1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Galveston Daily News]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deep Waters, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

Rockets not good enoughBy Evan Mohl
    The Daily News
    Published October 28, 2010

Houston Rockets fans should be upset.

Their team — specifically, the owner — has made promise after promise of putting together a championship-caliber product. The front office says this team is measured by rings.

Well then, the Rockets absolutely have failed in that department.

For the last 10 years, Houston has been, for the most part, irrelevant. Sure, it has made the playoffs five times, but only once, has it advanced past the first round.

Nearly half the league has been to the Conference Finals in the last decade. Your Houston Rockets appearances — zero.

Heck, even the miserable Minnesota Timberwolves got to the Western Conference Finals after the year 2000. It’s harder to find a worse franchise than those guys.

To make matters worse, the Rockets have been the third best team in Texas. And there only are two other franchises.

And it’s not going to get any better in 2010-11. Sure, the Rockets will be competitive. They will probably make the playoffs. (Remember the National Basketball Association lets more than half of its teams into the postseason. It’s not hard to get in.)

But Houston cannot be considered a serious championship threat. Its best player can be on the court for only 24 minutes. That’s half the game. The next best scoring option is an oft-injured shooting guard, who doesn’t play defense and could not lead the Sacramento Kings out of the basement.

Sure, there are parts to like. Jordan Hill is full of athleticism, but he only got six points a game. Aaron Brooks is an upper-echelon point guard, but he’s not a franchise player. Chase Budinger can shoot and score, but it’s hard to imagine him as anything better than a third or fourth option.

So who are the Rockets going to take down to get to the NBA Finals? The Lakers? The Jazz? I don’t think they can beat the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Once again, the Rockets are poised for a 45-50 win season and a first-round playoff exit, if that. No ring looms in the future.

That’s a problem.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Who the hell does this guy think he is? Solomon?!
    I couldn't hold back from sending him my 2 cents via e-mail. What a joke Galveston Daily News has writing for them. I doubt this MF has EVER even watched the Rockets, much less this season.

2. redao

redao Member

absolute truth there.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

:eek: 2 games and the sky is falling!!! :eek:

4. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

No D and No Rebouding = No Playoffs or 1st Round Goodbye.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Galviston has a newspaper?

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I happen to think he has a legimate point though....

7. Raven

Raven Member

Everyone knows the Rockets are not title contenders (sorry, DaDa), but what could Morey have done different, since he took over? To be a legit threat to win a championship, you need a top ten player, and those guys are not sold in vending machines. Aside from tanking (which I pleaded for in Summer 2009), there is nothing else the Rockets can do except play the vulture, and plunder desperate teams looking to unload talent.

The writer is stating the obvious, yet offers no solutions. Does he actually get paid to do that?

8. RocketMania1991

Really enjoy this short article.

Glad to see someone is a realist and not a complete homer like 90% of the people on these boards.

We are not a contender, not even close.

9. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

Absolute - Free from imperfection, perfect.

According to Eric Mole's article here, "For the last 10 years, Houston has been, for the most part, irrelevant"

Redao, if the rockets aren't important why are you even here? Did the author and yourself forget about getting to the semi-finals without our arugably best player at the time (Tracy)? Pushing the lakers to 7 games with another 20 million on the bench (Yao)?

22 Game Win Streak without Yao?

This guy focuses on all negative and nothing positve.

10. RocketMania1991

On a local Houston level we have been relevant, but outside of Texas nobody cares or should recognize what we have done. Because we haven't done anything worth recognition.

You recognize championships. Not excuses and "look what we did without our best player"

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The truth sometimes hurts but I will disagree on Chase and I could care less what Martin accomplished in Sacramento with crappy talent around him these last few years. He is also assuming Yao is stuck at 24 mpg ALL SEASON and from what I've heard and read these last few days, that won't be the case.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not in Dallas

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I40PuFN6KAk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I40PuFN6KAk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

So, what is your point? Evan Mohl. You tell me how to do one thing which is better than what Morey and Les have done. Not every team is good enough to win big in NBA. Kobe has asked to be traded, but lakers got Gasol, then whole thing changed

14. redao

redao Member

because Rockets has been the best NBA team that is related with China.
    22 Game Win Streak is nice but "for the most part, irrelevant".

Is there any positive in NAB when you are losing for 15 years and still do not have a future? yes? show me.

15. DaJet

DaJet Member

[​IMG]

What makes you so sure?

We have a legit shot at making the 2nd seed with this roster.

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

I hate when they do this! At least give it a month and let the season get into full swing...

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Well, if this guy has watched the first two games, he'll notice that Kevin Martin is the least of the team's problems. He and Scola were the only reasons the Rockets were in the game yesterday.

And I understand his defense isn't the greatest, but I thought he did a pretty good job against Kobe, better than Battier, actually. And Martin certainly wasn't the one getting completely destroyed by Monta and Curry last night.

The problem so far has been the complete lack of productivity in the 4th quarter. The Rockets build up a lead by running their very good offense for the first 3 quarters, and then when the 4th quarter comes up, they completely lose their identity and iso the ball until it's flat.

It's a terrible strategy, and it's something that has plagued this team for YEARS.

18. joesr

joesr Member

I dont understand your arguement?

Is Chase a first or second option? Not even close. I think the writer was nice by sayin third.

And dont use we out rebounded LA as a argument. They had no Bynum, that would have changed a lot right there.

And kinda our defense has been at a all time low from a long time ago.

19. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

oldest one in texas

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

In fact, its the oldest newspaper in texas. Galveston was once the largest city and the capital of texas. Galveston was also the place Rudy T used to take the squad to get their focus before the playoffs started. Of course, as a long time Rockets fan, you know this.