1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

French to Ban women covering face

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sw847, May 19, 2010.

1. sw847

sw847 Member

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/world/3717917/Women-protest-as-French-Cabinet-gets-veil-ban-bill/

One runs her own company, another is a housewife and a third, a divorcee, raises her children by herself. Like nearly 2,000 other Muslim women who freely wear face-covering veils anywhere in France, their lives will soon change and they are worried.

On Wednesday, French Justice Minister Michele Alliot-Marie presented a draft law to the Cabinet banning Muslim veils that cover the face, the first formal step in a process to forbid such attire in all public places in France. It calls for euro150 ($NZ275) fines and, in some cases, citizenship classes for women who run afoul of the law.

The measure notably creates a new offense, "inciting to hide the face," and anyone convicted of forcing a woman to wear such a veil risks a year in prison and a euro15,000 ($27,477) fine, according to a copy of the text.

"Citizenship should be experienced with an uncovered face," President Nicolas Sarkozy told the Cabinet meeting, in remarks released by his office. "There can be no other solution but a ban in all public places."

Although the Interior Ministry estimates there are only 1,900 women in France who cover their faces with veils, the planned law would be another defining moment for Islam here as the nation tries to bring its Muslim population - at least 5 million, the largest in western Europe - into the mainstream, even by force of law.

The bill is to go before parliament in July, and despite the acrimonious debate that is sure to come, there is little doubt the measure will become law. Sarkozy, who says such veils oppress women, wants a law banning them on the books as soon as possible.

"If the law is voted, I won't take off my veil. ... No one will dictate my way of life" but God, said Najat, a divorcee, who gave her age as "45 plus." She was one of a half-dozen women who, in a rare move, met with reporters on Tuesday to express their worries about changes they say will impact their lives to the core.

Full articale can be viewed by the link.

Just wondering how you guys feel about it.

I am totally on board with woman rights and their freedom. But by making a law, wouldn't that violate religious rights and rights to freedom of expression?

Some of these woman actually willingly wear these veils. I feel that this is an racial discrimination move. I guess with the whole terrorism thing around the world against musilims nowadays, laws against the race can easily be passed. If it is an safety thing like how certain places (banks...) ban hats and facial covering clothing, I understand. Particularly if it is at certain major events. But an all out ban in public places? Is that neccessary. Also I don't buy into this law is about women's rights.

What you guys feel about this?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Shouldn't there be an exception for ugly ones?

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is some silly silly ISHT!!
    Ridiculous. . . .
    I guess If I where a ski mask . . I'm in trouble!

Rocket River

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Ugh. I'm not against fining for forcing someone to cover their face, but if they choose to do so because of their religion and/or beliefs, let them. Islamophobia is getting out of hand in France.

5. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Waiting for DaDakota and ATW to express their outrage of women being denied the choice to wear a veil...

1 person likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

interesting

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe France is offended by covered faces. Muslims should stop offending them so much.

8. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

If thats the case...then Muslims should be able to offend as much as they please in the name of free speech :mad: as according to ATD and DD

9. Mr. Clutch

Well if that's the case...then they shouldn't be allowed to cover their faces because it's offensive, according to SuperHighFly and Qazi.

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

This thread seems like it will get entertaining...

11. sw847

sw847 Member

lol

To me it is just a racist move.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Good move by France. The veil and the burkha are symbols of oppression of women.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Vary!!
    VARY INTERESTING!!

*grin* :p

Rocket River

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

15. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Nope...If anything they should be forced to cover their offensive faces :mad:

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Mathloom -- please feel free to school sir jackie chiles :rolleyes:

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yes, good move by France taking freedoms away.

Now these women will either be scorned by their own, or fined and deported.

****ing Brilliant.

1 person likes this.
  18. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Pure ignorance.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Well...that's what they do in Muslim countries.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you wore a ski mask some places - a bank for instance - you probably would be.