1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gaffney to the Eagles?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 16, 2006.

1. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

who the hell is out #2 wr right now...mathis??

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Actually, of those guys on the list, Kevin Curtis is a stud wr2, maybe even wr1. Problem is, he really isn't available because he's a restricted fa and would require a 1st rounder to nab soooo he's not an option.

Nate Burleson on the other hand, would be a great wr2 here, he is a rfa as well, but would only require giving up a 3rd rounder to land. But who knows if he's even interested.

Shaun McDonald and Reche Caldwell are quality guys. The rest are scrubs like from last year. Another guy that is a potential number 2 is the guy that the Texans already signed, Kevin Walter. He is intriguing and I wouldn't write him off just yet. Just need to find out whether or not Cincy will match.

btw, a lot of the wr prospects fall of after Moss. You could get almost as good of a prospect in the 3rd, maybe even in the 4th, as you could in the 2nd.

I just don't see the need for a big name at number 2. All you need is a guy that wont make critical drops like Bradford did. There are other teams in league, good teams as well as bad, that aren't scrambling to get a big name wr2.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Reggie Bush needs to be the selection now.

The guy can line up in the slot or play RB. We need to create mismatches with defenses and having Reggie, AJ, and DD would help cover our other weaknesses on offense.

4. swilkins

swilkins Member

We don't have a #2. That was Bradford.

5. Blake

Blake Member

So we have AJ and Mathis? We lost Bradford and Gaffney...

How are we looking cap-wise? It seems we have been pretty quiet lately, with the exception of the two signings and resigning McKinney

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Would you guys trade a 3rd rounder for Javon Walker? I think that would be a sweet deal now.

7. The Real Shady

Heck yes. As long as his contract request is reasonable.

8. MadMax

MadMax Member

burleson had one really good year in his second season. he missed about 4 games but only had 300 yards receiving. he didn't start in every game, either. only 9 of the 12.

walter has been in the season for 3 years. combined, he's started 2 games for a grand total of 296 yards. forgive me, but i'm not real excited about that.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

burleson is restricted. Gaffney is nothing special but he was our second best WR. He would is a real good #3 WR. Charley needs to get the hell out of here.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Not a bad idea. When healthy Walker is a top 10 wideout. Johnson, Walker, and Bush would be a nightmare for any defense. Carr shouldn't have any excuse then.

11. The Real Shady

I can understand bashing Casserly for picking a bust of a player in the 2nd round like Gaffney, but the release of Jabar was Kubiak's call.

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

I would love to have Nate Burleson. Bringing Javon Walker back to Houston/Galveston would be a dream. Doubt it would happen, though. :(

13. stevel

stevel Member

I could easily see us trading a 3rd for a number 2 WR. I personally don't see much difference between Gaffney and Armstrong. Both aren't the fastest guys but both caught the ball well, and DA actually has better hands than JG. I can't get over JG getting hit in the back of the head TWICE last season running routes. Supposedly Starling had some upside and maybe the coaches feel he is ready to contribute more.

Honestly I would rather try to get a stud TE.

14. rhester

rhester Member

When you feel bad about losing a Jabar Gaffney you have serious roster deficiencies.

We already needed a #2 receiver and still do- no change.

We also need a tight end, 3 good offensive linemen, an edge pass rusher, at least one good outside linebacker, a starting cornerback and at least one really solid safety.

Other than that this is the house Charlie built.

15. The Real Shady

The Texans are looking at Burleson. He would cost us one of our 3rd round picks.

Early next week, Minnesota Vikings restricted free agent Nate Burleson, 24, also will visit the Texans, whose offseason program starts Monday. Burleson is just two years removed from a 1,000-yard season.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/3729617.html

#35 The Real Shady, Mar 17, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  16. mateo

mateo Member

Nate Burleson was a fantasy killer last season.

17. MadMax

MadMax Member

he started 9 games...played in 12...had about 300 yards receiving.

the year before he was over 1,000 yards.

i don't know...will the real nate burleson please stand up?

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Thats what happens when Randy Moss leaves the team. Same thing that happened to Peerless Price when he no longer had Moulds. Maybe playinig alongside AJ would help him out.