1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game 4 Biggest choke job in Astros History?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by texanskan, Oct 14, 2015.

1. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Game 4 made this series loss harder to take. The Astros outplayed the Royals most of this series and could have easily swept them. Tough series like this can either make a club tougher and spring board them into something better or it could be hard to recover from.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If such a thing actually existed... theres no doubt that analytics would be all over it.

Luckily, it doesn't.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

They have a bright future or they are the next Oilers.

4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

"Analytics" don't explain everything. These type of losses can be hard to come back from. Hope it motivates them to go further though. We'll see how resilient this organization is after this.

5. Buck Turgidson

Lol, Bill James himself said many years ago that there are unquantifiables in baseball (just like life) that will always be just that. Chemistry, clutchness, leadership, "hotness", etc.... He's a smart enough man to know not to dismiss things he can't understand.

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Correct answer is "no", that would be Game 5 in 1980 at the Dome, and it was to get to the World Series.

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Definitely the biggest choke in my time watching since the late 80s. The series loss to the Padres and Kevin Brown was more painful to me because I expected so much out of that team.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Not even in the same hemisphere. Seriously.

9. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

No, If this astros team was experienced with being in the playoffs already with a track record then yeah it would rank up towards top 10 but I can think of at least 10-20 crushing houston sports defeats before this one.

Now if something similar happens in the coming years having gained the experience of a crushing defeat similar to what happened to the Rockets versus Blazers a couple years ago then there will be no excuse in my opinion. It obviously feels this way now cuz the feeling sux and the national media wants to make a stinker out of it but even the know the obvious which is the Astros were an inexperienced team that was still learning how to close the deal on the Royals and didn't know how

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Nick, he just called you a dope ya dope.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Biggest choke, had to be 1998 and Sterling Hitchcock. That was such a pathetic hitting performance by a loaded team.

I always felt they choked game six in 1986 too though. Knepper throwing a shut out for 8 innings with Mike Scott ready to pitch game seven. Fell the hell apart in the ninth. Still bugs the hell out of me to this day.

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I just heard Keuchel post game. He said they didn't have that "IT Factor" to close out the Royals. I agree. He nailed it. Next year tho I bet will be a different story if/when the opportunity presents itself again =)

13. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

14. VanityHalfBlack

I feel bad for mmp. From what I heard that place was the place to be until the choke happened. Houston was going to be an orgy if they'd have close out game 4.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

MMP is gonna be the place to be for the next decade. If people want to call it a choke than fine, but I don't consider it anything more than a tough loss exposing a bullpen weakness that we already knew about.

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I imagine Rangers fans are pissed today also - they blew a 2-0 series lead on the road and a game 5 lead.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not the franchise's biggest choke/fail, but a choke/fail nonetheless.

18. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Not as bad as having 3 straight errors and handing the game over when you had the momentum.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But that was a 3-2 lead, not 6-2. And it was on the road. Not saying the Rangers didn't choke, but anything could've happened even had they avoided making those errors. The Blue Jays only needed one run to tie the game.

20. VanityHalfBlack

Damn man, we could have had a Texas showdown! Damn you Greg Abbott!!!