1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Future of employement and wages

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

We are *ooked, not looking good. Forget the jobs, think of the overpopulation!

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

All of you Luddites.

We will be fine.

3. MystikArkitect

4. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I have recently looked into this overpopulation myth and it's not as alarming as you think. The growth is curbing and at this rate we will eventually go start declining in population in around 70 years.

I suggest everybody start carrying and using cash exclusively when they want to spend. This helps the local economy more than you think. Just the fees alone saves big and small businesses money.

5. Space Ghost

Why would I use cash? Credit Cards provide me a ledger of my transactions, fraud security, cash back, and I do not need to worry about losing my credit card. Why should I be concerned about the 3% transaction fee when they have already built it into their cost of goods?

RedRedemption likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You don't believe in the whole points for free air tickets ehh?

7. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Up to you. But do you pay for that 99 cent taco with a credit card? I just think its weird when the total is a dollar seven and a grown man cant pull out cash to pay for it.

Do you really need fraud protection on that one to $200 weekly withdrawal to have cash on hand when you need it? You can go to the grocery store and get $100 cash back, no charge.

And not everybody needs a ledger ;). You cant deduct that taco, or those groceries.

That fee goes both ways. And maybe you dont, but so many people overdraft and pay late fees on credit cards because they simply forget to pay on time. This is free money that goes to the bank and you never see it again.

And it is not 3%. Some merchants have to pay 40 cents per swipe causing some to be forced to require $5 minimum charges.

#27 Brown Lost It, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah money saved that they will pocket.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I hope to be employed by Brawndo soon, the thirst mutilator. It's the future, it has electrolytes and it's what the plants crave.

jsingles likes this.
  10. Exiled

Exiled Member

those concerns had started with this
    [​IMG]

Brown Lost It likes this.
  11. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

The more they grow, the more they can compete and hire more employees. I dont see how that or saving on late/overdraft fees are bad for businesses or consumers.

I still have a bank account and a savings account, but i just think it is silly to use a card on every single purchase.

Cash feels nice to have and use sometimes.

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'm not sure the "automated everything" thing will happen in my lifetime (I'm 30). Costs would be really high and it would take major buy in by tons of people. I'm actually not too worried about it. Maybe for my son? But no use i worrying about it for a 3 year old right now. As Dr. Ian Malcom once said, "Life finds a way."

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

While he's more optimistic than I am, here's a great discussion about exactly this subject:

I would add to that: most humans are not needed anymore, and you would have to be very naive to believe that those who control economies won't reduce their interest in paying and securing their wage laborers. You better figure out what people will be willing to pay for and, equally important, HOW they will be willing to pay for the monster industries of the future. Virtually no one in control is thinking about how to combat this wave of unemployment coming, and they seem to think that those unemployed people will sit back and die, when in reality history tells us they will rather take a sledgehammer to progress. The jobs we're talking about will be gone VERY quickly in America especially where oligarchs are not beholden to the government. For example, in 6-8 years, the driver employment market will be gone, even if there will still be tons of drivers around.

Summary: think about the least likely things that can be replaced by AI, make sure you love it, and start learning it NOW in a hurry.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Maybe so but doesn't everything suggest otherwise? Tesla will eliminate 40k deaths a year with less combustion cars for example. Medicine ect, bottom line the gov will eventually have to start providing yearly wages at some point...

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Robots have such potential

[​IMG]

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The greatest necessary change will have to be the human heart and mentality.
    The feelings of "If you don't work you don't eat" will have to change
    as we are coming to a point where tech will feed more people more effectively
    Meaning Jobs might go the way of the Jetsons (These 3 hours days are killing me)
    With more people doing the same job
    or
    Some people will simply have no jobs and divert their minds to other pursuits.

In time . .. say 50 years. . . . some entertainment jobs like singers, actors, etc
    will be relegated to programmers, computer modelers, etc

Rocket River

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

"Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Learn up fellas...

B-Bob likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

"Life finds a way" normally means wiping out huge chunks of a species

20. Space Ghost

The fees merchants pay is irrelevant to me. Nobody is forcing them to use credit cards. In my line of work, from time to time, we will sell a product with low margin/profit to make a long term customer happy. A $5000 item is sold to the customer for $5500 and if they pay by CC, we pay the entire 3%. Sometimes that is the cost of business.

Secondly, I dont carry a wallet, much less a purse. I have never carried coins on me since fast food started accepting CC's. A $1.07 taco could really cost me $2.00 if I dont keep up with my change.

Everyone needs a ledger. Its not about deduction, its about knowing where your money is going. You may not care, but I do.

Lastly, never carrying cash is great ... I dont have to feel guilty lying to the bums that I dont have cash.