1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gallup-publican Party Favorability Sinks to Record Low

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Oct 9, 2013.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh look. The country is thrilled that the defenders of freedom have arrived to save us from the tyranny of healthcare coverage.

Republican Party Favorability Sinks to Record Low
    Falls 10 percentage points from September's 38%
    by Andrew Dugan

This article is part of an ongoing series analyzing how the government shutdown and the debate over raising the debt ceiling are affecting Americans' views of government, government leaders, political parties, the economy, and the country in general.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- With the Republican-controlled House of Representatives engaged in a tense, government-shuttering budgetary standoff against a Democratic president and Senate, the Republican Party is now viewed favorably by 28% of Americans, down from 38% in September. This is the lowest favorable rating measured for either party since Gallup began asking this question in 1992.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/165317/republican-party-favorability-sinks-record-low.aspx

1 person likes this.
  2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of idiots.

Thanks for the House republicans! 2014!

1 person likes this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A record low number for the Republican Party, with 62% of Americans viewing them unfavorably, according to Gallup (a respected polling service), the favorability rating having gone down 10% in a month. 10%! Grim news indeed for the GOP, and obviously they are desperately searching for a way out, caving to Obama on at least one of the two emergencies the Republicans created themselves. Sometimes the American public can be slow getting the true political picture, but eventually they do. They are starting to get clarity now.

1 person likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'll take the lack of posts to mean Texxx & Co. are scrambling for some right wing media contradiction.

1 person likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I heard this cornyn (or however you spell it) ad on radio.. some kind republican commercial. The sound bites are just hilarious.

One part says something about 'less gov't' something I hear republicans hammer home but I'm confused-

Republicans want less gov't yet military spending and 'more military' (ahem govt) and these republicans are always chickenhawking too. I will be frank too in that they like to chickenhawk but they all seem like a bunch of p*****s to be honest. I mean my little sister could take newt gingrich rush limbaugh and that turd hannity on at same time in a fight. Yes my sister might be linebacker strong but military out of control GOVT and they are professing less?!?!? Whats the deal here? I dont get how military is somehow disconnected from gov't in their mind?

defense spending is out control and our biggest expense times like a zillion of everything else.

How is the number 1 expense not 'more govt'?

I mean to me the level of stupidity and pandering to a 'base' that can't be this blind.

Bush was war spending with a blank check,scaring us about 'terrists' and making us safer with the TSA and you guessed it? more gov't from you guess who?.. yup republicans.

I mean are these guys like cornyn just saying it I guess. They have stopped even trying to care. Its like those nigerian scams where its so fake the nigerians are actually going for the stupid ones that think its real.

These republicans now are just full stock going for that low hanging fruit of backwoods antiquity. We are talking Gertie in Tyler precious thing at 77. Dont forget bubba 'yes his name is really bubba' who has his walker attached to the back of his rebuilt dodge covered in nobama stickers.

The pandering is so overt that its comical. And then people believe somehow that in their mind it sounds good to say(with heavy thick redneck accent) 'I like this cornyn guy'... 'texas conservative like me' yessir

Comedy gold

1 person likes this.
  6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ouch. Another historic poll for the Publican party.

NBC/WSJ poll: Shutdown debate damages GOP
    By Mark Murray, Senior Political Editor, NBC News

The Republican Party has been badly damaged in the ongoing government shutdown and debt limit standoff, with a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finding that a majority of Americans blame the GOP for the shutdown, and with the party’s popularity declining to its lowest level.

By a 22-point margin (53 percent to 31 percent), the public blames the Republican Party more for the shutdown than President Barack Obama – a wider margin of blame for the GOP than the party received during the poll during the last shutdown in 1995-96.

Just 24 percent of respondents have a favorable opinion about the GOP, and only 21 percent have a favorable view of the Tea Party, which are both at all-time lows in the history of poll.

And one year until next fall’s midterm elections, American voters prefer a Democratic-controlled Congress to a Republican-controlled one by eight percentage points (47 percent to 39 percent), up from the Democrats’ three-point advantage last month (46 percent to 43 percent).

What’s more, Obama’s political standing has remained relatively stable since the shutdown, with his approval rating ticking up two points since last month, and with the Democratic Party’s favorability rating declining just three points (from 42 percent to 39 percent).

“If it were not so bad for the country, the results could almost make a Democrat smile,” says Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, who conducted the survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff.

“These numbers lead to one inescapable conclusion: The Republicans are not tone deaf; they are stone deaf.”

A ‘boomerang’ effect for the GOP
    Yet what is perhaps even more worrisome for the GOP is the “boomerang” effect: As the party has used the shutdown and fiscal fight to campaign against the nation’s health-care law and for limited government, the poll shows those efforts have backfired.

For one thing, the health-care law has become more popular since the shutdown began. Thirty-eight percent see the Affordable Care Act (or “Obamacare”) as a good idea, versus 43 percent who see it as a bad idea – up from 31 percent good idea, 44 percent bad idea last month.

In addition, 50 percent say they oppose totally eliminating funding for the law, even if it that means a partial shutdown of the government. That’s up from 46 percent who said they opposed that move in a Sept. 2013 CNBC poll.

And by a 52-percent-to-44 percent difference, respondents believe the government should do more to solve problems. Back in June, the public was split, 48 percent to 48 percent, on whether the government should do more or less.

Republicans and Democrats are debating a possible short term debt extension, but it's uncertain what each side would have to give. NBC's Mark Murray discusses.

“That is an ideological boomerang,” says McInturff, the GOP pollster. “As the debate has been going on, if there is a break, there is a break against the Republican position.”

Obama’s approval rating ticks up to 47 percent
    While the shutdown has wounded the Republican Party, Obama’s overall political standing remains stable in the poll.

Forty-seven percent of Americans approve of his job performance, which is actually up two points from last month (though that’s within the survey’s margin of error).

That’s compared with just 24 percent who approve of congressional Republicans, and 36 percent who approve of congressional Democrats.

Obama – with a 47 percent favorable, 41 percent unfavorable rating – also is the most popular political figure or institution in the poll, surpassing the Democratic Party (39 percent favorable/40 percent unfavorable); Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas (14 percent favorable/28 percent unfavorable); Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (18 percent favorable/32 percent unfavorable); and House Speaker John Boehner (17 percent favorable/42 percent unfavorable).

At the bottom of the list are the Tea Party (21 percent favorable/47 percent unfavorable) and the Republican Party (24 percent favorable/53 percent unfavorable) – their lowest favorable numbers in the history of the poll.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/10/20903624-nbcwsj-poll-shutdown-debate-damages-gop?lite

#6 gifford1967, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. TheresTheDagger

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The Republicans have learned a long time ago their politicians are idiots. The democrats are still in denial.

9. mc mark

Denial? I prefer to think of it as more optimistic and a better outlook on life. :p

Another piece of good news from the NBC/WSJ poll

The poll also found an increase in support for the Affordable Care Act with 38 percent of respondents approving of the law -- up from 31 percent in the same poll last month.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I can't bet on that. They didn't lose it last time in '96 and I'm not sure Congressional elections run on the same logic. How did the Tea Party guys win in 2010? Is this shutdown and the resistance to ACA a contradiction of their party primary and district mandates or fulfillment of it?

11. mc mark

Low turnout.

The mistake won't happen again. I know it's a heavy lift, but I'm optimistic.

12. Raven

Raven Member

It's simple. After "the bailout", most Americans, including independents, realized that corporatism is more of a threat to our way of life than terrorism, and GOP scare points aren't working anymore. Americans know that Republicans serve Wall Street, so it's game over for the right wing.

:)

13. Major

Major Member

Of course, in that poll, Congress gets a 5% approval rating. That's fairly hard to do because even if you ask a ridiculous question ("Are you dead?"), something like 5% answer yes in polls.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It won't matter if the nuts keep on getting elected and GOP have control of the house. We will see if it does matter in 2014. Maybe with demographic changes, in 10-20 years GOP will become less extreme in order to survive.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's been an open secret that Republicans aren't a national party anymore. The flight of open support for leadership by its members has been eroding to the bone since dub**** signed TARP.

These losers are holding ground to their gerrymandered districts where their main opposition is in the primaries where the crazies,bigots, and proud know-nuthin hillbillies really are authentic crazy, bigot or know-nuthin hillbilly. They're replacing experienced politicians because in the GOP's greater platform of distrusting the government and wasteful spending, the message seeped in too well and their constituents have singled their leadership as the problem. They might as well ALL be corrupt slimy sons of b****es.

factor that In with the gen pop not voting in primaries, and you get a **** stew of our own making that we have to eat.

Occupy needs better strategic positioning. TeePees nailed that one down.

Seems like ACA is tied to Obama at the hip more than ever.