1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

French Riots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 4, 2005.

1. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Not only are these rioters scumbag criminals, they are idiots. They're destroying their own neighborhoods and businesses. Even if they don't end up in jail, their homes are in worst shape than before. Stop burning down the local croissant shop and head down to the Eiffel tower or the Louvre to make a statement against western oppression. Symbolism is their bread and butter.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/ar...overty_despair_fuel_violent_unrest_in_france/

Mahmoud Khabou, 20, the jobless son of Algerian immigrants... But he knows who his heroes are. ''Osama bin Laden and Rodney King," he said, referring to the Al Qaeda leader and the African-American whose videotaped beating by Los Angeles police in 1991 spawned massive racial riots.

''One because he gives pride back to the Muslims," the young man asserted as he and a trio of friends stood near the charred ruins of a carpet shop. ''The other because he was just a poor man, a 'nobody man' of color, but he caused a great city to burn."

2. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Or, "I support our troops, but..."

If I hated Muslims, I would not have supported our military actions on their behalf in Somalia, Bosnia, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

3. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Someone needs to send FranchiseBlade over to Paris to give that nice young man a hug.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hahaha. Yeah that is what I've suggested be done. But I would definitely welcome a trip to Paris, even in these troubled times.

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Bring in the Military and start SHOOOOTING!

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I guess they wanted to be pro-active and start an urban renewal project in their neighborhood.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Just like we should have done in New Orleans?

Shot dead all the angry civillians?

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bruise his ass every time he jumped.

9. deepblue

deepblue Member

How can you compare those idiots who are setting cars/homes/shops on fire to the people in New Orleans?

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is comparing two situations of handling lawlessness.

11. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

You will only find algeriens in France and no where else in Europe, and almost every algeriens came to France after the war between Algeria and France ... Even before the war there was algeriens in France. So u can find 2,3 or even 4 generations of algerians over there!

Maroccans is a different story,u will find large groups of them in almost every europeen country but most of them are in France.

And I also would like to say that these riots has nothing to do with religion, is juste the media who tries to create something ...I live in Paris and I have alot of friends who comes from these areas and done som rioting and they haven't mention anything about religion ...Is just injustice.. U know all these people who's born here and the keep getting rjected by the society etc...

12. insane man

insane man Member

the point is that militaries aren't trained to control civilians. you can see that in iraq. they are trained to kill people and destroy things. and most militaries can do that fairly well.

however to control a riot you cna't just go killing people. hence the military isn't the best option.

13. deepblue

deepblue Member

Well, burning people's cars/houses will surely help their cause, never mind the damage were mostly to their own neighborhoods.

14. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

ok I can tell u that the first nights basically was because of anger of what happend to the young boys who died! but then when suburb after suburb began rioting a ''unprononced competition began'' between the suburbs because there's also much rivalry between these suburbs... And let not forget that the people doing this are very young not even 20 years old...

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Competition as in gang rivalries? I read that a significant driving force behind this are drug-dealing gangs the police has cracked down on the last few months.

16. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

Hmm I don't know if u can call it gang rivalries is more like people from the 93 area doesen't like people from the 94 ect.. example i if u go around with a shirt that say's 94 in a suburb in the 93 u can expect problem. But there's also rivalry between blocks. And u also hae the drug dealing that is growing I think... U know have people who's fighting for drug areas etc..

Just to explain thearea thing. The Paris area is divided in different departements. ยด75 is the post code for inner Paris then u have 7other pot code numbers around Paris .... U actually have different kind of criminality in every departement ... So u see that there's many problems even when there isn't riots andthat's also kind of scarring... I would also like to say that normally in France around 100 cars get burned per night. SO this car burning thing isn't something new over here

17. tigermission1

Unbelievable! Can you believe that the average unemployment rate among 25-and-under people in France is 25%?! That rivals figures from some Middle Eastern countries. :eek:

Moreover, unemployment is near 50% among the same age group in some of the poorest neighborhoods in France.

France's economy is really struggling and job creation is not keeping pace, those figures are extremely high for a supposed economic power in the world.

EDIT: I was digging around, and found this link which provides some stats for employment/unemployment among French youths. No wonder an increasing number of their younger people are looking to migrate elsewhere (to Canada especially)

http://hei.unige.ch/~wyplosz/dusseldorf.pdf#search='france%20unemployment%2025'

18. tigermission1

Umm...Why, is it your guys' favorite past time or something? :confused:

19. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Just goes to show you when you have a crappy immigration policy.

Maybe the U.S. should take heed of what's happening in France.

20. deepblue

deepblue Member

Two different stories, people in New Orleans were facing a natural disaster.

Back on topic.

FranchiseBlade, you know sometimes reading your posts can be pretty frustrating.

It seems in your effort to be overly PC, you go out of your way to find reason for these rioters. They are the victims, because they are facing all kinds of injustices, therefore they have reasons to riot, to burn cars, to burn houses.

I am sure a lot of criminals have been treated unfairly sometimes in their life, that doesn't justify their criminal activities. How about just calling these kids for what they are: delinquents, punks, hooligans that were not raised properly by their parents, that were not taught to respect other people's property, to respect the law of the land.

Sure those people are facing some difficult situations, its tough for them to get a good education, get a good job. But that doesn't mean it's not doable, burning cars doesn't really help your cause.

You are just telling them "we understand your actions, your are the victims, you are being discriminated against, if you don't work hard and study hard and just waste your life on the streets, we will understand." I consider that a form of discrimanation as well.