1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

From Houston, did you enjoy going south to Galveston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houstontexans, Apr 29, 2018.

?

Did you enjoy Galveston?

1. Yes

74.5%
  2. No

25.5%
  3. Have not touched there yet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

The title of this thread reminds me of:

Uprising likes this.
  2. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Necro bump for Rudy and Pacos. Really really good. We went there tonight and it was amazing. Sunflower Cafe was OK. Pancakes so so. Decent coffee.

#82 TWS1986, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Buck Turgidson and Xerobull like this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Going to Galveston as a kid I always wanted to stay at the San Luis Hotel Resort...finally did that this past weekend. Had a great time. Ferititta got my money on hotel and dinning the whole weekend.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pennies tex mex bbq is where everyone should go when visiting Galveston.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’m not a fan of the Texas gulf coast.
    Is it horrible? No. Is it nice to have a coast to access? Yes. But if you’ve been to other coasts around the country and world, it’s pretty disappointing.

of the major coast in America for example, I prefer all of the west coast beaches, the non Texas gulf coast and many parts of the Atlantic coast over it... not to mention some of the Great Lake coasts.

Just my two cents.

arkoe likes this.
  6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

So you are saying you prefer blue water to brown? Weird

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Roscoe Arbuckle

My ex-wife had a family house in Destin her whole life and decided to spend a family vacation in Galveston from Arkansas. Maybe nostalgia, I don't know, but Galveston has history over a lot of these other beach towns in Spades.

Xerobull and MadMax like this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

pretty much, lol.
    Even if not amazingly blue, the coasts of the PNW are incredible for example. We’re considering relocating there eventually as the wife is tired of the non stop heat and wants more mountain and nature access, while I crave coastal views - not necessarily Miami Beach stuff, but coastal views where at the end of a day I can sit and watch a coastal sunset with incredible natural views while smoking a bowl (which is legal there)... but that’s just me!

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No doubt Galveston has a deep and storied history, especially pre-hurricane. My parents had a house in Sea Isle and we spent most summers there as they were self-employed. Probably went to Jungle Surf 400 times, tons of trips to Sea Arama, Colonel Bubbies etc and spent most of my days on the beach (always having to remove tar from my Feet with baby oil lol) or fishing in the bay with my father so always have a soft spot for Galvez.

that said, it has arguably the ugliest beaches in America and I can understand why people would prefer pretty much any other beach in the country. But it’s better than nothing!

arkoe, TWS1986 and Xerobull like this.
  10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think Galveston is under-rated. Very nice for a week or two a year. We usually rent a house down at Beach Town on the extreme East end. They keep the beach raked and nice, plus the access is a little more difficult for the general public so its like a "semi private" beach.

Also really close to downtown and the strand, so restaurants and stuff are easy access.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Please go to all beaches other than Galveston... please avoid coming here and possibly considering it underrated.

Thanks!

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Don’t share this info lol.

Seriously though, I go to that area every time and it’s excellent.

FranchiseBlade and TWS1986 like this.
  13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

You own Nick's Place on the Seawall don't you? ;)

14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Enjoyed my weekend get away to Galveston. Brown water and all lol. I know Galveston gets hated on for that, but I enjoyed it. Maybe I'll alternate between there and South Padre. Weather was beautiful this past weekend. Didn't get a chance to go to Gaidos but maybe next time. Gonna have to start doing some weekend trips more often. We had a nice stay at an Airbnb off 19th. Close to everything.

#94 TWS1986, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    FranchiseBlade and Xerobull like this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Definitely. I worked as a doorman on The Strand for the Yaga's group during big events, and when the people in line would b**** about cover and complain that they were locals, I would quiz them on Galveston history, like who was the mafia family (Maceo), what was the local Native American tribe (Karankawas), who was the famous pirate who had a fort there (Jean Lafitte). I would say maybe 5% got one question right. I also owned a pre-1900-storm house on the East End there and found bones in the wall.

I love the place and want to live there again when my kids are all growed-up. Walking around the East End and admiring restored Victorian homes during a quiet day or evening is just amazing. I'm waiting for a storm so I can buy another house down there on the cheap.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If I could I would "like" this post twice. That's awesome.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We are strongly considering buying a condo at the Galvestonian when we retire. I've always been a west end guy, but the last few years we've gone east and stayed there. We LOVE it there. So quiet and peaceful. Private beach. Very secluded.

Er, uh...I mean...yeah, Galveston is a dump compared to other beaches. The water is BROWN!!! Please go somewhere else this summer. Stay away.

MadMax, Nick, FranchiseBlade and 2 others like this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

From an investment perspective, a condo is almost the worst type of property you can buy, after time shares.

That said, if you like the community, no yard-work and stringent rules (which can be a pro) I would say go for it.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I liked the drive.

20. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Plan to go to Galveston this weekend.