1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Friday I'm In Love: Numbers the Documentary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Feb 21, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Anyone heard anything about this documentary? It was supposed to be out last year, but it looks like they haven't done much except collect kickstarter money (50 grand). The website has more info about the project -- I hate the name -- The Cure was never in heavy rotation at Numbers especially 'Friday i'm in Love' (maybe a dark one like Desolation Street). Should have named it While the City Sleeps after the classic song that was only ever really played at Numbers. Seems like @Batman Jones might possibly have heard some info on this project. Anything Batman?

[​IMG]

THE PROJECT
    Friday I'm in Love started two years ago with the desire to extensively document the history of Numbers Nightclub in Houston, Texas.

I approached this project as a 24 year old beloved fan of Numbers, with a genuine curiosity and respect for that which came before me. A year into research and interviews, I met the guys behind Dinolion- an independent Houston based film company. We started our collaboration of Friday I'm In Love, with the common bond that Numbers had in some way greatly impacted all of our lives.

Here are some questions that guide this documentary:
    In what ways did Numbers impact music, community and culture in the past 36 years?

Who are the people that have contributed to the identity of the club and what is their legacy?

What are those specific stories and experiences that make Numbers the unique place it is?

With a lot of love and the help of a dedicated crew, I have started to answer these questions and many more by forming relationships with the community, conducting interviews, doing endless amounts of research and gathering archival pictures/media.

We passionately believe in the historical preservation of this special institution, and are choosing to start this campaign so that we can push Friday I'm In Love to the next level. This story is vital for so many who grew up in Houston, and we need the support of as many Numbers lovers out there to help us reach our goal!

Friday I'm In Love crosses generations to explore the extraordinary history of Numbers Nightclub, a counter-cultural landmark in the Montrose neighborhood of Houston. The club was originally sanctioned as a dinner theater in 1975 and reinvented later as a gay disco opening as "Numbers" in 1978.

Numbers eventually progressed into the '80s as an all encompassing music venue and dance club, becoming a meeting place of various sub-cultures and genres. Throughout the '80s and '90s, Numbers became increasingly known as a home for live alternative music with talent spanning from local bands to national and international touring acts.

From new wave to industrial, from the obscure to the iconic, Numbers is responsible for exposing generations of people to an array of music. The eclectic soundtrack of Numbers continues to attract an equally eclectic audience who gather weekly to dance and celebrate under a “come as you are” attitude. Friday I'm In Love will uncover the history of the building while telling a story of survival, community and unmatched authenticity.

Told through the voices of those who have helped envision Numbers in its many chapters, as well as the many who continue to cultivate and expand its legacy; this love letter of a documentary will pay tribute to nearly 40 years of people, music and memories.

2. Buck Turgidson

Wow. That's just wow.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Desolation Street? Think you mean Fascination Street.

Yes, they played a lot of Cure at #'s, but mostly pre Disintegration or maybe I just quit going after 1990 as bigger and newer clubs were opening everywhere on Richmond at that time, and I loved Red Square. They did play an ass load of Depeche Mode though. I still remember the first time I heard How Soon Is Now and discovered the Smiths at #'s and at Power Tools. I also became pretty good friends with Bruce and got moved to the front of the line for the Morrissey appearance, lots of half off DJ Discs at Record Rack (Damn I wish I still had those) and free tix and backstage passes to shows. I still remember witnessing one of the nastiest group sex scenes backstage involving Kula Shaker. Weird ****ing guys.

4. KingCheetah

Ha, yep I missed that one though Desolation Street sounds a little like a Cure song. I still don't like the name they chose for the doc such a cheesy song.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Super interested in seeing this but I don't have any info on it. The last time I was at Numbers was for a benefit (1993 or 94) at which all hot local bands performed 80s covers and gave all the money to AIDS causes. I'd been living upstairs at a punk club then (Catal Huyuk, formerly the Axiom) and booking it and was occasionally singing a song or two with a house band we had there that played every Monday called Bloodfart. We had $1 admission and $1 Busch beer so people showed up with $20 and got absolutely wasted.

Bloodfart was a super group containing members from every local band pretty much but that only played covers and never rehearsed. It was the most fun night of the week, every week. Two full drum kits, like 10 guitars, horns, strings, so many singers... There were always at least 20 people on stage and they were continually blowing the power out so I often watched right next to the breaker box so I could reset it every time they blew it out.

At the benefit Bloodfart were the headliners after about 15 other, more popular bands. And Numbers gave us all we could drink, each of the band members. I was set to sing and play guitar on I'll Melt With You but by the time we were on deck I was blackout drunk. I distinctly remember waking up from a dream-like blackout in which 2,000 people were singing along to "I'll Melt With You" which I found wonderful until I realized I was the one on the mic singing lead vocals and playing guitar, both of which I am horrible at. Still, a heck of a memory.

But that's the only memory I have of ever being at Numbers. In those days, the days after I quit the punk club and moved out, I hung out at Rudyard's (enough that I received mail and phone calls there because I was there more often than home) or wherever my friends' bands were playing.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

While the City Sleeps or something else would be a million times better.

I love a few albums of The Cure. But yeah, not that song.

I saw Front 242 and other bands there. I was just trying to look up the dates of some of the shows. And of course Front 242 is playing there in a few weeks. I had no idea Numbers was still open.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I take that back the Front 242 show was September 2017.

I leave this year. Just because

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

They've been planning / working on this for a couple of years now - I've been waiting for it to be finished as well.

@Batman Jones I got kicked out of #'s once for handing out flyers for a rave with Mark that used to run Catal Huyuk - that Westheimer world is a small one.

Used to love #'s.

Went back to #'s on a Friday about 5yrs ago when I was in Houston for a weekend - hadn't been in a good 10yrs at the time and it was still the same. nothing changed except I didn't know anyone anymore. No Punk rock Jeff, No Angel at the coat check..etc. Still had fun with the music and my friends though.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if they were going to use a cure song they should have picked one from the era when they actually played numbers, not the summit!
    in between days
    close to me
    a night like this
    give me it
    play for today

i only had 4 years of going to shows in houston before i moved, but i saw some memorable shows there b/t 91-95. last time i was there was about 15 years ago - saw spiritualized and also a stereolab show around the same time. great place!

deschmog, sprawl, mike gunn, painteens - some great touring shows too - one that sticks out for me is brit shoegazers ride with this other band called pale saints who were awesome. the album they were touring on, in ribbons is one of my all time favorite records and i would have never heard of them if not for that show.

check them out if you are into that kind of music...they have more technical skill than most shoegaze bands and also write cool, slightly-off kilter songs with odd time signature shifts. and the dude singer sings like a girl.

sorry to derail...im not in pale saints. yeah numbers!

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Heck yeah man, I was @ that Ride Pale Saints show! Talked shop with their drummer for a good while, great to see they made a fan that night! For me it was seeing the church in 88 & 90 that gave me the bug for playing live music, life changing for sure!

jo mama likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

From about 86-91ish me and my friends lived at Numbers a couple of nights a week and Power Tools on their popular night for a while. Then after closing time it was on to Lizard Lounge until the sun came up -- ahhh those were some insane times. We'd hit some of the other hot spots but Numbers was definitely our place -- we knew so many people there it was like a big party every week.

gifford1967, DFWRocket and IBTL like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Friday nights are apparently old school night. Ive been meaning to check in. do it man

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

vlaurelio, Xerobull and peleincubus like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

When was Red Square a thing? I don't remember the year(s)?

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Went to #'s pretty much every weekend my senior year of high school. Spent a lot of time there between 96-2000. Lots of great memories.

peleincubus likes this.
  16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Man those would've been great shows to see. I still consider "Reptile" to be one of the greatest songs of all time. My first show was PIL w/ Flesh For Lulu in Nov '88. Busted my head open during the Cinco Dudes / Bayou Pigs / Pain Teens show there in '91.

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

That song is about seeing Bowie on acid. The 2nd show was much better with Patti Smith's drummer, J.D. Daughtery playing note perfect drums vs Richard Ploog's inconsistent tempos. Also recall seeing the replacements around this time, 88 and it was the loudest show I'd seen in such a small room.

18. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Didn't Nine Inch Nails play Numbers in 88 or 89 to promote Pretty Hate Machine? I was still too young to go but remember wanting to go.

19. KingCheetah

I saw the Under the Milky Way Tour (Peter Murphy opened) at the Colosseum wasn't that 1988 ? The Church just played in Austin about 6 months ago -- I had no idea and my buddy went and didn't say a word... I was so pissed I didn't hear about it. I have most of their new music and they are still really good.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

@the futants might have some info on this -- who was the DJ... NYC RICH or something like that played there as well.