1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Funny People (movie)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aussie rocket, Sep 29, 2009.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Alright so I gave up on Adam Sandler a long time ago - but I'm gonna give this one a shot on the weekend - has anyone that's seen it tell me if I shouldn't bother....

2. gwatson86

gwatson86 Member

As long as you're ok with it not being that funny, it was a decent movie. Could have stood to shed about 20 minutes off the run time though.

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Member

4. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

This movie blows. Go see for yourself and let us know if you agree.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

I liked it, its good as long as you don't compare it to other Judd Apatow movies, this was his first shot at the drama genre, and I enjoyed it.

6. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

7. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Member

oops... you've been such a regular here i thought you were a contributing member. no worries

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Member

You're probably better off taking a walk or maybe watching paint dry. At least then you'll know what you're getting out of it beforehand. I agree with the earlier poster about shaving some minutes off. I would say more along the lines of 2 hrs or so.

9. durvasa

durvasa Member

It's a solid movie, and you should especially enjoy it if you're really into stand up and interested on how it may work behind the scenes. But as you may have guessed from the other responses don't expect it to be a laugh-a-minute, like 40 year old virgin. Not that kind of movie.

10. jiggadi

jiggadi Member

I enjoyed it. has some really funny parts.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If anything, you should see it for a fairly good comedic performance by Eric Bana, just a good parody of a neurotic Alpha male husband. And it seems like a decent faux-portrait of a successful, but lonely celebrity/comedian. And I'll always tolerate Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill and Jason Schwartzman in anything.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Eric Bana used to be good until he got to Hollywood.

13. weslinder

weslinder Member

1 person likes this.
  14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I still watch Munich every single time it's on. Just the scene where he and Daniel Craig are assembling their guns before they kill the lady assassin.

16. aghast

aghast Member

I'm interested in the above, and thought the movie completely shortchanged this aspect in order to focus on how precocious Apatow's real-life kids are. We get it: we know they're adorable. And they can sing, too?

Apatow had comedian Aziz Ansari invent a fictional comedian who tells lousy/ribald jokes, imitating Dane Cook, and uses a DJ onstage. A comedian with a DJ? Funniest thing ever, right? Nope, that character is onscreen for maybe two minutes. (They did build him a promotional website, though. NSFW: language and instant audio from the link.)

At best, it does have a few nods to what lousy movies once-great comedians end up doing for the money / regressing to (Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, and yeah, Adam Sandler).

e.g. MerMan:
    [​IMG]

So overall, it's hit or miss. It's life-affirming message: dang it, Apatow sure does have a lovely wife and cute kids.

He doesn't chop anyone's toes off in this movie, or get stabbed repeatedly, so Funny People = meh. (I'm still reading your posts in Chopper's voice, btw.)

17. ClutchCityReturns

I think he was honestly trying to give you a tool you can use to circumvent your lack of access to the standard search feature.

:confused:

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Pretty good comedic actor from what I hear, have a friend whose from Melbourne

19. Kim

Kim Member

IIRC, I don't think he was an actor or went to school for acting...he was a regular dude who wanted to be a comedian who somehow fell into acting roles.