1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Friedman] News And Notes: Asik Returns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lfw, Oct 18, 2013.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Terrance Jones?

2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I dont think parsons is dime a dozen and thats where we disagree.

Also we have the luxury of both asik and parsons.

I think in the end though parsons will mean more to the rockets than asik will. Sure if I was starting a team of meaningful sure an inside guy is important. But thats not the argument here. This is not the expansion draft or a fantasy team.

Do I think asik is important? Yes of course. I just think parsons has more potential to impact the game in relation to the howard/harden tandem.

What is your stance on twin towers?

Clearly you like asik but do you like him enough to play with howard?

For the record I love the idea of asik and howard playing heavy minutes.
    State you stance on twin towers.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

If Parsons was drafted by the the 76ers or the Magic or the Cavs, he'd be Omri Casspi. And if Omri Casspi was drafted by the Rockets, we'd be talking about him like he's our 3rd star(which is just as ridiculous).

Parsons last year wasn't even the second option, Jeremy was. Even though Parsons scored more points, he had a lower usage, and accounted for less total points for the team - Jeremy created for himself and others. This year, Parsons will play an even lesser role - 4th option. Really, it is a misnomer to call him an 'option', he is actually an outlet just like Beverley or Garcia. Our actual 'option's create for people: Harden, Dwight, Jeremy - and the others finish.

90% of Chandlers points last year were spoon fed by Harden and Jeremy, expect that to go up to 99% this year with the addition of Dwight.

Nothing wrong with that. If he improves his defense, then he will be very useful. But he is the definition of a 'role player'.(which is fine)

Omer is a role player as well, but his role is 10 times more vital as a rim protector/defensive anchor. His impact on the game can't be compared with Parsons.

4. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

There is no real debate on #3, and it's not even remotely close from #3 to #4. Posts like yours are why Parsons is so overrated on this board.

5. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

My boy Asik needs more love from the media.

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

No practice footage?

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

So post your list and stop whining about mine. I said 3-6 were debatable. You say not and I am going to assume you put #3 Lin?

Fine and you could easily argue asik is #3. I dont think there is a right answer per se but I definitely think highly of parsons.

Its a good debate that will come out of wash by end of year. My prediction is parson takes it to next level and it becomes clear cut #3.

8. loveofthegame44

Can Dwight hold Dirk? That would be fun to watch.

9. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

If you were to predict who will have more impact or create more wins based on last year's performance, the top 2 of Harden and Dwight can be interchangeable and debatable. Asik is a close third. Anyone else after that is debatable. If you were to place anyone else on the top 3, even though it's an opinion, it will cause reactions you are receiving now.

If you were to validate your opinion of Parsons based on salary, then you have a solid point.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

For me its the chemistry. Parsons has that with team and has nothing to do with salary.

these are intangibles that dont show up on salary sheet or x and y axis.

I validate it by saying next to harden and howard parsons looks pretty damn good. AND I am down with adding asik and Lin.. sound pretty damn nice. We can have our cake and eat it too by playing Asik heavy minutes.

Also parsons recruited howard so its possible that without parsons work we wouldnt have howard.

Still though, Im just not sure I include parsons now in any deals with other teams. Hes not untouchable but nearing that. Much more so than asik and lin. And maybe thats mainly because lin and asik have higher salaries.. but parsons has got to be the most untouchable 800k player in long long time.

CH would have you believe thats probably not worth dried dog sh***it either but it is.

11. steady

steady Member

Chandler does seem to have elite off ball skills though, and his ability to play with fast pace and complement players like Harden (and Lin) seems unusually high. There was a great video posted by GIGO about Larry Bird's Celtics in another thread, which had the line, you have to have great passers, but you need good targets too.

12. rajon

rajon Member

Is LP including preseason now?

13. afk

afk Member

Videos, or it never happend. :grin:

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes, true. Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell, Bird teammate ex-Rocket was one of the most efficient players all time (number ONE in NBA history in true shooting.) Its what allowed Kevin Mchale to come off the bench. He obviously fit in their scheme as target and finisher.

But Maxwell wasnt in discussion as their best player. He was never an All Star. They had 4 Hall of Famers. Was comfortably 5th best, 3rd/4th on lesser team. But guys like him are important (was Finals MVP once, over the Rockets)

Might be somewhat similar comparison of value with Maxwell - McHale and Parsons - Asik. Parsons is supreme glue guy better than most guys at. Asik is still more impactful player and therefore better.
    (Maxwell left Celtics and they still won another title without him and with Bill Walton their "Asik" instead)

1 person likes this.
  15. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

I would rather go with Lin-Garcia(Parsons/Casspi)-Harden-Haword-Asik; in the thought of DH/OS plays expands their energy more on defense.

Man, we go could go on so many different option, with DH/OA played as 50/50 (XandO) and then we get Harden, Parsons and Bev in with them.

We have sound bench, to go as deep as we want....cant wait for the experiments

16. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

why everyone suggesting Asik at 4 when he's on the court with Howard? :confused:

i think DH12 is more of a pf than Asik, if they play together. Asik is slower and more of a traditional back to basket player. Howard, not only can run with the guards/forwards, he probably guards pf better too.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If you look at Asik's videos defending the perimeter,you will see that he is effective at it. Howard is quicker and faster,but he is better at guarding the paint.
    I believe Howard is more likely to get into foul trouble and possibly even getting hurt if he goes around chasing jump shooting 4's.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Smith doesn't stop people. It just seems like it because they don't score but instead go to the foul line. He is a terrible defender and is not smart as you said in the team scheme.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Only really want Asik on the floor with Howard against teams playing bruisers, like Indy or Memphis. This talk about playing Asik or Howard against teams with highly mobile pfs doesn't make a lot of sense, you'd tire them out and make their center minutes less productive for what?

Heck we played Chandler effectively against Dirk last year, half the reason his defense slipped was because we used him maybe a bit too liberally (one game Dirk, the next Tony Parker).

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

smith a better defender than asik? :confused: who the hell paid u to say that? hook a borhter up