1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game 2 = MUST win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Evil Empire, Apr 19, 2009.

1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

The Rockets have to be prepared. I'm expecting either the fronting to begin from the start, or an immediate double team on Yao as soon as he touches the ball, or both.

I hope Adelman has other go-to options other than getting Yao the ball. Maybe Artest or Scola on the opposite block. Next game is a perfect opportunity for other players to have big nights. After Yao's dominance, the Blazers will probably zero in on him from the start.

Of course, if the Blazers continue to defend Yao with one defender with no fronting, keep going to him.

2. battousai

battousai Member

The next game will determine who is the better coach. Will AD be drawing some plans for Yao and Brooks?

We know for sure Blazers are going to front Yao and putting on a defense for Brooks. The playoffs is all about adjustment from one game into another.

Can blazers make that adjustments against us? i am sure as our pass 82 games has said one thing - front Yao will stop Rockets and our offense and defense will collaspe.

However, now with deke playing (AD saving him til playoffs) changes the defense. We can substain our defense much better with deke in lineup than Hayes.

Our offense would be a problem, I don't foresee AB to put up these kind of great offense every game. Kowry wasn't playing much, so I expect him to showup and say I can do it too.

My only concern is that we don't get cocky like the series against the Mavs when we were up 2-0.

When they front Yao, what would we do?

My theory would be we need to go to scola. when the defense fronting Yao it creates a mismatch on scola. Joel or oldgen wouldn't be able to front Yao. That leaves lame-ma on Yao. Which by reverse Yao can either lock him up too or get to a better position. Lame-ma couldn't go and help out the defense on Scola on the weakside and scola has the ability to finsih off around Joel.

If scola gets doubled then he can pass it to Yao for open shots or defense would be too late to switch back to yao, which will destroyed their fronting. However this based on how good scola can really be.

another thoery would be reverse pick and roll. if they are fronting Yao. let one of our guards penetrate nearby that fronter on Yao. he then would need to make a decision on whether to switch over to help or continue to front Yao. if he stays then the penetrator can score, if he swicthes than pass it to Yao for open shoot 13 to 15 footer.

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Everybody is saying the right things. They understand that Game 2 is going to be a completely different atmosphere. Hopefully, they follow up on their word and come prepared to face some different looks.

It was great to see Yao take control of game 1. He was basically telling Portland that he can dominate them any time he wants to. Now it is time for the other guys to step up.

I loved the way AB played, he was playing smart basketball... which is exactly what we need him to do. There were a couple of times where he got out of control (especially in that 3rd quarter) but he slowed himself down and start making good decisions again. If he plays like that the entire series, then Portland is in trouble.

Keep up the intensity and the energy and we'll win Game 2.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

We lead by 20 in the 3rd, it was the good news that if any team can lose double digit lead it was the rockets, and if any team that can overcome double digit deficit, it is the Blazers.
    We won the first game, Portland media, good news it was just one game.
    If we win the next game, Portland will be giving out more good news, Rockets lost 2-0 lead in the last two playoff series.
    They never lose. I like that kind of thinking.

5. kaiftodai

kaiftodai Member

Winning the next game will be huge because then we will come home with all the momentum. And if you look at our home record, it will be really really hard for the blazers to beat us. I call it a must win for game 2 so we can take care of business at home and finish off the serious in 4 games. That will let yao ming rest for atleast a week and be sharp for round 2.

6. theimpossibles1

Game 2 is going to be INTENSE. The crowd is gonna be pissed and the Blazers are gonna be pumped.

7. huflungpu

huflungpu Member

Not to look too far ahead, but the Rockets definitely need to realize the importance of having a short series if they plan to have a chance against L.A. (or Utah) in the next round. They need to time to recover and prepare for the next round.

If anyone remembers the last time we advanced in 1997, I really feel like this was factor. We had just come off a rough 7 game series with Seattle whereas the Jazz finished theirs in a sweep or 5 games. It definitely could have contributed especially since our important players were older.

Of course, we did go 2-0 on the road in 2005 only to drop the series, so don't want to be too overconfident about Portland.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One game at a time.

Portland's going to come out very tough and the Rox are going to have to match their intensity. I think a tough close win actually might be better for the Rox than a blowout in game 2 as it will keep them focussed.

Given how much time though is between the playoff games momentum from game to game is hard to keep.

9. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I agree, but we are going to come out tough too. We just punched them on one side of the face, the other side is coming on Tuesday.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People always talk about how important it is to handle adversity but it often seems like handling success is just as important. In times like these I always think about Rudy T in the locker room before game 4 of the 1995 Finals with the Rox up 3-0, including a blowout in Orlando in game 2, telling them that they very well could've be down 2-1 in the series and they need to play like that.

11. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I agree, we need to treat evey game like its game 7.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

you know...2 years ago...we won the first 2 against utah....and they came back...so it's more than taking our pressure off after winning 2...it helps...but we have to play with the same mindset that we played with yesterday..

im also a worrier...seeing as that our team is not definite like the cavs or lakers...

i really hope everyone maintains their A-game...

think about it...if we played like this against the jazz or lakers in the next round??

wow...im suddenly confident...

13. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Ya, but if we can win games 1 and 2.. We go to Houston up 2-0... that's insane...

14. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

haha well the 1994 phoenix suns took the first home games from us in the semifinals. look what happened that year. hahaha ;)

15. drowsy11

drowsy11 Member

i really dont think we got COCKY in 2005 - i mean what evidence was there for that? its not like we got blown out in games 3-5.

16. houstonsnk

houstonsnk Member

I say win the rest, then I can be at the 4th here. :p

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Call me an idiotot then.

18. bloop

bloop Member

it's a must win for Portland

19. DaRrEnZhAnG

DaRrEnZhAnG Member

IMO, hell no :mad: !

we were 0-2 on the road vs the Lakers in 2004, then lost the series; :(
    we were 2-0 on the road vs the Mavericks in 2005, then lost, too; :rolleyes:
    we were 2-0 at the home vs the Jass in 2007, then lost, three; :mad:
    we were 0-2 at the home vs the Jass in 2008, then lost, four. :eek:

So, considering this, if we wanna pass the first round series, we must lose the Game 2, so we will probally enter the second round. :p

20. DaRrEnZhAnG

DaRrEnZhAnG Member

1-1 is the only possibilty for the second round, and we haven't try that.
    According to that rule, we can win this seires. :D :D :D