1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gabby Petito murder mystery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Sep 21, 2021.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not really, I’m sure everyone else thought it was weird the BF showed up without her. But it’s kinda chilling him and his fam didn’t say anything for 2 wks. Probably no evidence left

Who else is following this

Yung-T and tinman like this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like he got some advice not to talk and he's going to run with that.

Those that think it works or doesn't can look to casey anthony and jon benet ramsey..it the end in those cases not talking helped the defendant.
    Sure those are different cases but we will see how this strategy works

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don’t understand why this is national news.

Deckard, ryan_98 and Duncan McDonuts like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

She is young, white and socially attractive. As someone that has defended people accused of killing young, attractive, white women… I can tell you that it is the worst victim to choose… kill the old, ugly and minority folks…. No one seems to give a **** and you have a better chance of getting away with it.

mdrowe00, JumpMan, ElPigto and 3 others like this.
  5. HTM

HTM Member

It's not a mystery. Her BF killed her on the road trip and he is now a fugitive from justice.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

Okay i'm going to say it and address the elephant in the room had this been a black or brown woman this wouldn't have made the news everyone in there right mind knows he did it so why is this the big story AND DON'T GET ME WRONG her parents and family will be without her for the rest of their lives and that is not a good feeling the lose of any child to a parent is the worst feeling ever and i feel for them.I hope he is found alive and face the justice that he should .

ryan_98, VooDooPope, Xerobull and 2 others like this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Everybody knows it the truth, but yea wish more people would be blunt about it. You’ll find countless black kids with sad stories but nobody is going to give a ****

mdrowe00, Nook and tinman like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did the internet basically solve the mystery by using google maps and patching clues from the videos?

obviously they are in the middle of nowhere, odds of it not being him are very low

IBTL likes this.
  9. HTM

HTM Member

I understand there is a racial component but also no one would care if she were white, poor and fat either.... attractiveness is the key here.

gatsby, justtxyank, JumpMan and 3 others like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

the media picks and chooses the stories that gets the most hits,
    this girl was a youtuber with a decent following.

as I have mentioned many times before, it's a ratings game. nobody is outraged that kids are being shot in the hood of Chicago because it's so common now. it's sad, but this story is the one that sells and gets clicks.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

attractiveness doesn't hurt, but take a look at any big time story over the last decade...they have one thing in common. I don't wanna believe it, but everyone take a look at what their gut tells them

Gabby Petito case rekindles debate about selective coverage, consumption of missing persons stories
    https://wtop.com/national/2021/09/g...erage-consumption-of-missing-persons-stories/

News organizations and much of the public at large are transfixed on the story of Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito, who went missing during a trip with her fiancée Brian Laundrie.

Authorities recently found human remains in Grand Teton, Wyoming that are believed to be those of the missing 22-year-old. The search is also on for Laundrie, who appears to have vanished without a trace.

While many are looking for answers to what happened, others are also wondering why this missing persons case is elevated and so intensely covered over others.

“It’s fair to say that it’s troubling,” said criminologist and sociologist Zach Sommers, who conducted a study into online news coverage of missing persons cases in terms of race and gender.

PBS news anchor Gwen Ifill is credited with first coining the phrase “missing white woman syndrome” when it comes to which stories are intensely covered and consumed by readers and news watchers.

Sommers’ study, titled “Missing White Woman Syndrome: An Empirical Analysis of Race and Gender Disparities in Online News Coverage of Missing Persons,” was published in 2016.

The study took a look at every missing persons case covered by several media groups in the year 2013. They include the Star Tribune of Minneapolis, the Chicago Tribune, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and CNN.com.

“[On the question of] who received any news coverage at all, we see whites, women and girls overrepresented,” said Sommers. “Within the folks that gets news coverage, [there’s] more coverage intensity and a greater number on average of articles about white missing people, women and girls.”

Sommers says it’s a reflection of trends seen more broadly in American society when it comes to culture, racism and even the makeup of newsrooms.

“We are ready, willing and able to accept the idea of ‘damsels in distress,’ [which is] a trope we see consistently,” said Sommers.

“With respect to race, we are just more readily willing to accept that there is a victim who is in need of saving or a case that we should care about when it’s a white person,” Sommers said.

Even though his analysis closely examined certain factors in coverage, Sommers stresses that it doesn’t lessen the seriousness of Petito’s case.

“None of this is to undersell the importance,” said Sommers. “It’s just that cases like this should get attention about all kinds of individuals not just those who look a certain way or fit into certain types of stereotypes that we’re used to seeing.”

Sommers even recommends solutions to buck the trend, which includes more diverse newsrooms and the general public changing their news consumption.

“Lending your attention and clicks to stories of missing persons of color or faces that we don’t necessarily see as commonly in this context can be a really tangible step we can take as individuals,” said Sommers.[/quote]

ryan_98, Nook and tinman like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

it's national news because it gets clicks and views.

the business model, which the news is a business, is getting high ratings.
    A good looking young white youtuber with a following is murdered while goes missing with her fiancé ?

another kid killed in chicago or new york..

this is the same reason that Rockets aren't on TV as much as Lakers or Nets
    the same reason Megan Markle and Prince Harry are on the cover of time.

Same reason Travis Scott and Kylie can bypass all the regular houston kids to go to the zoo.

Newlin and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

yup

[​IMG]

14. tinman

Supporting Member

for those who don't understand the media, do some research and participate

1. attend a live showing of any talk show or game show in hollywood or new york
    2. attend a film festival and take the surveys at the end of the show
    3. befriend some local reporters and ask them about how they get assigned stories
    4. read the stock market news for media companies for your favorite 'news' stations
    5. learn the history of the neilsen ratings
    6. learn how advertising works on tv and the internet
    7. look at the demographics of the views and average household incomes
    8. take a communications class
    9. take an economics class
    10. Ask yourself why the Rockets weren't on national TV last year

@Os Trigonum

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

The internet sleuths were all over this one. The murdaugh case is also heavily on their radar as well.

Clicks. $

16. HTM

HTM Member

This doesn't address attractiveness at all.

I wouldn't maintain race isn't important here... it's the first thing I said... I would also suggest physical appearance is important.

I'm sure research would show that fat/ugly white girls aren't covered nearly as much as pretty/skinny white girls.

Astrodome likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We've been conditioned to elicit specific reactions given its racial undertones.

In this case: intrigue and some regret.

So when some people ask, why aren't libs howling with anger when a white person get killed by cops and the media don't care??

Same reason. A missing black or hispanic woman doesn't get this attention or scrutiny. Asian girl...only if her story is weird, quirky or exotic AF. Something that, when presented, tells you there's something off with that victim.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

Don’t forget that one girl who went missing in Aruba
    And Jon Bonnet

[​IMG]

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't forget the girl who went missing in Big Moose Lake

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

everyone's go to on why this is big news is understandable. still though I don't get it. there are attractive girls I'm sure that are missing or killed somewhat regularly. i suppose sometimes a story just takes hold though.