1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Montrezl Harrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Von Rafer, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I was a little confused as to why he wasn't given a chance against the wizards. We definitely needed a boost of energy, and were having trouble securing the rebounds.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Same here. I'm impatient about KJ and Harrell not getting minutes, but there's plenty of time. If I'm being reasonable, it's good that these guys are brought along slowly and given a chance to familiarize with the team and the scheme very slowly.

These two will be in the rotation by the end of the season though. I am, however, concerned about Harrell and MDA meshing considering they're both very temperamental.

RudyTBag likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel the exact same way Mathloom. To quote JVG I really believe we need "knifefighters" out there with Harden.

James will get his, but we need the spiritual leaders out there that will bring the fire and the identity we need to compete with the big boys. Trez brings it man and I really hope they don't give up on him at PF.

Pen15clubber, D-rock and Mathloom like this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Our interior D sucks now and I think Motezl might be the worst of the 3. I don't think we can't afford to play him more, we'll give up 150!! :eek:

kevtse likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Coaches just have a different mindset than the GM or us as a fan, especially in an environment where playoffs are expected. MDA is still experimenting with lineups, albeit not with Harrell, but I agree that they'll carve out a role.

Harrell and KJ just need to adopt the mindset that defense and rebounding will write their ticket on this team. Offensively they just need to keep in motion, cut hard, set good screens, and be ready for the lob as MDA's offense thrives on easy baskets.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Free Montrez Harell so he can make Ryan Anderson obsolete

7. dmoneybangbang

Does Harrell have a chance at shooting better beyond the 3 point line?

8. thegreatdantoni

more montrezl

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is improving. I like his energy and activeness.
    Sometimes that is enough

Rocket River

vator likes this.
  10. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Harrell goes to basket with authority. It'd be nice for Harden to have both him and Capela on the court as options for the PNR.

11. PeppermintCandy

I doubt that happens much as their games are more similar than complementary. Neither is known for their outside shot, so they're usually paired with a shooting big in Anderson or Dekker. In fact, D'Antoni seems to like pairing up offensive and defensive players for the 1/2 and 4/5 positions.

Harrell I think has been most effective when the team plays small ball against smaller front courts, such as Horford and the Celtics. I'd also like to see how he would fare as a PF with Motiejunas at center. That is, if DMo ever gets on this roster.

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Carl Landry part 2.

DD

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If/when DMo comes back, I really don't see why Nene should play at all.

Getsum64 likes this.
  14. PeppermintCandy

I think with the young bigs playing well so far, D'Antoni may be giving Nene as much rest as possible in the early part of the season. I look for him to play a bigger role for the team after the All Star break, and then we'll see his true worth.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He's got a 7'4 3/4 wing span and is the most athletic front court player on this rocket team.

DonKnock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  16. bongman

bongman Member

Based on the way we play, we always have the 4 spot pull their 4 away from the paint by positioning behind the arc in order for those pick&rolls/oops to have room to operate. Neither Harrell or Capela has shown they can be decent 3 pt shooters.

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Not really.... Landry is no where near as long as Harrell. Harrell should be able to convert his game to Deandre Jordan given his overall length and athleticism.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Harrell>>>DivaMo

19. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

What happened to Nene? Month ago he was a consensus starting C in most eyes, then there was a rumor he had personal issue and since then he's like our worst big? Don't we have Lucas to help players overcome "head problems"?

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He's been out with knee soreness

Jayzers_100 likes this.