1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Funeral Etiquette?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chow_yun_fat, Feb 27, 2016.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Could anyone of ya'll give me tips or proper etiquette when it comes to a funeral? Prior, during, after?

I'm considering asking the parents if they would like a gofundme page to help with funeral costs etc.

Don't know if it matters, but he served in the military for over ten years, was deployed to Afghanistan and one of the best soldiers I've worked with.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not clear in your post, so your buddy passed away? And you want to help the family pay for the funeral? Sure, if his parents know who you are, don't see a problem with asking. It might be a difficult subject to breach, if the parents might get offended by that, though.

Also, he's eligible for Military Funeral Honors. You could use this info as a way to feel them out wrt possibly needed help funding the funeral.

http://www.dd214.us/funeral.html

All said, wouldn't they need the money now, though. Would a gofundme campaign run a few days too late to put down money on services? I suppose it could pay the bills later, but they might make decisions based on what they can afford now -- for instance, cremation vs casket. Someone might need to front the gofundme if it comes down to them not wanting to choose cremation, but have to for cost reasons.

#2 heypartner, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Well, long story short, he didn't leave the military honorably. He wouldn't be eligible for the veteran funeral honors.

Correct, he passed away recently and I found out from a second source that his parents plan on cremating him. If any of you service members know of a guy with a million dollar baby from Colorado, you will know who I am speaking of.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No selfies.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He manages a hot female boxer?

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If he has siblings, I'd ask them, over the parents. Or a wife/GF. Maybe that's just me though.