds, he just positions himself. There are times in which he doesnt even jump for blocks just tries to reach for them. I think he's scared about getting injured, and thats limited his defense and rebounding ability. That also may be why we see the dream shake but not the jump hook in the lane.
    During Timeouts Hakeem is just not as vocal as he used to be. He doesn't even sit in the middle anymore. I feel sorry for him at times, because I know he wants to take the last shots and be very involved. His shooting percentage is great this year and he has ample opportunities in the post and was running circles around PJ Brown.
    Collier looked great, he sets some hard screens and Olajuwon is screening more and better than I have ever seen him do. One time he caught Baron davis with an elbow to the noggin. Collier Knows how to position himself and is very wide, he was giving Elden Campbell, who was complaining to the refs, fits.
    Now the sad part, Mo Taylor's defense is horrendous along with his rebounds. He just never is in the post battling for rebounds. I would imagine he would get more just standing there, I saw several that the grabbed but he just couldnt handle. Kenny Thomas on the other hand can rebound well, but has his elbow on every man he guards and then complains when he gets called for it.
    Offensively, Kenny has the same move and it gets blocked a lot, or he loses it in mid air or air balls it because he thinks he'll be blocked. Offensively, Mo is light years ahead of KT.
    The Absolute most frustrating thing was the shot clock melt downs. We started a chant counting down the shot clock to help them out because it seems they were lost and weren't communicating well. I think we even saved them once or twice with our chants.
    Rudy Yelled out is that Barkley or Cuttino out there one time to Larry Smith, because he was just taking sooo much time off the clock.

Anyway, great game, great experience and the best thing about these years is the prices for good seats. I know for a fact that kids would buy the $10 seats and come down the Lower prom middle area...and hey why not?

Another side note, Bill Worrell and Calvin Murphy don't seem to like each other much off of the Camera...they didnt talk for ten minutes next to each other till the camera came on.

Who Cares if we don't sell out anymore, at least we know the people at the games aren't sellouts when things aren't peachy so I don't want to see their little social, corporate seats garbage anyway.

ROCKETS!

------------------

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Great post, FD Khan. I think I'm going to try that now (moving to the middle with my $10 tickets).

3. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Thanks for the insight. It's good to know that Cuttino is hearing it from the coach and probably teammates as well. A defender should never have a play against a 3 on 1 fast break.

------------------
    "We end up with Francis/Mobley isolations very often. More often, I'd say, then other teams." -- jamcracker

4. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

F.D., best post I've read in awhile. Thanks for sharing. I hope that some of these guys who think that whenever the players don't execute fundamentals, it's Rudy's fault will pay attention. That was too funny that Rudy told everyone to look at Cat and tell him what to do when he has an open man.

------------------

5. MManal

MManal Member

"Offensively, Kenny has the same move and it gets blocked a lot, or he loses it in mid air or air balls it because he thinks he'll be blocked. Offensively, Mo is light years ahead of KT."

Im so glad that someone pointed this out. Thank you F.D. It gets really annoying listening to people talk about how good a season KT is having when he really isnt. He did look very good on the glass last night, but the guy simply CANNOT finish on offense. My best guess as to why this is the case is that he is just too short for the PF spot at 6-7. When you dont have the necessary height to play the 4 spot, you had better have something else ie extraordinary explosion or really long arms to make up for it. Whenever KT makes that little spin move to the basket, I start cursing at the television set b/c that is a wasted offensive set. Its not even funny how much better Mo Taylor is at the offensive end than Kenny "I cant finish" Thomas.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by MManal (edited November 17, 2000).]

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember hearing sometime last year about how Rudy drinks one of the large soft drinks from the concession stands for each quarter. I can't remember how many ounces are in each one of those cups, but one a quarter has got to have him pretty hopped up by the end of the game. I bet he has trouble sleeping at night...

------------------
    She hates testicles, thus limiting the men she can admire to Democratic
    candidates for president.
    -- John Greenway, "The American Tradition", on feminist
    Elizabeth Gould Davis