1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Funk Tucker Carlson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Mar 11, 2021.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

@deb4rockets — your thoughts in aisle Tucker/Duckworth.

2. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

Ottomaton, B-Bob, durvasa and 3 others like this.
  3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

i miss Spain, or at least what I experienced of Spain. Barcelona. Madrid. Salamanca. Grenada. Never got to Valencia. I miss all international travel. Tapas. Sangria. The dinners that ran till midnight. Casa de Wu and speaking Spanish to Chinese looking people. Ah, glory days.

don’t know how things are over there now, but all the best.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't bother to take anything a Fox News host says seriously. I really can't be bothered with those clowns, or anything they have to say. Do I think he needs to shut up about what women can and can't do? Yes

I also don't give 2 cents for that blowhard tv host's viewpoint on what the military should or shouldn't do.

#44 deb4rockets, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    FrontRunner, B-Bob, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The real problem... fox news ownership allows and supports carlson's insane and offensive comments...

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If that is not the perfect Bio for someone named Tucker I don't know what is.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really don't care about Tucker Carlson, I mean Tucker Carlson said something inflammatory, shocking....

On the subject of women in combat I'm going to bring up again the Kurdish women who fought ISIS and as a story that more people should know about and uphold.

While ISIS was incredibly brutal to men also the women fought ISIS had more than death to worry about than if they lost to ISIS. The bravery but also the capability of these women is incredible.

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I was in a discussion group last Friday on the subject of courage and one of issues came up was that courage is frequently talked about only in masculine terms and even these days many still consider women to be less brave than men. What was ironic about the discussion was one the people in it was Russian man and in Russian history there have been examples that show that isn't the case. During WWII the Soviet Army had women soldiers including women snipers who were as effective as their male counterparts. Also the Soviets had a women's bomber regiment who were called "The Night Witches" who flew bombing missions against the Germans. They flew into combat in essentially plywood planes as the better planes were reserved for men. Given the lack of dog fight capability of their planes they developed stealth techniques such as shutting off their engines and gliding to their targets.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches

While yes there are physical differences between men and women with on average men being larger and having much more upper body strength than women that doesn't mean that women can still serve in combat. In industrialized warfare physical strength isn't as valuable as it might have been when combat was done in shield walls and cavalry charges. As the Kurdish women militia showed on a modern battlefield women can still be effective.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I meant more about the topic of women in the military, but yes, totally agree on Cucker Tarlson. It's sad that he has viewership, but there we are.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thats the challenge. Ignoring his television show is easy. But so many people watch and have their thinking molded and reinforced by what he says. And a good percentage of their thinking results in our political leadership. Case in point... 2016.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe if a woman wants to do a job, regardless of what it is, if she can do the job then let her do it. Thank God we have women willing to serve. As for my job, well it wasn't physically demanding. As an Air Traffic Controller the job was all mental. Even so, there were always men who felt that because they were men, they were better than women.

I remember back in the day working at Whiting Field Naval Air Station in Milton Florida. It was a training base for pilots which had 2 airfields. One for helicopter trainees and one for pilots training on T-34's. They would send most of the women to South Tower, because they felt men were better at working the T-34's. For that fact alone, I asked to go to North Tower. Yes, the bias and promotions in the military were favored towards men. But, it's like that in any field of work. I'm glad Biden is giving women more top positions. Long time coming.

malakas, FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

I liked when John Oliver called him a "sentient polo mallet"

jiggyfly, deb4rockets and B-Bob like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

One issue with modern infantry warfare is loadout weight. Previous generation of infantry didn't have front, back and side sapi plates. Carrying 100 plus lbs while being able to walk 20+ miles on difficult terrain and still have the energy to carry out fire and maneuver drills in case of contact along with being able to fireman's carry another 200 lb human if necessary is difficult.

There are definitely women who can accomplish this but my fear is that it wouldn't be enough to the point where there would be a ratio that wouldn't concern me. Would you feel comfortable for women in a infantry line company that has a ratio of like 1/30 women to men in a 7 month deployment? It has potential to increase sexual assault rates, something that is a problem in the military.

An all female infantry company might be viable.

Also, I agree that infantry is becoming a less important rile as time moves forward in modern warfare and in a couple of decades this probably isn't going to be an issue anymore.

Nook likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

True many women would have difficulty carrying 100+ lbs 20+ miles but so would many men. As someone who does a combat sport size and strength do make a difference but that is why we have weight classes.
    Not denying this isn't a problem but this is a matter of military discipline. The same arguments were made allowing gay people to serve in the military that there might be a higher increase of sexual assaults from gay males assaulting their comrades. I'm not aware that that has happened. While there are far too many sexual assaults and even killings in the military. This can be remedied by discipline and accountability.
    Yes the modern military isn't limited to infantry roles and even in infantry there are various roles too.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Man, I haven't heard from @RayRay10 in a minute. hope he's ok.

Nook, jiggyfly and FrontRunner like this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

He called Laura Ingram a "sentient plantation wedding". I snarfed.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

His account was online 5 hours ago.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

yeah, but he hasn't posted in almost 2 months.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's beside the point when Carlson is spouting such misogynistic rants. Oh, well. Anything to distract the right from the stimulus bill which even most Republicans support (but FOX can't let them focus on the bill; gotta talk about Dr Seuss and Pepe Le Pew and women in the armed forces and Meghan Markle et al).

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Meh. Wake me up when @ch44 posts in the GARM.

Nook and TWS1986 like this.