1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

future Texas A&M Aggie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsMac, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

What surprised me in my travels is that just about everywhere I have been I have come across a Texas A&M Club, where grads get together and network, etc.

When I was visiting my dad when he was working in Charlotte, NC, I grabbed the newspaper off the table. There was an ad for a meeting of the Texas A&M Club of Charlotte.

When I was in Seattle, I was actually invited to the meeting of the Texas A&M Club of Western Washington.

My old college roommate has been working in Anchorage, Alaska since his graduation in 1995.

There are active A&M clubs all over the country. That is why it surprises me a bit when somebody says that they never come across an A&M grad anywhere outside of Texas.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, I haven't seen too many on the east coast or the uppper midwest, though I don't doubt in certain cities you would find them such as military cities or cities connected to the oil & gas industry.probably also a fair amount in DC.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yes I've run into quite a few Aggies in DC, especially computer science majors...probably due to to the pretty large demand for software engineers in the area.

4. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Wow, I wasn't expecting 81 replies :eek: but even though 50% of them are bashing A&M and 49% are just random posts with nekkid college biatches, I found the 1% left very helpful :D

first of all, just to clarify things; I dont give a crap about the city, or the atmosphere, or the hot ladies (no homo), or any other thing mentioned in the replies (other than education).. all I care about is education right now. and I know that sounds very nerdy, but that's what really matters to me. I am gonna be stayin' in H-town most of the time anyways, plus I am studying premed, which means that I am trying to get the heck out of undergrad school as soon as possible (I am gonna probably qualify as sophomore anyway because of all the AP tests I took & plan on taking), and I want to take summers as well. needless to say, I am trying to get premed over with in 3 years max (I wanna go to Baylor college of medicine in the medical center downtown, which, by the way, is ranked #10 nationally among medical schools). s

now, for all of you UT advocates, I considered UT, in fact, it was my first choice for a while, until I met with the recruiter from UT and A&M and saw the difference. UT basically sent us a r****ded lady that didn't know what she was talking about and when I asked her about premed, she was like "yeah, premed is good too, but ENGINEERING ..." so u get the idea. on the other hand, the A&M people were the classiest, most friendly recruiters I have ever seen. they were extremely helpful, the head of recruitment center in Houston and the Chief financial aid advisor in the houston area gave me their personal numbers and told to call them whenever I please to get help, the financial aid guy even offered to personally help me write my essay!

another thing that made me shift my focus to A&M is the housing thing. UT just wants to rob people, u have to freakin apply for housing even before they consider your application! and u get to pay for that! it's not like the 200 bucks or whatever is gonna break me, but hey, the principle is wrong. it's like they are just trying to make money. when I asked the A&M recruiter if they do the same thing, he laughed, then applied "no, we are not interested in your money like UT is, u dont apply for housing until you are accepted". it's these little things that make A&M superior to UT in my opinion.

one last thing: I like A&M because it's closer to houston. I've been to Austin, and it's one of the most beautiful cities I've seen, but it's too far away, I want to stay close to houston, so that's another arrow pointing to A&M..

oh, and one more thing: A&M has running backs that throw 50 yard touchdowns, can any of you Shorthorn fakers say anything about that? :D

my boy J-Train:
    [​IMG]

and this is for you VY and UT lovers :D :
    [​IMG]

freakin' r****ds! the sued for a saw 'em off logo! how stupid is that?

whiny bastards...

and for the few fellow aggies that support me:
    [​IMG]

5. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

LOL. I wonder how many people understood that.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

To be honest, when I went to college (around 1996) most people around the state didn't know much about UT either. A&M football was more well-known at that time and so was their school, IMO. Actually, whenever I mentioned UT to someone that wasn't from this area (i.e. Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, etc) they typically thought I was talking about the one in TN. Of course, Manning was there around this time and they had a very good football team. The success of the UT athletic department has really bumped the name of the school.

I don't think most outside the state know much about UT now either...they just know more about our athletic department.

To the thread starter, any school can be fine for you...depending on you. Do you like big classes, small ones, want to travel, be close to home, care about girls, what do you want to major in, etc. You need to answer all of those questions before picking your college. Congrats on being in the top 10%.

7. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

does UT have RB's that can do this? :D
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iWxGMsLikUg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iWxGMsLikUg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

8. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

you're points are all :rolleyes:

UT knows that they don't have to reach out and try to recruit people because a majority of students, if given the opportunity, would accept the offer over other schools. A&M, on the other hand, seems to try and talk people up just so they can get people to come to CS, hence you're logic for UT wanting $$$ is flawed, when it's A&M that wants it.

football wise, our running backs don't throw 50 yard passes, but we do have 4 nation championships compared to A&M's 0

as for the housing process, wah wah wah. you get in fine, you don't, you get your money back

[​IMG]

sucka

9. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

thank u very much man, I appreciate your advice..

as u can tell from my posts, I am only concerned about education; having a cool atmosphere would be nice, but that's not my priority. my priority is to stay close to houston, get a good education, and not spend all of my financial resources on premed when I have a long way to go.

my first goal was actually Rice. I wanted to go there so bad, but I was advised by many people that it would just mess me up: too much money, too hard for premed, and unnecessary extra work for me. so I lowered the standard a bit and started looking for A&M and UT. hopefullly I wont have to lower it again and start thinking about HCC :)..

10. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

dude! that's a total ripoff!! the original is right here:
    [​IMG]

u just delivered the knock off punch to UT's hope of getting me :D ..

bunch of r****ded copycats :mad: :D

11. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Texas A&M
    "The Aggie War Hymn"

Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!
    Hullabaloo, Caneck! Caneck!
    Good-bye to Texas University
    So long to the Orange and the White
    Good luck to the dear old Texas Aggies
    They are the boys that show the real old fight
    "The eyes of Texas are upon you..."
    That is the song they sing so well
    So good-bye to Texas University
    We're going to beat you all to--
    Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
    Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
    Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A&M!

^that alone should keep you away from A&M

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

As long as it keeps people like you away, then it's all good. :eek:

13. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

even thought I hate to admit it, but I gotta say that this is possible the gheyest song/anthem/whatever I've ever seen. I wonder what tune they sing it to.

no seriously, what were they thinking when they wrote this?? :eek:

14. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Yah it's seriously annoying as hell ... If you plan on going to any football games plan on hearing it at least 5 times.

15. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Here's something to think about. I'm a law student, and our first day at orientation our Dean gave us the stats on the incoming class. UT grads made up a third of the class, and outnumbered A&M grads two to one. The Aggies, however, were louder with that gayass "wooop" thing they do.

If you want to go to Baylor College of Medicine, call them up and see which schools they draw from. This should be something you consider. I personally think that UT places better in grad schools than A&M (and not just at my school), but you might be overlooking better options than the big two.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

My aunt is a PHD professor at Northwestern. Her field is quantum physics. Her new company centers around quantum devices and nanotechnology. She gave a speech at TAMU a long time ago. She came away extremely impressed with the engineering school. Said we had great resources. And today it is the best engineering program in Texas.

So ya. Maybe your average yokel out of state hasn't heard of Texas A&M. Maybe the average yokel doesn't realize who the Secretary of Defense is. Thank god people with half a brain pay us our dues. They are the ones doing the hiring after all.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sorry bud. The thread is no longer about you. Its about US. So many people are here bashing our school, saying we have an inferiority complex, yet we haven't come off as arrogant in the slightest. I can't believe what I am reading. Its like a freaking witch hunt.

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

They flew those ladies in from nearby Colorado.

19. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

These statements are funny in more than one way.

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If it makes you feel better, I only let A&M vet grads take a look at my cat when sick. They know they're stuff.