1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LCII, Nov 16, 2012.

1. whitedog324

whitedog324 Member

Or maybe Rockets could get a coach who knows how to utilize him.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Regardless he needs to glue his ass to the gym and improve his shooting.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Apparently someone who was at the game said he was knocking down shots in shoot around. They just aren't falling in games. He just needs to keep being aggressive and attacking the rim. He doesn't always have to take the 3 can pump fake & drive and go for the and 1. I really hope Sampson keeps the ball in his hands for the LAL game because it is clear that that is when Lin is at his best & most aggressive.

4. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

That guy is a troll. He's either pretending to be an LOF or he's the worst kind of LOF imaginable.

As for Lin's shooting, I'm not worried about it. I think if we let him keep playing with freedom, his shot will come back. Truth is he probably needs a game where he drives like 15 times to the basket, he'll make a few and his confidence will return.

For now I'm more than happy to just have him run the offense and let Harden focus on being the pure scorer that he is.

5. Allegro

Allegro Member

Absolutely. Assists since iso-Beard-ball started: Lin 45, Harden 28.

Lin has maintained the nearly 2-to-1 assist advantage over Harden despite having the ball far less in the halfcourt.

So it's not even close: Lin is hugely better than Harden at making plays and running a decent offense.

6. plates300

plates300 Member

Offense should always be initiated with Lin. I don't mind Harden handling the ball every now and then but he has a tendency to dribble and jack up a 3 with plenty of time left on the shot clock. So far, all the good shots we have gotten in the half court offense have started with a Lin pick and roll. Stick with what works.

7. just a word

just a word Member

Which is amazing to think about given the context that Harden's playmaking abilities are highly lauded.

8. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

The hell? Calderon is the definition of a passing PG.

9. Allegro

Allegro Member

Good point. I've always thought that Lin's floor generalship was his greatest talent, above even the scoring heroics of Linsanity.

Several months ago I began comparing Lin to Jason Kidd, and you know what? The two are very similar in many of the basic skills, such as defense, rebounding, and passing -- and non-shooting :grin:

Lin's career may end up like Kidd's, maybe at a slightly lower level.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Oh Lord. I'm not going to read any more Lin threads.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Good.

12. Allegro

Allegro Member

Actually, I mean "several months before the Knicks signed Jason Kidd".

13. Allegro

Allegro Member

When Jason Kidd signed with the Knicks, he was very loudly saying how much fun it'll be to mentor Lin. So I think Kidd was seeing the many similarities in their games.

I have no idea what you think of Kidd, but I would trust his evaluation of potential talent over yours any day.

14. pnr

pnr Member

It shows the versatility of Lin's game that he has been compared to so many PGs. First it was Nash, then Tony Parker, now Rondo and Kidd. I really don't think we know what type of PG Lin is yet and it's going to be fun to see what type he develops into.

15. Allegro

Allegro Member

Yes, it'll be a lot of fun to see how Lin develops. He already has at least one elite skill: playmaking. Last season, he had 8.3 assists per 36 minutes, which ranked him above Kyle Lowry (7.4) and Goran Dragic (7.2). It also ranked him over Jason Kidd's first year (8.2)!

Lin should be even better this year, if the rockets ever let him play PG.

16. awarde2

awarde2 Member

Actually, i don't min Lin playing off the ball, because he is acquiring more skill sets, which will make him an all around athlete. He is already #49 in the NBA,holding his opponents to points. We all know that Lin is a play maker with superior court vision, but he is also becoming known as a tough defender. Not many PG's in the league can say that. When he blocked Lebron James, DWade, and stripped the ball from Ray Allen, smooth. None of the NBA agencies re reporting that, but i bet coaches viewing films noticed it. So Jlin do your thang:grin:

17. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Maybe Linsanity was just a flash in the pan and this is the real Jeremy Lin?

18. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

If he really is knocking down shots in shoot around, maybe there's something going mechanically wrong between the catch and when he shoots. By that I mean when he catches and then brings the ball up into his shooting motion.

19. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Players typically do worse when their usage is increased by team needs and they get exposed. Jeremy's current problems are the opposite: his usage has plummeted because the team doesn't want him to attack and be the playmaker.

He's still doing well in a lot of stat categories, and his defense has been outstanding so far. His shooting woes suggest that he's been marginalized in the team's system and forced to take shoot in ways that don't play to his strengths.

With more experience and no Carmelo and Amare to shoot the ball instead, Jeremy's FGAs has dropped substantially from 14.7 per 36 last season to 10.7 per 36 this year. He has the 6th or 7th highest usage rate on this current Rockets team, below Omer Asik. Seriously, what the hell. Morey signed the guy to be a scorer, and the coaches are using him less than the defensive-minded offensive scrub.

20. rokit

rokit Member

maybe,but he didn't play in a system where he's a number 1 option ever since melo came back. a lot of people underestimate the system. :)