1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fur-ious finish

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sir scarvajal, Apr 7, 2000.

1. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

1st, major, major props the writer(s) of the lotto/tank-o-thong column. The comments always really make me laugh, very clever. It makes me think back to the Idiot Contest that I think was part of the Flying Circus--hilarious. After this tough season with growing pains, you have to take a step back and laugh a little about our plight to enjoy things.

I looked at the schedule of the seven fighting for the #5 through #11 picks (note: 1-4 slots are untouchable, as are 12+). Here is my estimated finish of the close teams though:

#5 Atlanta (solid). Lenny W. has locked down on this position like a Pit Bull on a Poodle. Even with their unfavorable schedule (5 of 8 against losing record teams), lately they have just been way too consistent for anyone outside of the Clippers to match up with head to head. Brilliant move releasing Rider when the did. All he could do was heat up here and there--blowing a little draft positioning (and maybe the whole pick), on his way out the door. Had they have done this a little sooner they might even have had the Gizzards and Warriors sweating.

*******The next 3 spots are too close to be confident********

#6 Houston. We have the best schedule going for us. Though 4 of 7 are home, 4 of 7 are >500 western conference teams jockeying for playoff position. A key game is at Denver. If we flub this one an eak out a W we just as likely will end at 9 as 6. Other important games, a pair with that sleepy smelly rain soaked nemesis of ours. Though I wouldn't mind terribly helping them get swept by the Lakers in the 1st round, the big picture suggests we just can't let them wet on our parade again!!!

#7 Cleveland. A very close call with us. We have a 1/2 game lead, but they play an extra roady. Otherwise an equivalent schedule.

#8 Washington. Despite the 2 game lead on us and 2.5 on Cleveland, I put them at slightly behind both. The reason: 4 of 7 at home, and a whopping 5 of 7 against league dregs. I like our chances (and Cleveland's) well enough to pass them, plus they have been playing out of their hard earned low draft positioning lately--maybe MJ has done something for us after all.

#9 Denver. A lot rides on our game at Denver on April 11. If Denver manages to squirrel us a victory (thats where the "fur-ious" comes from), it wouldn't surprise me if we end up here in the nine spot. Though even if we do blow that one, we could get another lead as Denver has to play GS twice and the NailClips. At Portland, the last game of the season, may be a harder one to lose than we thought too. Thus I like the McNuggets here, but after April 11 things could get very sticky.

#10. New Jersey. Brilliant move sitting down Starbury, probably for the rest of the year. May be too little to late though. Lucky for us we have a two game lead, and 4 of 7 of their games are against dregs. Slip-ups to the Bulls, Hawks and Cavs could make it more interesting, by I like our lead right now.

#11. Boston. This team has been swiftly sneaking up on us like an attack submarine. We are down to a 1 game lead, it was around 5 a couple of weeks ago. However 6 of 7 at the Fleet should take care of them for us--plus I think really everyone in the org wants to keep the Globe writers off them as much as possible before the off-season. Losing up to 4 more games on the home soil is the last thing they want to do, I feel pretty secure here.

------------------