1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agents.. ESPN on Stephen Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eyhab27, Mar 24, 2004.

1. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

What free agents do you think we should pursue this summer? I really think that Stephen Jackon would be a GREAT pickup... A rotation of Mobley/S Jackon/J Jackson is almost too good to be true. I would love to see this! Stephen is only 25 and still improving... ESPN wrote a great article on him..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1763790

2. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

uhh...no. He jacks up way too many shots. Although he does play some d.

3. dn1282

dn1282 Member

if you think francis makes boneheaded turnovers, wait till you see what stephen jackson brings to the table.

4. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I want Mehmet Okur. He is 6-11, 250, plays PF\C, is 24, rebounds, can shoot, block a shot, can score, and would be a upgrade from Cato. If the Rockets could move francis and Cato, and sign Okur and whatever they get in return for Francis and Cato, I think the Rockets would be in good shape next year. Stephen Jackson is not bad, but he takes way to many shots.

5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If we did pick up Stephen Jackson, can you imagine at certain times there would be Mark Jackson at PG, Jim Jackson at SG and Stephen Jackson at SF? Find a Jackson C and a Jackson PF and you have -- the Jackson Five.:cool:

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

I agree on Okur. He would be an almost perfect fit and would look awfully nice as our starting 4 next year.

Alas, Det is going to do their best to hang onto him and in the end, our MLE won't be enough to sway him.

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I would jack up a lot of shots if I was in his shoes. He plays for atlanta, and is looking to improve his value. Why the hell wouldn't he jack up shots?

8. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

He jacked up shots and committed stupid turnovers as a Spur too...

9. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I love to have him on the Rox. He can backup JJ and Cat. An instant offense with D off the bench. He can also start and had the experience of playing alongside a big man. Then I want to get another PF (choose among Wallace, Okur, CAMBY (last option if we can't get a good one). At the PG (I want us to trade for Devin Harris, or get Stepp (I wonder if he could play D, but I heard that he can PASS), we need to develop a young one to grow with Yao. But for the worse, expect for Ward to be signed... If these things happens, what an offseason!

10. kountzer

kountzer Member

I agree with Da Wink. Steve Jackson would be a good addition. The last time I saw S. Jackson play in person was at a high school playoff game in '95, over in Deer Park, Tx.

~ Kountzer ~

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

beware of Stephen Jackson (I actually brought him up a few weeks ago - but have since changed my mind)

I am a roto geek - and when the Hawks traded away have thier team I picked up Jackson and have never regretted it (since he is all the Hawks have). I have NBA league pass and watch teams with my players (like Jackson) and I really feel that he is playing for a huge contract to make up for what he lost not signing with SA last year.

He will try to command big money since he is putting up huge stats (but what else do they have over there?!?)

as for Okur, I am not high on him either - as long as we have Cato - I would prefer to get a PF/SF combo player rather than a PF/C combo-type player.

just some thoughts from someone who has watched too much basketball this year already

12. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

didn't you guys hear? stephen wanted to be in atlanta not for the team but for the city of atlanta..san antonio offer him 4 million to play for them but he choose atlanta instead for 1 million...and san antonio is so close to his hometown of port aurthur too...so i don't think he'll be leaving atlanta ..unless atlanta don't want to resign him

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BRENT BARRY with the MLE.

Rasheed Wallace with our 6.9M TE.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I think if we could get Okhur and brent Barry, the team would take giant stes towards legit contention. Okhur is the real deal, a big man who can run the floor, play defense and hit the jumper. Brent Barry is your classic big PG who would be able to move SF to the 2-Spot where he belongs. Barry's an unrestricted FA so the Rox will probably have to do some sort of sign and trade in order to get him as I believe we're over the cap. Okhur I think might be a restricted FA, someone let me know if I'm wrong on that one, so he might be even harder to get though the Pistons seem committed to maker a run at resigning Sheed after the season, so it depends on where Sheed signs in my opinion. If he re-ups with Det, they'll let Okhur go, but if Sheed goes for the mid exemption with NYK, then Det will do everything they can to sign Okhur. I think realistically in ordert to get one of these two guys, we'll have to say bye to either Cat or Cato or both, maybe MoT can be shipped also but unless his contract has only one year left on it, he's unmovable. I hope the Rox dont try to trade SF, hes the true leader of this team and it would suffer without his presence around IMO.

15. alain076

alain076 Member

from http://nbadraft.net/egger004.asp

heres a preliminary list from nbadraft.

pick your favourites and dream guys.

1. Rasheed Wallace 6-11 PF Pistons (29) -- Sheed is playing mercenary for Detroit right now. He's had on and off the court problems, but he is as talented and skilled as almost anyone around. 6'11, with plenty of scoring moves on the block, 3 point range on his J, and with his long arms, plays excellent defensive and gives solid rebounding when he's focused. Playing alongside the hard working Ben Wallace these next few months may rub off on Sheed, and in all likelihood, he'll want top stay in the big man deprived East, where Jermaine ONeal is pretty much his only comparable post player. He's by far the most talented player (other than possibly Kobe Bryant) to be a free agent this summer, it's a question of how much his attitude will hurt his wallet. He's been endlessly crucified on national TV by the ever annoying Bill Walton, however look for Sheed to get the last laugh with the Pistons in the Finals and Sheed cashing in on a huge deal in the summer.

2. Kenyon Martin 6-9 PF Nets (26) restricted -- The former #1 pick of the Nets is coming into his own as a player. He's still rather young, just ending his rookie deal, and is becoming close to but not quite a 20-10 guy. But a 17-8 guy, to go along with a couple of blocks, a few steals, and other good play. K-mart is becoming a star player on his own, he's not a superstar, like #1 on this list, but he's a good young player who appears to be hitting his prime years. It would be a mistake for him to leave, as he works exceptionally well with a great passer, and the Nets have the leagues best in Kidd.

3. Mehmut Okur 6-11 PF Pistons (24) -- Who you ask? A 7' Turk with 3 point range, who hits the glass hard, plays strong post D, and can block shots well. Detroit has #2 pick Darko Milicic, so one wonders just how big an offer they make to keep the developing Okur, who has become an excellent frontcourt compliment for Ben Wallace, especially if someone makes a big push for him. He has shown a lot of skills in his two years in the league, and a 7' who has been steadily improving is going to be a very hot commodity this summer. They could look to sign and trade, but can't resign both he and Rasheed, so someone's going to pick up a talented big man this summer.

4. Stromile Swift 6-9 PF Grizzlies (24) restricted -- The former #2 pick in the draft has not exactly lived up to that lofty status, but he has begun to play well. He's long, and can jump like few others, which allows him to be a great rebounder and shotblocker. He is still just 24, and has been showing signs of coming out from under Gasol's shadow. A fresh start could launch his career to a whole other level.

5. Quentin Richardson 6-6 SF Clippers (23) restricted -- Q has become a much hotter commodity than his former teammate Darius Miles, and deservedly so. Miles has talent, especially of the run-jump variety, but his basketball acumen is very suspect. Richardson has skills, and basketball sense. He's a smart player, and one of the best rebounding G's in the game. He can hit 3's, and is a solid physical presence for the Clippers. He has been the NBA's best 6th man for them, and now has shown himself very comfortable in a starting role as well. The only thing that keeps Richardson from being higher is the Clippers' right to match any offer. They surprisingly did it for Elton Brand AND Corey Magette, can Donald Sterling spend two years in a row? Doubtful, but he may just take a one year tender and become unfettered in the 2005 summer.

6. Manu Ginobili 6-6 SG Spurs (26) -- A winner. A champion in Europe, in international competitions, and now in the NBA. He'll get good money this summer. San Antonio knows what they've got, and will not let him get away easily. But, Manu is a solid rebounder, good scorer, and has a solid handle with excellent passing skills. He's also among those battling for the title of league's second best perimeter defender behind Ron Artest, so for the Spurs to hold on to him, they will have to hold off competition, and probably some high priced deals.

7. Carlos Arroyo 6-2 PG Jazz (24) -- John Stockton's understudy has been one of the big keys to Utah's solid season. He has shown the ability to score, and pass. He's coming on strong, and has been the backcourt force, alongside AK47 in the frontcourt, leading the suprising Jazz to a possible playoff spot. He has admirably filled the shoes of the irreplacable John Stockton, and at age 24, after his first as a starter, he will get plenty of interest from teams this summer.

8. Hedo Turkoglu 6-9 SG Spurs (24) restricted -- Like Okur, he's a tall man from Turkey who can shoot from deep. Like Ginobili, he's a solid perimeter ballhandler for the Spurs. The 6'9 former King has a wide array of skills. He can shoot from deep, handle and finish at the rim, rebounds well, has some solid defensive skills, and can pass well. Turkoglu is one of the more talented Euros to come into the league the last few years. He could be very highly sought after this summer, or he may just receive luke warm interest. He has received sporadic time in Sacramento, and in San Antonio, and had several various injury problems which all may factor into keeping him from being shown much money, but when given minutes (and he's starting for the Spurs right now), he has shown skills few others on the planet posses, and could be a real big time signing.

9. Jamal Crawford 6-6 SG Bulls (23) -- A guy who has finally shown the reason for all the hype this year. Crawford has had an inconsistent season, but when hot, he has played at a very high level, and as a young player in his first full season as a starter, inconsistency can be expected. The fact remains that Crawford will be one of the more sought after FAs this summer; he probably will not get a max deal, but look for a lot of teams to go after a 6'6 lanky combo G with great handle and range on his shot.

10. Brent Barry 6-6 SG Sonics (32) -- A solid veteran who has become a consumate team player, and still has several good years left. The former Dunk Champion has been manning the PG position for Seattle since Gary Payton was dealt for Ray Allen, and done very well. He can score, can handle, can pass, and can become a free agent this summer. Expect a lot of people to try and convince the veteran to join them. Was offered an extension by Seattle which he turned down.

11. Greg Ostertag 7-2 C Jazz (30) -- A big body. One of the better defensive big men around, but he's had his share of problems injury wise, and his offense leaves a lot to be desired. At 30, he won't get big offers, but his defensive skills, and the severe lack of quality size in the NBA will lead him to being courted by several teams.

12. Chris Mihm 7-0 PF/C Celtics (24) -- 7' with shot-blocking skills, stout rebounding, and range on his J. He's been sporadic for both Cleveland and Boston, but can put up decent numbers when he gets minutes. A guy who can become a valuable backup for someone, or maybe even gets an owner enamored with him, and garners a solid deal. Not much, but not bad either, and better than a lot of other Caucasian big men.

13. Keon Clark 6-11 PF Suns (28) -- He's been out of sight, and out of mind, but the 7' jumping jack with a condor wingspan can rebound and blocks shots extremely well. His injury may keep him from being a hot commodity again his summer, but the PF can make a real impact on a team when healthy.

14. Deshawn Stevenson 6-5 SG Magic (22) restricted -- A former prep-to-pros guy, and the shortest high schooler to make the jump so far. Stevenson has shown flashes of good scoring ability this year. Keep in mind, he's just 22 and should be a college senior in the draft this year. He won't garner too much attention, but may get a few offers.

15. Darius Miles 6-9 SF Blazers (22) restricted -- A great athlete, but can he ever develop basketball skills? He has no jump shot, doesn't shoot FT's well, commits too many turnovers, and has had constant mental lapses defensively. After 4 years in the league and still laking a jumpshot, one has to wonder if he'll ever acquire one. Someone will take a chance on him, no doubt, but will he make it worthwhile?

16. Gordon Giricek 6-8 SF Jazz (25) -- A solid player in Orlando, and has really blended well into Utah as a scorer with Harpring injured. Not a stud starter, but more than capable as a solid role player.

17. Etan Thomas 6-10 PF Wizards (25) restricted -- Someone who has always reminded me of Antonio Davis. He's wide, 6'9, and a physical guy who can block shots. He's not much offensively, but he can be a valuable guy off the bench defensively. He's done very well in limited time in Washington this year.

18. Vlade Divac 7-0 C Kings (35) -- Vlade is still among the better C's in the game today, but his age and questions over how much longer he lasts persist. Getting anything in free agency is not helped by the fact that he's a chain smoker and could be pushing 40, as there are doubts about his listed age. There are rumors that Vlade will go back to play European ball next season.

19. Keyon Dooling 6-3 PG Clippers (23) restricted -- A young PG in Clipperland. Marko Jaric seems to have the PG slot shored up, so Dooling is expendable. He's shown some skills, but had some problems as well, may get a decent offer or two, but he's not getting any major offers.

20. Morris Peterson 6-7 SF Raptors (26) restricted -- Has shown himself to be a solid backup wing in Toronto. Good deep range, and decent defensively. Solid role player.

Honorable mention:

Rodney White (23)
    Donnell Harvey (23)
    Dion Glover (25)
    Eric Williams (31)
    Charlie Ward (33)
    Stanislav Medvedenko (24)
    Rasual Butler (23)
    Robert Traylor (26)
    Ron Mercer (27)

Player Option Guys

1. Kobe Bryant 6-7 SG Lakers (26) -- The wonderchild has said all season how he's not leaving the Lakers, but will he? Is there a better fit than Hollywood for him? Does it get any easier than having the Big Fella in the middle? But Kobe and Shaq are far from best friends, and Kobe keeps hinting that he'll test the waters. Denver is making room, and Atlanta, and Phoenix as well. The Clippers could be an option, possibly in a deal for Corey Magette and/or Quentin Richardson. Which would allow Kobe to keep his home, but get away from Shaq at the same time. Memphis has been mentioned by Kobe, because of his relationship with GM Jerry West. But they would have to pull a sign and trade to get him. Phoenix or the Clippers seem most likely if Kobe is serious about laving the Lakers, but there will be plenty who desire his services. Kobe can't get nearly the same money due to cap resrictions if he leaves LA, so how badly doea he want out of there?

2. Antoine Walker 6-9 SF Mavericks (28) -- Walker appears to have finally turned a corner in his game. He still shoots too much, and turns it over, but he's become a team first player, with more consistency with his passing, and rebounding when his shots aren't falling. He fits well with Nellie's outscore them style, but the team really needs to step up it's defense somewhere. It'll be interesting to see just how much interest the oft-maligned Antoine gets this summer.

3. Steve Nash 6-3 PG Mavericks (30) -- The prolific Canuck can play. As good as it gets offensively with his passing, shooting, and handling at the PG position. His defense leaves a lot to be desired. He's 30, and that means entering the downside of a good career. Nash will have plenty of offers, but he fits so well in Dallas, and you know Cuban is gonna pay him. The team could probably use a strong, defensive minded PG, but Nash is too good to let go for nothing. He may look around, but doubtful he leaves Dallas.

4. Gary Payton 6-4 PG Lakers (36) -- There has been a recent rumor saying the Glove might opt out of his deal in LA. He and Kobe don't appear to be the best fit, nor Payton and the triangle offense. One would think if Kobe opts out, Gary is more likely to stay, and if Kobe stays, Gary is more likely to opt out. He's getting old, and not an elite PG like he used to be, but the Glove is still one of the better players around, and if he goes on the open market, expect plenty of GMs to make phone calls his way. If things dont work out with LA winning a championship, would GP consider another team for the same opportunity?

5. Latrell Sprewell 6-6 SG Timberwolves (34) -- He was jettisoned from Golden State. NY finally dealt him for a bigger SF, now he seems to have found a home next to KG and Sam Cassell. He's got the option to leave Minnesota, but it's hard to imagine a better place, or player, for Spree to finish his career competing for a ring than in Minnesota and alongside Garnett.

6. Erick Dampier 6-11 C Warriors (30) -- As we just said, Dallas needs to upgrade it's defense somewhere. Well here goes. Can Cuban find a way to pay all of these guys? Probably. And Dampier's rebounding and shot blocking presence is the precise thing Dallas has cried about lacking for the last few years. They won't be the only ones to come after Dampier though. He's had his share of injury problems, but finally remained healthy, and has been highly productive all season long. If he opts out, expect a lot of teams to come after him. New York, Dallas, and several others.

7. Marcus Camby 6-11 PF Nuggets (30) -- If Dallas misses on Dampier, another oft-injured big man in Camby may be option B. Camby is thinner, and maybe even less fragile than Dampier. New York loved him, and Dallas could use what Camby provides, when he's healthy that is. Expect him to recieve his share of offers as well.

8. Nick Van Exel 6-2 PG Warriors (33) -- with Speedy Claxton looking like the starting PG for Golden State next year, Van Exel will likely be moving elsewhere. Portland was said to be interested in trading for him, among several others as the trade deadline passed a few weeks ago. The streaky scorer will recieve interest from all over, but the offer remains to be seen. He's very valuable as a Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson type player for a championship contender, which likely means the mid level exemption. He's not quite a full time starter any more, but a lesser team may offer him. Taking a mid level exemption for a chance for a ring sounds like the likely route here.

9. Troy Hudson 6-2 PG Timberwolves (28) -- Hudson was a starter last year for Minnesota, and who knows how much he wants to be a starter again. With KG and the rest, he's got a spot on a championship contender for quite a while, but how much does someone offer him, and does he desire a starting role? Minnesota will want him back, but with Cassell, Spree, and KG, among others, they probably won't be the highest offer Hudson gets. He's not a championship caliber starter, but fits great up in Minnesota, it's a tough decision to make.

10. Karl Malone 6-9 PF Lakers (41) --If Kobe leaves, and Gary leaves, why would Karl stay? For the first time in his career, he's injured. He's got a career scoring crown to chase, and Shaq hogging the block. He could look to opt out, and look for a better place to attempt to win his ring and outscore Kareem.

16. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Rasheed + Barry would rock. But I think it's impossible to get both of them.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If the rockets were in need of a clutch closeout dagger type player, then Nick Van Exel would be a huge pickup for the rockets even at 33. Nick would give this team an attitude that they really lack.

18. haven

haven Member

Argh. No Steven Jackson. He's like Mobley with a worse attitude and more turnovers.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Camby was a Knick and he does what JVG wants from a PF when he plays.

Troy Hudson is a decent player that could replace SF if he was traded.

20. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

I don't know why Okur come to ROX. Does JVG love Okur? Maybe. But does Okur like to play for him? JVG loves retired NBA players so much. I don't think that many young players like to play for JVG.