1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

future Texas A&M Aggie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsMac, Oct 7, 2007.

1. flipmode

flipmode Member

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hey,

I heard through the grapevine about this scholarship program at UH where they will pay for you to go to UH for undergrad (pre-med), then when you graduate pay for you to go to Baylor med. Some ladies nephew got that scholarship and started this year. Might wanna see if you can find out what it is....

3. danny317

danny317 Member

i dont know of any UH/Baylor med program but i know theres a UH/UT houston med program. its not a scholarship but you get preferred admission into UT houston med school. (you still have to take the mcat unlike the rice/baylor med program)

i think you have to apply for the UH/UT houston med program your sophmore/junior year.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

And most doctors don't make all that much when they leave school.

Most people aren't lawyers either, and I know plenty of lawyers that incurred a ton of debt to go to a private school for undergrad, and then more debt for law school...they are having a rough time retiring their student debt.

It's all relative, but to just say "most people are not doctors" is very much overly simplistic, and ignores several economic realities.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lawyers retire debt faster than doctors IMO. I would say doctors have it the worst, but htat is just my own personal experience.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yes, a general practitioner may have a difficult time paying back loans...but thats why most doctors do a residency in a specialized field. There are more than a handful of specialties that will net you some serious 6 figure salary...and if you go into any surgery, you'll be doing just fine as well.

Pediatrics, family medicine, preventive medicine, pathology...yeah, they dont make much. But, I can name 20 specialties that make a boat load of cash.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah zit doctors - ewww.

8. Refman

Oh...agreed...no question.

Doctors have a terrible time with debt, and their malpractice insurance is almost mandatory (can't get hospital creds without it), and the rates are out of sight....then there is decreasing payouts by insurers...etc etc.

All that being said...everything is relative, and I know a good many lawyers who have thought about naming their first child Forebearance.

9. Refman

My ex wife's dad is a neurologist...I was shocked when I found out that he wasn't completely loaded. It isn't as lucrative as you may think because of rising liability insurance rates (particularly in specialties) and declining PPO payouts.

10. ths balla

ths balla Member

for my fellos aggies im gonna be up at the rec tom prolly around 1230 or 1 to shoot some hoops if u wan2 join