1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agent Target: Fred VanVleet (UFA)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 18, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

3. mightybosstone

Is it? I don't think the average NBA fan would look at this roster with guys like VanVleet and Brooks and go "this is a serious playoff squad." I think it's just an acknowledgment that there are certain things the roster lacks right now as these young players grow that some veterans would help provide. They need guys with leadership qualities who've developed routines, do the little things well and know how to play winning basketball at the NBA level. FVV doesn't get you to the playoffs. But he helps the young guys develop the qualities they need to get there.

PeteChilcutBoss and cbass like this.
  4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Ayton sign and trade? Vet min? o_O

5. mightybosstone

That deal makes sense from a Dallas standpoint, but I don't get it for Phoenix. That starting 1-3 of Kyrie, Beal and Booker with three guards under 6'6" on the floor together who are average to below average defenders feels like a mistake. Even if they're all good with having fewer touches and can get along, that defense is atrocious on paper. It's asking a lot of Durant and whoever they get to play the 5 to be able to carry on that end of the floor.

6. AXG

AXG Member

Van Vleet makes no sense. Even if the Rockets move KPJ, they're still overloaded with guards. What they need are some bigs.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

The date is Jan 31st.

Kyrie Irving is out for personal reasons.
    Kevin Durant is out with a Grade 2 sprained ankle.
    Devin Booker is out with his second hamstring pull of the season.

Bradley Beal is the top value play of the day on DK with an insane usage.

Snow Villiers and kspires999 like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

VanVleet is a leader and this team needs one. Public opinion about this organization is so low right now that we need to overpay to attract veterans to Houston. VanVleet and Udoka will mentor our young guys who, up to this point, have been allowed to run wild with no real development plans.

You've gotta dig yourself out of a hole with signings like this. Two years is a great deal.

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Brook Lopez

AXG likes this.
  11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Just viewing from the perspective of FVV, put aside the Rockets and whatever we are doing. FVV has a chance to sign the max for two years and then hit the market again to get the same deal, maybe more, for 4 additional years as the NBA continue to build revenue.

In 6 years, FVV could easily have over 200+ million if his health holds up.

With the depth the Rockets have at PG, he wouldn't have to play heavy minutes as well.

It's a no-brainer IMO.

mtbrays and Mathloom like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

mikol13 likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I love this offer of a 2-year deal. Told you guys, no one is offering him a 4-year max or close to it.

The Raptors alleged/estimated offer of $130m for 4 years works out to $32.5m per season. I believe that means his starting salary would be around $29m (when our starting salary would be around $40m). Money now is worth more than money later.

If you take the difference in state income tax into consideration, we're basically offering to pay him over 70% of what the Raptors are offering him in half the time. I'm not sure I believe that's a good enough offer from the Raptors. Plus Ime Udoka vs Darko Rajaković. They'll have to give him closer to $150m I think.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

The discourse around Fvv here and on Rockets twitter has truly proven to me that people just don’t know ball at all. He’s a top 20 player and we would be lucky to get him even if it’s a short term overpay that does not affect our long term cap at all. Dillon Brooks and Kuzma are head scratchers but Fred van Vleet is a no brainer.

ipaman and Aruba77 like this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Apparently Claims folks don’t know ball but with the one accolade in his entire career a year ago with an all star appearance and claiming FVV is a top 20 player lol. He barely qualifies as a top 20 pg.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yeah. If you don’t think he’s a top 20 pg then you fking don’t know ball bro

ipaman likes this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Coming from someone who just called him a top 20 player and you’re the one talking and acting like they know ball. Yeah lmfao. The irony

perfect example of how CF’s is filled with posers and fakes with some of the worst bball iq around. FVV a top 20 player in the league isn’t even a conversation. It’s comedy

#217 YOLO, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  18. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Fvv is a top 20 player? Raptors fans don't even consider him an above average PG.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

The funny thing is, I understand Sengun fans getting annoyed at signing Lopez, I don’t agree with the complaints but at least there’s some basis, Sengun is going to the bench.

With Fvv, who the hell is complaining? Kpj is widely hated here and he’s the only one impacted. Amen Thompson? Whenever he is ready, Fvv would be a perfect partner, shoots 40% catch and shoot 3, 42% from the corners. Y’all realize he played SG next to Lowry before. People worried about the cap? We don’t have anywhere to spend that money until the kids need extensions in two years anyway and guess how long we are signing Fvv for? Yes $40m is an overpay if you don’t look at length of contract, but the team has a cap floor and if we don’t hit it the money goes to Adam Silver. So Silver and Tilman stans are the ones in here complaining? Y’all are the ones missing that money?

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

If that’s true then Raptor fans are as dumb as y’all